Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 22 Sep 2019, 12:08

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Advent Drabbles 2016 - Dec 9th posted
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2016, 12:12 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Thanks to the latest Robins - good to see things from an 'outsider' perspective.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2016, 15:28 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

I always thought Betty could make good!

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2016, 17:34 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Two girls with very sad back stories, both of whom make good. Lovely Robin(s), thank you .....

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2016, 17:41 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Thank you Robins. Betty and Polly's letters brought tears to my eyes.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2016, 17:44 
Sharing a joke with the doctor
Sharing a joke with the doctor

Oh, poor Betty! That brought tears to my eyes. But she accepts her fate willingly and acknowledges her wrong-doing. I bet she'll be a cracker wherever she ends up in the services.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2016, 21:54 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

Betty's letter lovely but then they have all been lovely. Well done all!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 00:26 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

Two apologies - one is that this is being posted very slightly early, as I may not get a chance tomorrow, the second is that we are now going slightly back in time, as the instruction I had was Guernsey/Early Plas Howell, hope it isn't too confusing, perhaps decide the letter was found slightly late !

Dear Santa Claus / Mr Father Christmas in case you aren't used to Americans.

I've put your name on this, as Peggy and Rix Bettany are determined that I need to write to you, and they were watching me make a start, but if you don't mind, I'm going to ask you and or God to pass this on to Mademoiselle Therese Elise Lepattre.

I am writing this in French as they are very suspicious that I am not really writing to you, so please can you apologise to her if I make any errors. I'm afraid I've neglected my French grammar a bit since she fell ill, and I think the staff have understood why, and not been pressuring me to be as accurate as normal. It's surprising how quickly one can forget which ending goes where, and fall into the slangier French we all use when speaking. I think she'd understand, but I wouldn't want you to think she hadn't taught me well, as she did.

A friend of theirs (apparently named 'Bad Bill' - so I guess he'd be on your naughty list!) has told them you don't exist and they are a little sad about that, so I wanted them to still have one more Christmas at least slightly believing in you if they could. I thought I could just pretend but these two are smart little souls, and so I had better be writing something real. I have already had to add a bit extra to the title, as they didn't believe me that I called you Santa when I used to write to you. I had to explain about American people not always calling you the same thing as English people.

If I could ask for one thing from you or our lord it would be to be able to speak to Mademoiselle again so if it isn't too sacrilegious then I guess that is the present I would want if I still wrote letters to Santa. So perhaps in a way you have already given me that gift, as I do feel a lot better for the idea of this letter to you and Mademoiselle.

So here is my letter to pass on :

Mademoiselle, it's hard to think that you won't be there to tell these things to either at Christmas or after. Poppa is trying to make his way here but it's been hard to get away, travel is becoming less safe. Though he doesn't say so in letters, I know he is helping fund some sort of underground resistance, and from something Bruno and Frieda said I think he doesn't want too many obvious connections leading to me just in case his cover is blown.

You would say to me 'He will be thinking of you Cherie, even if he is not here' as you did so many times when I was a brat of a youngster. I didn't really understand then that sometimes things can be more important to the world than wanting to be with your kid, but now I have more of an idea of the good he does, I am almost proud he isn't here. It doesn't mean I don't miss him, especially this first Christmas without you, but it doesn't hurt the way it did sometimes when he was away.

It has been a busy term, we've had a Nazi in with us - Gertrud - she's actually a good kid. I was going to ask for her to have news of her mother, but we found out she has had news she thinks hopefully she is safe, so that is something to be thankful for.

Peggy is looking at my letter and asking why it doesn't have a list, so please excuse the short sentences, at least it will perhaps make the grammar less of an issue!

My list :

Some better fitting glasses. They have taken the measurements, and I have temporary ones but say the proper ones will take about 2 months, at least these aren't slipping down as much as they did.

