Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 06 Jun 2020, 17:43

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Advent Drabbles 2016 - Dec 11th posted
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 15:05 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Thank you, Robin. Another lovely letter.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 15:17 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

Thanks so much. Another beautiful letter!

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 17:26 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Oh that's inspired Robin. One can just imagine the readjustment needed for the family and it's lovely that they are both taking on new traditions, but keeping some of the old ones. Thank you again....

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 01:03 
Arguing from cause to effect

I liked hearing about Bette and that's a beautiful little letter!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 02:03 
Dashing off for your part in the play

Enjoyed this.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 02:30 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

REST DAY POST

A Christmas diary this time, to fill the gap between letters. This is wartime Armishire, just before ... well that will become obvious, I'll let you read and find out.

December 24th 194-

Busy day, everyone seems to have decided to go away this year, even Hilda. I'll miss her, but am glad she is getting a bit of a break. Matey left today too (after coming back in three times to tell me where I can and can't go in the school, and not to upset the housekeeping staff )

What does she think I am going to do ? Run naked round the attic rooms and demand seven course meals from the staff ? Though that does sound quite fun. A little cold perhaps...

Am looking forward to ten days of near solitude so much, it's all I can now not to snap or be sarcastic when the umpteenth person asks me if I am SURE I don't want to join them. They are all so well meaning - I would feel terrible if I did. I just don't want company right now. It's been such a busy term, I am looking forward to absolute peace.

Midnight Mass was a beautiful service. I wasn't sure whether it would be well attended, as so many around here seem to be Protestant, but the place was packed. A good thing, as it was a freezing day. I expect it will be icy tomorrow.

December 25th 194-

A lovely bright day. I have been invited to join the Bettany family - now where did that come from? Madge and Joey haven't been Bettanys for a good while now. Anyway, I'm writing for me, I suppose, so it doesn't matter, I know what I mean !

I wasn't sure whether I wanted to go, but I'm glad I did. The children were so excited, and it was nice to be a part of their childhood memories. I'm glad to be back here though, and settled in my chair. I have left my little pile of presents until tomorrow, I wanted to walk over to theirs for the Christmas meal, then managed a really good hike afterwards. It was very dark by the time I reached the school again, we really must get some markers along that drive for poor weather or low light.

December 26th 194-

Such a peaceful day. It was the turn of the housekeeping staff to worry about me being alone, and to keep trying to get me to join them, but I know they won't relax if I am there. It is very kind of them. I am quite happy with my bowl of soup and bread. The past few weeks I seem to have eaten enough to last me for at least three weeks. I think the cook was quite doubtful of my ability not to set her kitchen on fire, but she obviously decided I could be trusted in the end!

Some thoughtful gifts. Madge, bless her, has bought me the biggest box of chocolates I have ever seen. I am looking forward to making my way through that over the next few days. Hilda thankfully didn't really buy me the book she was teasing me describing. I wasn't quite sure, as it sounded like the type of thing she would love herself. Thankfully she knows me well enough to know I really prefer a lighter read. I seem to have quite a book haul this year from everyone. Three Just Williams and a couple of light mystery novels. Bliss !

December 27th

Beautiful day yet again. Rose at 5 am and only just got back at 9pm. Now that is what I call a proper walk !

December 28th

Rain today :-( At least it gave me a chance to catch up on my lesson planning for next term. Have also cleaned out the staff room cupboard, found all sorts of treasures !

December 29th

Cloudy today though - I feel like snow is not far off. Hate this feeling of pressure on the air, don't know if I dare go far from the school today. I'll go and get some shopping in Armiford instead.

Note to self : buy wine.

11.30 pm - I was right! Snow has begun to fall, I suspect there will be a good coating by tomorrow morning.

December 30th

A bright day, though as I suspected, snow all over. Excellent walk today, love the crisp air and glow of the sun.

December 31st

New Year's Eve! A new year about to begin, hopefully with a few less alarms (fewer alarms? Where is Hilda when you need her for grammar advice?)

Had a nice phone call from my cousin, including a few words with her three little terrors. She is so very grateful for the use of my cottage, I almost wish I could have been there to see the New Year in with her, or taken someone else up on their offer to share their celebrations. It seems very quiet for a New Years eve.

January 1st

New Years Day ! And a beautiful day, bright and sunny, lovely. Managed further even than last week. The countryside around here really is beautiful, although I think I overdid it a little, as I turned in the wrong driveway initially, ended up most confused when the drive didn't go as expected. Am nicely tired though, so feel it was well worth it.

January 2nd

Another clear sunny day, it's almost spring like, if it wasn't for the ice. Muscles aching after another long trek, think I may be decadent and run a hot bath while Matey isn't there to disapprove...

January 3rd

What a change ! It has snowed all day, really heavy flakes of snow and such a wind. I had a lovely day all the same. Curled up all day in the staff room by a big fire, am making good progress both through my book and my chocolates. Very lazy day but such a treat !

7pm - I had to add more, as after all my plans for a lazy day, I have had some excitement - well bemusement might be a better term...

