Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 25 Apr 2017, 05:55

Post subject: SDL losing popularity?
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 09:31 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

There rarely seems to be anything new there. Aquabird's Sunlight and Shadows is LGM only, like Lesley's latest RCS. Are people getting scared of their writing being stolen perhaps? :)

Last edited by Katharine on 20 Apr 2015, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: SDL losing popularity?
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 12:11 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

I've never posted on the SDL. I was on hiatus from the CBB when all the fic was moved to the SDL, so I missed the initial introduction to it, and I guess I'd have needed it, since any time I go there it just looks like a mass of confusion to me. I much preferred the old way of posting fic on forums that we had here, so when I found LGM I was delighted, and that's what I stick with for my new drabbles.

TLDR: for me it's personal preference.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 20:17 
Swept off by Matey to pack

Lesley's never used the SDL either. I think she prefers the other format.

Are people who used the SDL writing elsewhere or not writing? I know it's the latter for some of us.

Last edited by JB on 20 Apr 2015, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 20:27 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

I used to use SDL - and also LGM - but I've not written anything for a year or so. I think a lot of people are just not writing.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 21:00 
Discovering that JMB lives next door
Discovering that JMB lives next door

I like the SDL & it's the only place I post, though I have occasionally posted in LGM as well. I just don't have any inspiration for writing at the moment as Real Life has had to take priority which leaves me with very little brain on an evening to think about finishing the many stories I have in various states of completeness.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 21:21 

I've had no inspiration for writing for at least two years - it's frustrating! One day I may drabble again both in the SDL and LGM.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 21:35 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I haven't written a long drabble for an embarrassingly long time ... and I'm sure Hilda wouldn't approve of someone using "long" twice in one sentence :lol:.. Not enough time to get stuff out of my head and on to the computer.

I've posted the shorter ones I've written on to LGM first, because I like the format, and then on to the SDL en bloc when they're finished. I know that some people very admirably post every update on to both fora, but that can be time-consuming, especially as the formatting's different and I have an annoying habit of putting lots of words in italics :D .

Looking at LGM, only four drabbles (other than one-off short drabbles) have been updated during April. Maybe we all need either inspiration to strike or real life to give us a break!!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 22:55 
Reserving an embroidered picture
Reserving an embroidered picture

Real life needs to give us all a break I think! I have the ideas and inspiration but know that I'm struggling to find time to settle down to write at the moment, though knowing me, when I do start I'll probably end up with loads of stories at once. SDL always goes through phases though, does seem to be all or nothing.

It does seem often to be that once one or two people get back to writing and posting it triggers the rest of us to get the plot bunnies working too.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2015, 01:29 
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep

Seconding - thirding? whatever-number-ing - the idea that real life should give us a break! I have been writing a little, just not CS fics... but I always try to post everything on both SDL and LGM (and fanfiction.net, and AO3, and livejournal, but that's because I'm archiving-obsessed!)

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2015, 07:13 

There is far too much real life around at the moment.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2015, 10:21 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

Echoes that thought, though RL has taken a turn for the better and is starting to settle down in some senses, so MBH is almost finished (at long last). I may do some shorter drabbles afterwards but do have other things I need to finish, which have been on hiatus. I like posting on both, so tend to post in both LGM and SDL

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2015, 10:39 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

RL has taken over for me too.

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2015, 13:28 
Lamenting the amount of work

Yup, RL for me too. Are we all turning into adults or something? :shock:

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2015, 13:40 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

Abi wrote:
Are we all turning into adults or something? :shock:

I sincerely hope not!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2015, 15:34 

No. If we were adults, we would have doctor-SLOCs and domestic staff to sort out RL for us, leaving us free to write as much as we liked :wink: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2015, 15:36 

Oh yeah, that's right... *goes off crying*

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2015, 16:31 
Very much in quarantine
Very much in quarantine

So am I now the only one posting regularly on SDL? :roll: I can see I'm the only one there this week but thought that was just a hiatus. I know ND is not to everyone's taste, but I do seem to have a regular following on there, mostly members who don't post a lot on the board here.....

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2015, 16:33 

I do wish that people would post on SDL as well - as I boringly keep repeating, I find LGM trickier to read because of the background colour and I also haven't managed to get the font size big enough. But that's probably just my inefficiency. And it is really really hard to see on the tablet.....

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2015, 17:13 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

In fact there are not a lot of dribbles being posted on either of the CS related Boards at present,
If you look at who is posting MaryR and Lesley, either of who have exams coming up, and Amanda posting in her vacation, before going back to study it says RL is busy for many.
Exams-whether setting them or sitting them, spring cleaning, and family committments are probably the cause of the slow down. If you look at the number of unfinished drabbles some authors have, (myself included) I think we must all be wanting a break from RL with a servant to cook, clean and care for the children or sit or mark the exam papers.
Perhaps we all need what I long for a break by the sea with my laptop and internet connection so that we can complete our master pieces and start new one,

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2015, 17:30 
Declaring it to have been the best term
Declaring it to have been the best term

Sitting here as one who enjoys reading the drabbles, and admiring the fount of creativity they reveal, I have noticed that the flow of drabbles has diminished in the last year or so, both here and on the LGM. I can quite understand that posting in both places takes time, partly because of the different formatting involved - kudos to MaryR and others for continuing to do this.

I know that there are certain people whose writing I've enjoyed in the past and now miss, though I know at least one of them has plans to remedy that before long.:) I have to assume that in most cases, RL, for whatever reason, is preventing people finding time, or even inspiration to continue writing.

I've just seen what Pauline has posted, which has popped up while I have been writing this, and I agree wholeheartedly with all her points. I think it's a simple evolution rather than real lack of interest, and wouldn't be surprised to see a resurgence of writing at another time.

Meantime, while I do read drabbles both here and on LGM, I second Cestina's plea for people to post here as well - I'm another who finds the background and the very small font size a not inconsiderable challenge to deal with. :( Blame it on ageing eyesight if you will, but regrettably, it's the truth.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 25 Apr 2017, 05:55