A smile from Maria Marini. She is better - calmer - in some ways now that she knows Onkel Florian is gone, but she seems so thin and sad still, I would love to see her just slightly smile. I think it might be too much to ask so soon after everything, but at least she is out of danger.

A new pen would be nice, this one is quite scratchy now.

Please excuse the Gache cake fingerprints over that last bit, Jackie Bettany wanted to help, so he has done a scribble for you that I am told is a picture of you in a chimney.

I'll add some things I am thankful for too. Peggy says that is alright if I don't want much for Christmas, and I think I'd find that easier right now. I somehow don't want presents, I feel I've been given so much with my safety, and that of Poppa and my eyes.

I'm so thankful for my eyes. I hurt them, as you will already know I'm sure. I burnt them when we had a plane land here. I thought for a moment I would be blind and that scared me more than anything ever has before.

I'm thankful for Joey and Jack. They have offered me a home over Christmas, though it's their first as parents and back together as Jack was ill.

That's another thankful thing, Jack Maynard being better, and able to be here for this first Christmas with the Trips.

I nearly forgot - I'm thankful for Rufus being home. It somehow feels so much safer with him here, and I'm so proud of Poppa for helping get him here. Joey is over the moon, and I can see he already adores the Trips and is happy to guard them and her. He won't go far from Joey though yet. She says she gets overheated as he keeps leaning on her to check she is really there, but I can tell she loves it really.

I'm thankful that you were spared the worry of me being hurt Mademoiselle. It sort of helped, as now the war has really been brought home to me, I can also be pleased that you aren't having to cope with the uncertainty and I'm especially glad you don't have to deal with your illness any more.

Thank you, whoever ends up reading this, it has helped to write it. I'll seal this now and add it to the ones the kids are sending. Peggy has done a drawing for you on the envelope for me, and Sybil has made a stamp with the sticky paper, so it is probably the longest and most decorated letter you've had from me!

I wasn't the most creative child, if I remember rightly I was more concerned with making sure you knew where we were staying each Christmas. It's funny now to look back, but I realise that is something the school has given me. Even if the location wasn't always where I slept at Christmas, I do remember a feeling of home, Mademoiselle and Madame made me feel so secure and welcome. I'm trying to pass that on, by being around for young Biddy O'Ryan when I can. She reminds me of when I was small in some ways, although I do have Poppa of course. But I can see that Bill - Miss Wilson - is taking the sort of place that you did for me Mademoiselle, and Joey taking the place Aunty Madge had for me out of school. I want if I can to make sure Biddy knows she has someone else though. Even if it is just to teach her how to do cartwheels better !

Joey says she now sees home as wherever She, Jack and the Triplets are, and as I sit here, surrounded by these little ones, who have become almost like cousins to me now, I really understand that. It's not the Sonnalpe, and it's not perfect as Poppa might not be able to be here, but I do have a home, and I think that will always be there, whether I am physically with them all or not.

So my last note, is to be thankful for my Chalet School family.

With love,

Cornelia Flower

P.S I'm sorry for an even messier letter, but I opened my envelope to add one more thing! Poppa has just arrived and is able to spend a whole week here ! He went a round about route, so he thinks it should be safe. Thank you Santa/Mademoiselle/God, whichever of you (or perhaps all of you) are aware of this letter. Merry Christmas and a thankful and happy New Year.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Advent Drabbles 2016 - Dec 10th posted
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 00:43 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Once again, such a moving letter. Poor Cornelia, finding and then losing someone like Mademoiselle was so hard for her.

Thank you Robin. (I cheated and read it still on the 9th :) )

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 01:19 
Putting up a good show
Putting up a good show

It's still the 9th for me, too, but as I'm on Canadian Eastern Time, it's actually the 10th in the UK!!