I'm glad Hilda will be back soon, I don't know how she handles mad parents and relatives all the time! Dr Marillar seems to have wished a little semi celebrity onto us. Lavender Leigh herself! To remind myself in years ahead, she is the Lavender from the Lavender Laughs series. The girl's aunt writes travel books for children, and has been transporting her all over the world. I actually said the other day that if it wasn't for the war, I swear she would be next laughing at us from the North Pole ! Now she seems to be potentially laughing at us here, at the Chalet School of all places !

Oh I do wish Hilda was here ! The girl really does sounds like she could be a problem, but I suspect we will have to take her. She has been unwell, isn't sleeping and on top of that 'Auntie' is concerned about being called up. It's not ideal. The girl sounds as though she has very little general education, although her languages are sure to be good.

She has been very sheltered apparently. The aunt was wanting her to be protected from anything at all difficult or stressful, including details of the war. I'm afraid I did get on my high horse rather, as I do feel children should be prepared for the world, not hidden away too much. I know Hilda would back me up if I said yes or no, but I think I will have to leave this one to her. It is her job after all, not really mine. At least Hilda is back soon, I really don't quite know what to think...

Note to self : Buy more wine...

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Advent Drabbles 2016 - Dec 12th posted
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 08:43 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Thank you so much - that was a lot of hard work to put in for a "rest day" post.

ETA - I do love that scene, when poor Nell has just put her feet up with a good book and a box of chocs and then some really annoying person turns up unannounced. We've all been there :lol: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Alison H on 12 Dec 2016, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 09:02 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

So that explains why Bill received Lavender's aunt and not Hilda. Many thanks, Robin.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 11:07 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Loved the ups and downs of the week - very revealing of your Nell's character. Thanks Robin.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 11:47 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

The rest days too are being delightful! Thank you Robin.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 12:22 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

So good to see Nell happy and enjoying her peaceful Christmas. And buying more wine. :D (NB was it rationed?)

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 13:05 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

sealpuppy wrote:
So good to see Nell happy and enjoying her peaceful Christmas. And buying more wine. :D (NB was it rationed?)

Don't know the answer to that but I was wondering about the big box of chocs. Surely they were rationed?

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 16:17 

Great diary! I always wondered about the chocs - maybe Madge had been hoarding them since before the War!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 18:05 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

Highlight of my day reading these. Thank you.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 19:08 
Learning all about Matey!

Mine too! Thank you all the Robins.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 20:44 
Scarlet fever!
Scarlet fever!

Love Nell's diary! Glad she genuinely enjoyed her Christmas alone. Thanks to all the Robins for some interesting insights which EBD missed out, but fit so well into what she did write.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 21:37 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Lovely. H&N obviously have contacts on the black market.

"Nothing happens unless first a dream." Carl Sandburg

We must not project modern ideas onto our ancestors, nor make them fight our battles

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 22:31 

Loved this. So Nell!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 23:03 
Being taken down a peg or two
Being taken down a peg or two

Have been having a mega catch-up! Thanks to all the Robins - it would be invidious to comment on any individual one, because they are all glorious.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Advent Drabbles 2016 - Dec 13th posted
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2016, 07:31 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

The problems of being a multicultural child – as other Robins have already pointed out –mean that the following person decides to write two letters. Here’s
Letter One

Liebes Christkind,
Mamma and Papa tell us that you bring the presents we get on Heiligabend by the Christmas tree. We aren’t allowed to see the tree before it is decorated though. We have to wait till a bell is rung and the children are let into the room. Even though we aren’t living in Austria any longer Mamma and Papa say it’s important to keep up our traditions. When this horrid war is over we hope to go back home. In the meantime we are lucky to be in a safe place.
I say thank you to God for that in my prayers but I expect you talk to him so please can you thank him for me too? This year I’d like us to go on feeling safe. It was very scary for Mamma when Papa was left behind at the Sonnalpe. Gisel and I were too little to understand properly at the time but I’ve heard the story of his escape with Auntie Jo, Uncle Jack, Miss Wilson, Robin and some other pupils and now I think it must have been horrible for them all. It was awful when Tante Frieda was taken away to the Isle of Man too. I don’t know why she was as Papa and Mamma weren’t. Please don’t let anyone take them away!!
Please can you also ask Him to keep Onkel Bruno safe? He is away fighting and I know that Tante Frieda worries a lot about him even if she has got Auntie Jo to cheer her up.
If you see Opa Florian in Heaven, please can you say we love him very much. Gisel and I remember the fun we had playing with him. The others don’t really remember him. Oma Gisel, Mamma and Tante Maria are very sad that he isn’t here anymore but they are very proud of the way he stood up to the Nazis. They say he was a special person.
As for other presents, I don’t mind what I get – some sweets and chocolate would be nice. Are they on ration in Heaven? Perhaps a new board game?

Liebe Grüße,
Natalie

Letter Two will follow later today!

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 06 Jun 2020, 17:43