Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 29 May 2017, 21:57

Post subject: Communal Christmas drabble - started 08.12.15
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2015, 19:27 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Does anyone fancy taking part in a communal Christmas drabble? This is not to rival the advent drabbles in anyway, but I found the start of a Christmas drabble I wrote last year and never got far with, and I thought it could be turned into a communal drabble if people are up for it?

It would have to be posted on here as I have no idea how to do a communal drabble on the SDL.

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Last edited by Elle on 08 Dec 2015, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Communal Christmas drabble?
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2015, 23:29 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Ooh, gofrit! Communal drabbles are always fun (and, I think, permitted in Stacie Benson?).

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Communal Christmas drabble - started 08.12.15
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 15:36 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Ok, well I am going to start it off...

It isn't set in any particular time period I don't think.

Twas the night before Christmas,
And all through house,
Nothing was stirring,
Not even a mouse.

Actually that isn’t quite true. Something was stirring and it was considerably larger than a mouse. Also, it wasn’t the night before Christmas, it was the night before the end of term, although that did mean the night before Christmas would be in a few days. Or, to be strictly accurate, in a few nights. And, to be fair, there were actually a few mice scurrying around the Middle’s Common Room, picking up any remaining bits of tuck that the girls had left. Anyway, I digress, something was stirring. Something dangerous. Something large. Something like Nell Wilson.

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 15:54 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

"Why I should have to be the one to dress up as Father Christmas, I don't know," she muttered to herself. "Do I look like a big fat man with a white beard? Oh well, at least it means I'll get to bag all the mince pies and glasses of sherry that the girls've left out, and I'm sure I'll find somewhere to shove Rudolph's carrots. Actually ... no, better not. Now, all I need to decide is what I'm going to do to Jo Bettany to get her back for falling on top of me at that stupid Fairy Tales sale."

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 19:43 
Reserving an embroidered picture

As MIss Wilson thought these words, snow was falling gently outside the school building, and the Maynard's car was picking its way carefully across the snow-covered road as Jack returned from a long and difficult day at the Sanatorium. Joey heard the sound of the engine and dashed to the kitchen to prepare coffee and sandwiches for him, it being a rare night off for Anna.

Looking back towards the school, Dr. Jack thought for a moment he saw Father Christmas. But shook his head thinking he was over-tired, and entered his home, shouting robustly for his wife.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 21:43 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

"I've just made you some delicious sandwiches", she said, emerging from the kitchen clutching an ominously piled plate. "Sauerkraut and marmalade, with a slice of smoked salmon..."

Jack gagged and looked sternly at his wife. "I thought I had made it clear that the next time you produced something like that I would force the results down your throat? Now just go back into the kitchen and cut some cheese and pickle ones and chuck those in the bin"

Joey flounced out of the room, muttering to herself about old fogies and stick-in-the-mud husbands.

ETA (Hmm just noticed we seem to be in a time travel scenario, not sure if it's intentional or not :? )

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 22:47 

cestina wrote:
ETA (Hmm just noticed we seem to be in a time travel scenario, not sure if it's intentional or not :? )

:( no, accidental.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 22:49 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Jayne wrote:
cestina wrote:

:( no, accidental.

Ah well, we'll just have to work with it :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 23:13 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

Meanwhile, in Leafy Dormitory, one small pupil was tossing and turning, unable to get comfortable, unable to relax on this last night of term, whether from excitement or incipient scarlet fever it would be difficult to tell ...

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 23:19 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

Matron, who always slept with one ear open, heard the small pupil's tossing and turning from the other end of the school and was out of bed and into her slippers and dressing gown in a moment. Seizing her emergency night kit, whose contents included bandages, a thermometer, a flask of hot milk, several bottles of her infamous patent doses, and the home telephone numbers of every doctor at the San, she set forth on her quest to discover what latest calamity was about to befall the Chalet School.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 00:20 
Glad to be back at school
Glad to be back at school

She paused at several dormitory doors, but found nothing amiss until she came to Leafy. Here she could hear the steady breathing (and a few gentle snores) of seven sleeping schoolgirls. However the sounds coming from the eighth cubicle were very different. She crept in and found Con Maynard, eyes closed and muttering wildly, struggling to get out of bed.