Thank you, Robin, you have conveyed Cornelia's uncertainties, as well as her Christmas wishes, so clearly and very movingly. Mademoiselle will always hold a very special place in her heart, for all the mothering she gave her when she first came to the Chalet School, and it's clear how much she still misses her, even though she knows the Maynard and Russell families will take care of her. I'm glad her father was going to be able to spend Christmas with her.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 08:58 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Sorry, that's probably me confusing everyone with the dates :lol:. What a lovely letter from Cornelia - thank you, Robin.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 09:31 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

Oh this was so lovely. Thank you Robin!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 10:22 
Battling with Matey
Battling with Matey

Thank you Robin - why were our letters to Father Christmas not like this when we were kids?

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 10:29 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

That was lovely, thank you. (Though I have to admit that for a split second I had a You what? moment when I thought Jackie's drawing was of Mademoiselle in a chimney. :) )

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 10:53 
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne

Thank you, Robin, for another lovely letter, especially the bit about Biddy at the end.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016, 13:25 
Fifth Form!
Fifth Form!

Although I haven't commented before, I'm avidly reading and enjoying these Advent Drabbles. Each one has been special in its own way.

Thank you to all the Robins. :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 01:34 
Arguing from cause to effect
Arguing from cause to effect

I loved Cornelia's letter! Thank you!

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 09:05 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada. 6th December 1941
Dear Santa
This year instead of celebrating St Nicholas Day, Mummy has said we should write to Santa Claus, because we are Canadian now.
We have both been very good and helped Mummy and Mr Smith on the farm. Sometimes it's really cold in the morning milking the cows, but Mummy likes it, especially when it snows as she says it reminds her of Austria where we used to live, when Daddy was alive.
We would really like bikes for presents. They don't have to be new but a boy’s bike for a nine year old and a girl’s for a seven year old would be great. Then we could bike to school and back, as it's so far to walk. Mummy likes to walk but everyone here laughs at us because they drive everywhere. Mummy says when she was little she used to ride in a sleigh on snow, just like you! But she didn't have to walk to school because she slept every night at school most of the year. And it was only girls, no boys at all!
In the past lots of people from Europe came here ,but now we have had to stop speaking German outside, because some people might think we are Nazis. Mummy says we can still sing our Christmas Carols in German and she will teach us some she learnt at school for the Nativity Plays they held every year. She can sing some in French and Italian too. I suppose you must understand every language because you have to answer all the letters and deliver all the presents to children all over the world.
We wonder if you could tell us if you really have a reindeer named Rudolph? Mummy's friend from school, Louise, sent us a copy of this story, last year. We like it a lot and we know what it's like to be seen as different.
And do you have any Robins to help you? Cecilia gets her name from a girl Mummy used to know, but they called her Robin. Sometimes when we see our wild robins we think of her and wonder if she remembers us. She is in England somewhere and they too are at War. But it all seems so far away. We’re glad you still give presents to all good children no matter which country they live in.
And last of all, please, can you bring a present for Mummy too? She really needs a new clock as our old one has stopped working and she says she left her only other one with her friends when she left school.
We must go and give this to Mummy to post tomorrow. Mr Smith says if we send it to the North Pole we might get a reply!
Danke… und Froliche Weinachten!
Von Giovanni und Cecilia(Robin) di Bersetti

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 09:09 

Thank you Robin: that was lovely.

I always wish we'd heard more about Bette later on. She was one of those characters who seemed to get a lot of unhappiness heaped on them :( . It's nice to think that she and the children made a happy life for themselves in Canada.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 09:24 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

Lovely, thank you. I agree I like Bette, and would have liked to hear more about her. This is a nice letter showing the positives and negatives of the move for the children. Thank you. :-)

ETA and thank you other Robins too, not sure when I last commented!

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 10:34 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Quote:
We like it a lot and we know what it's like to be seen as different.

So many nice touches in this one. Did Bette give her clock to the prefects' room? Also, the date for Rudolph would be just spot on - very impressed by the eye for detail, Robin :)

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 22 Sep 2019, 12:08