Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 30 May 2017, 04:34

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Member Hints for SDL
PostPosted: 13 Aug 2011, 19:08 
Reserving an embroidered picture

Lol - I just assumed it was me, and actually put SDL too, despite knowing that it is in Ask the Librarian ! Have edited AGAIN to correct !! :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2011, 09:19 

Have noticed something else - the overall star rating goes down as there are more 'reads' and reviews of a story.

That should mean that over time the rating system with the stars will be quite a good measure, as a story that gets plenty of stars and reviews from different people over time will keep its stars, wheras one where perhaps only one person is enjoying it hugely will gradually go down in stars.

Another thing that have tested this week is that an author can change the title of the story. Though in general wouldn't be good to be doing that, it can be useful if adding to a previously archived story, as the author can put "New update" or a date in the title if they want.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2011, 14:35 
Asked to help with the play

That latter might be a good thing Beecharmer... I've noticed that on occasion I 'miss' an update, and only discover it later when another chapter or two is added. I then get Very confused as to where I left off reading... I know date things aren't always going to help with this, but at least it helps to add to reasoning - maybe if dates are put in the chapter headings rather than in the actual title... *goes off to think*

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2011, 15:18 

Yes thats a good idea, I might start doing that now, as I'm updating more randomly (and more random drabbles!)

If people have a story favourited however, the confusion can be avoided by clicking on the link within the earliest e-mail that you have, since that takes you to the actual chapter. You can then click Next to read the next bit, and keep going until you are caught up.

I have noticed that there still don't seem to be as many people using the favourite story option as I might expect, and that really does make keeping up with where you were reading a lot easier

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2011, 20:30 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Beecharmer wrote:
Have noticed something else - the overall star rating goes down as there are more 'reads' and reviews of a story.

Oh, I thought it was an average - so someone might rate it 10, but then someone else only rates it 2, so overall it's 6 and you get three stars, so it would alter a bit each time someone rated it. One at least of mine went up over time, not down.... Though the fact remains that over time it should become a useful tool, whichever way it works.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2011, 15:39 

It could be - that was what I thought was happening to begin with, but I noticed that the star count changed without any stars being given.

Yours woukd go up over time if someone gave stars on a new chapter. It shows the stars against each chapter so I would have thought that it would show the smaller stars if they were being given.

I assumed that if someone didn't give a rating it counted it as zero stars, so it may be the average works that way.

Not that it matters, it just made me feel better, as I'm a very all or nothing person so either gove none or over 8, and it worried me I might skew the system doing that, looks like I don't either way, which is good !

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2011, 16:03 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Beecharmer wrote:
I assumed that if someone didn't give a rating it counted it as zero stars, so it may be the average works that way.

Wouldn't that be grossly unfair? I never rate and don't intend to start. And I only rarely leave a review......

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2011, 17:24 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

No; the ratings people give are the only ones that count. Some people rate but don't review hence your not being able to see them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2011, 17:29 

ETA - Thanks Mia, its interesting to know that.

I think it will be a good system over time, since probably the ratings / reviews will settle down such that if something longstanding has any stars it tells you a few people liked it, or that there are a few star worthy chapters within it. I don't think the number of stars will matter long term, which I am glad about as a reviewer, since I don't think you can really rate fiction comparably, different stories appeal to different people. I see my own giving of stars as just a way to say thank you when I feel something has really entertained me above and beyond the norm.

As a story writer, it is quite nice when people do give reviews, as it tells you that you are on the right track, also from my point of view wiih a rather chatty nature (possibly the understatement of the century...) it gives me an opportunity to say hello back, and know who might be interested in sneak peaks or being involved in how the story goes along or which way the story could develop further.