Meanwhile Father Christmas (aka Nell Wilson) had also heard something and came to investigate. She also appeared through the curtains of Con's cubicle, and in doing so tripped over her too-big boots and landed with a crash, waking Con who screamed loudly "Father Christmas is real!" before falling back into a dreamless and peaceful sleep.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 01:49 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Nell stood up and then stared at Con in bewilderment. She realised that she must have indulged rather too freely in Santa's sherry earlier in the evening. Otherwise how could she possibly have thought she was back in the days when Joey had crash-landed on her?

Fortunately Matey was too preoccupied with Con to notice Nell's somewhat-the worse-for wear state and Nell slithered out of the room before she could be taken to task.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 08:47 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

However, it was difficult to slither when you were dressed up as a jolly fat man, and Nell managed to get herself stuck in the doorway.

"Dammit! Why can't Santa Claus be a snake?" she muttered.

At the word 'dammit' Matron's head whipped round to see who had uttered such a profanity, and was somewhat gobsmacked to see Santa (Nell's fake beard had been very expensive and also looked just like the real thing) swearing and trapped in the door of Leafy.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 18:45 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

Unknown to anyone, except her late sister, Matron had a phobia of Santa Claus. As a child, she had refused to hang up a stocking in her bedroom, for fear of a strange man entering it in any way. At the sight of Santa, stuck in Leafy dormitory's doorway, her well-known self-control deserted her utterly. With a scream like a banshee, Matron ran down the corridor, leaving a trail of suddenly-woken schoolgirls in her wake as well as scattered bandages and broken bottles.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 18:58 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

Meanwhile back at Freudesheim, Joey's mind had moved off sandwich combinations (at least of the food sort).

"Ja-aack," she cooed softly. "Please dress up as St Nicholas again...
it's our last chance before the girls come home from school tomorrow. I must say it was a brainwave to have them as boarders even though the school is next door."

Cold, tired and hungry, Jack nevertheless brightened. This role play had really livened things up, especially the possibilities of Joey's lime-green demon tail....

At that promising moment, however, there came a loud knocking on the door.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 21:24 

With a few long strides, Jack threw open the door to find Tristram Denny outside, in the snow without a hat or coat and very much not himself. It wasn't clear whether he was ill, injured or just plain drunk. Jack pulled him inside, settled him in his study and called to Jo for hot coffee and blankets.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2015, 10:41 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

It took Jack only a few minutes to realise that Mr Denny was drunk. The vital clue that gave this away was when Jack removed Mr Denny's coat and four empty bottles of gin fell out.

Mr Denny lurched forwards and gazed madly into Jack's eyes. "He is here.." he slurred. "I've seen him. The Fat Man. We are all doomed..." and then he passed out.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2015, 10:48 

"Does he mean Father Christmas?" Jo asked in confusion.

Jack shook his head. "Far, far worse than that," he said grimly. "He means Jem. Well, he has put on a fair bit of weight lately: he doesn't get much exercise since he was thrown out of the golf club in Llan-y-Penllan for administering doses to anyone he thought was playing too slowly and getting in his way. It was supposed to be a surprise, but Madge and Jem have come to visit for Christmas. Unfortunately, I think they've been looking into some of the goings-on at the School and the San ..."

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2015, 12:06 

"Oh no!" gasped Joey. "Not the..."

"I'm afraid so," said Jack, with a grim look on his normally cheerful face.

"But first, what are we going to do about him?"

Joey looked at the prostrate body of the school's singing master. "There's no avoiding it," she announced. "We'll have to call on Gaudenz."

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2015, 12:37 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Meanwhile, back at the Chalet School, Nell was still stuck in the doorway of Leafy dorm.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 29 May 2017, 21:57