Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 07:49

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Christmas Letters 2014 The Reveal 1 Jan 2015
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 10:08 
Presenting your school report

He's 'on the list' - they don't say who will come, so as our surgery has just merged with another it may be someone we don't know ...

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 10:36 
Scared by a sleep-walker
Scared by a sleep-walker

Hope your SLOC starts to feel better soon and that whichever GP you eventually see comes up with some helpful advice/treatment.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 11:22 
Dashing off for your part in the play

So sorry to hear that.

I am afraid I will not be able to post the final letter as I am away from a computer all weekend. If anyone is able to post it for me I would be very grateful. Unfortunately 70 sociology essays are going to take precedence over everything else this weekend.

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 11:35 

That's OK - I can do it now I'm here all weekend anyway

Doc should be coming this afternoon.

ETA - his own doc has just phoned so thankfully she will be coming within the hour.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 13:24 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

Too bad SLOC is sufficiently unwell that you have to miss your Folk Dance weekend, Abbeybufo, but good that his own GP will do the visit herself; she may even have been by the time you see this. Sending positive vibes.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 15:11 

Thanks, yes she's been & we've done the right things - ie given him paracetamol yesterday, not taken his normal prescription drugs today, kept him in bed, etc. She's going to try and speak to the hospital in case they think he should stay off any of them longer. Meantime of course, he has the Trimeth to protect against infection, and more paracetamol to bring the temp down.

He's perked up enough at the moment to be reading the local paper. :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 15:48 
Climbing with your knees bent

Hope he continues to improve

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 17:19 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, Ruth. I'm also sorry, to a lesser extent, for Elle. I have often heard teachers complaining about how long it'll take them to mark our work (with scant regard for the many torturous hours we spent actually doing the work!)

Everyone's mad but thee and me, and thee's a little mad...

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 18:36 

Someone the Younger wrote:
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, Ruth. I'm also sorry, to a lesser extent, for Elle. I have often heard teachers complaining about how long it'll take them to mark our work (with scant regard for the many torturous hours we spent actually doing the work!)

So you have to multiply your time by the number in your class, to get the time she may have to spend :lol:

He felt well enough to shave just now, and doc has rung back, having spoken to surgeon who did the procedure, and they have taken him off the blood-thinning drug for a week to allow the area to heal more quickly.

I'll post the letter for 23rd tomorrow, and the one for 24th on Sunday, then. Still fairly brain-dead today...

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 20:53 

abbeybufo wrote:

So you have to multiply your time by the number in your class, to get the time she may have to spend :lol:

20 students in the class, the mock exam lasted two hours, so two times 20... That is 40 hours at least. My weekend is going to be hell! And on Monday it is the A2 mock, so that is another ten essays.

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 21:02 

Well, our last English teacher said that it would take her about half an hour to mark each of our CAs, and it took us about 15-20 hours to actually do them, so...

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 22:23 
Asked to help with the play
Asked to help with the play

Sorry to hear about cancelling weekend plans Abbeybufo, hope he continues to do ok.

On top of that 30? 25? times half an hour, so at least 12.5 hours, remember that it will be rare that they only are marking or dealing with only one class at a time, so you have to consider that that needs to be multiplied by the other classes they cover.

So consider half an hour per student, probably some longer, then several students, times multiple classes and to finish off consider that those things will be being done on top of the lessons they are actually taking, lesson plans, training, other admin and out of hours things teachers often have to do. Never mind adding a household or family to look after!

I'm not expecting you or your friends to have thought of those things, Someone, I know at your age I had no understanding of just how many extra hours teachers do, but it's certainly not a job for the faint hearted ! Particularly in today's world of constant audits, targets and short staffing in most jobs.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 22:57 

I must say I'm surprised that it takes that long. When I was marking GCSE history I reckoned on about 3 minutes per paper. Admittedly it was source based questions which mostly demanded short answers but I would guess that the people marking the essay based questions were going at about the same speed.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015, 23:02 

They were proper epics, those essays!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 00:50 

On reflection, it must take a long time to write on comments and make notes of marks which you don't have to do as an exam marker.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 13:05 

Drabble-a-thon sounds good. It is such a pity, though, that your weekend is off.

I'm not saying I don't appreciate all the hardship (for want of a repeatable better word) teachers have to go through to make sure we get good marks, it's just it's really hard work for the pupils as well, which teachers don't often seem to think about.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 13:08 

Thank you Ariel - and don't worry. I've been trying to find positives in all this, at least from my own POV, and the first one I thought of is very much a Pollyanna one[!] that if SLOC had been well enough to take me to the dance weekend yesterday I still wouldn't have the energy to do any dancing, so it's a good thing that I didn't go. I am feeling a lot better, but still horribly tired.

The second is that if I'm here I can carry on sewing up the blanket I'm making [knitted squares] which would have been too awkward to take away, which gives me at least a fighting chance of being able to post a pic of the completed thing - it also needs a border - in time to enter the competition being run by the organisers of the knit-along. But I couldn't think of a third ... but of course it's being around to post these last 2 Letters! - which I've just done :)

This business and the exam/marking thing has rather hijacked the thread! :oops:

Just seen your post, Someone - and although you don't realise it at the time, education is all for the pupils' benefit, and you need to be taught to work hard ... it don't get any easier in the world of work.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 17:50 

I'm it's just it's really hard work for the pupils as well, which teachers don't often seem to think about.

I think you will find we do. And after all, I assume students do want to pass their exams and that does require work on the their part!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 18:30 

I know, I know, I know! That wasn't meant to be a dig at anyone, it's just there's no-one else here to look at it from the pupils' perspective!

Happy smilies:

:D :D :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2015, 20:34 

Just had an email from Joy about this. She will honour anyone's wishes about how these letters are credited. So if you wish your real name to appear against your letter[s] please PM me. If I don't hear, or if you let me know your preference is for your CBB name to appear, then that is what will be shown. Just let me know - default is CBB name; any other name you want to appear in the November NCC Journal, PM me.

Also, whether or not your real name appears, Joy is offering that you get a copy of that issue, so PM me your name and address as a separate thing so you can be sent the magazine.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 07:49