I like hearing what people did and didn't like, whether by review, email or PM, or where they are wibbling about something , since it tells me people are actually getting into the story. But equally, many people just want to read, as you say, and it is nice that the SDL also counts reads too, as it gives an indication that people might be enjoying it even if they are not reviewing.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2011, 22:35 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

This may just be me, but I haven't posted any ratings with reviews yet because none of the stories I've been reading since drabbles moved to the SDL have finished yet and I'd rather post a rating on a whole story than on an individual chapter which might only be a few paragraphs long. I agree that it's good to get reviews, though: I find it's much easier to keep going when you're getting feedback.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2011, 02:14 

Another thing I wondered, was whether people are tending to log in or not? In my experience it does make reviewing much quicker and easier than doing anonymous ones. A few seconds logging in avoids having to do all the spammer avoidance tests and also lets you look at your list of favourites, so you can see if there are any updates, even if you don't use the email notification system.

I have actually found the SDL to be very good with respect to it's cookie (or whatever it is.) I barely ever have to log in, unless I actively chose to log out. While most sites I don't like staying logged in, the SDL works well and seems stable like that. It also makes adding favourites etc easier, as you are already logged in.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2011, 11:22 

I prefer to stay logged in. Means I've always got my preferences selected for comments and the like.

The odd occasion it's logged me out though has left me Very Confused. And half the time I can't really work out what the words are supposed to be and get them wrong anyway, so I prefer to be logged in and not have to worry about that!

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2011, 11:29 

The reviewing thread has thrown up a possible fix fpr people who are having issues with SDL and IE9 so I thought I would post about it here.

If you log in, go to Account Info at the top, chose Edit Preferences, you can then take the tick away from the "Use Tiny MCE Editor"

That seems to avoid a lot of the problems with both posting stories and reviewing even in IE 9. It sounds like people have been having to remove the editor every time, which is a real pain and seems to be possibly causing the conflict.

Thanks to Abbeybufo for pointing that out, and others for confirming that they don't have problems with IE9 which suggests if people still have problems it is a settings issue of some kind rather than an issue with the SDL. :-)

Hope that helpd

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011, 18:52 

Have just worked out another thing people may not realise - if you go to the account settings, you can chose to have the chapter list show up when you click on a story, rather than going straight to first chapter. It just means you can see what chapters have been posted straight away and go to the right one, rather than having to use the list on the drop down box.

It looks like quite a few people aren't doing this, as the first chapter of any drabble often has strange numbers compared to other updates.

It took a bit of getting used to but I did find navigating stories much easier once I had.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011, 22:25 

Beecharmer wrote:
It looks like quite a few people aren't doing this, as the first chapter of any drabble often has strange numbers compared to other updates.

It took a bit of getting used to but I did find navigating stories much easier once I had.

I would have thought that was just first chapter drop off? I never click on the second chapter of anything that doesn't grab me immediately.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011, 22:36 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Mia wrote:
Beecharmer wrote:

I would have thought that was just first chapter drop off? I never click on the second chapter of anything that doesn't grab me immediately.

That's what I assumed, too...

I always just click on the title of the story and that brings up a list of all the chapters so that I can choose which one I want to read.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 22:55 

No, I assumed that too, for ages - but the numbers on the first chapter are huge, whereas the others are very similar each update.

I only realised what might be happening when unchecked the setting by accident and it started taking me to the first chapter.

Doesn't bother me, after all it will be the same number of people doing it for everyone, so doesn't affect much, but I wondered if readers found it annoying and didn't realise that they could change it.

Any readers found this happen?

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2011, 08:35 
Discovering that JMB lives next door
Discovering that JMB lives next door

I didn't know it was a setting you could do, but I tend to go in to each story through the table of contents link. It only diverts me to the first chapter if it's classed as "mature".

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2011, 12:02 

Yes, I do the same. But if you have the 'display chapter list' option set up, then if you click on the story name it takes you directly to that contents list, so you can chose the chapter you want. Neither route is better than the other really, but it might be that readers aren't realising that they have a choice with the name, and are not using the chapter list as much.

If you don't have that set up, then if you click on the story name it seems to send you to chapter one.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 19:08 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

I'm not sure whether to post this here but I cannot connect at all to the SDL. I'm getting a bad pathway message. Is anyone else having this issue?

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 30 May 2017, 04:34