Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 02:51

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Member Hints for SDL
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 19:12 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Hi Roversgirl, I'm having the same problem. I've just posted a query in the SDL 'problem' page.

Visit http://www.encorebooks.co.uk and http://stores.ebay.co.uk/encorebooks for a wide selection of secondhand and new children's books (including ones published by GGBP, Bettany Press, Greyladies, The EJO Society, Books to Treasure and Fidra Books)

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 19:13 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

Thanks!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 19:17 
Drinking gin out of a Russian doll
Drinking gin out of a Russian doll

I've flagged it to Liss - hopefully it's just a temporary glitch!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 19:19 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

Thanks, KathrynW.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 22:33 
Asked to help with the play

In case anyone else is having problems with the linking to your drabble / profile page on SDL, it is quite simple.

The bit that I find faffy is the making links pretty bit, but there's no need necessarily to do that, as SDL story links are quite tidy.

Go to your story / profile page on sdl

Copy the web address that usually shows in the top bar on your browser.

Paste it into a post on CBB. It will automatically work as a link.

For example my author page is

http://www.sallydennylibrary.co.uk/viewuser.php?uid=9

And my latest Alternative Joey update is :

http://www.sallydennylibrary.co.uk/view ... chapter=55

Similar principle applies to LGM, only obviously the person will have to log on there to get through.

If anyone has any problems with this, let me know and I'll help if I can.

You can make it prettier using the following, only using [ brackets not ( - I've done the ( brackets as otherwise it won't show up

(url=copiedlinkhere)What you want to call it(/url)

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2014, 23:49 

Two things here. One is relating to links again, which is that if you want to link to your LGM update as well as or instead of SDL, you go to the page containing the post you want to link to, just as you do with SDL chapters, and copy the link. That might not take someone exactly to the update you have posted, but it will take them close. Might seem obvious to those already doing it, but worth saying un case anyone is having problems.

Second is for authors reposting or posting on the SDL. You can put your stories in Series reasonably easily, and at any stage.

Just chose to Add a New Series. Once you have a series you can add stories, or remove them if you add them by accident, then use the arrows to change the order of stories in a series. You can also put stories in a couple of series if you want, for example if they are your own AU but also done for a Day Girls challenge etc.

A lot of people already know this, but thought it might be helpful to know that you can do it and amend at any stage, not just when posting the drabbles.

Also for readers, if you click on the series, you can see the order that the author might have either written the drabbles or the order they suggest for reading them.

In the case of authors with a lot of drabbles it can be a very useful way of helping readers find the drabbles, as there is a limit to the number of drabbles that show up on a personal drabble page.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2014, 23:53 
Receiving support from the form
Receiving support from the form

Beecharmer wrote:
Two things here. One is relating to links again, which is that if you want to link to your LGM update as well as or instead of SDL, you go to the page containing the post you want to link to, just as you do with SDL chapters, and copy the link. That might not take someone exactly to the update you have posted, but it will take them close. Might seem obvious to those already doing it, but worth saying un case anyone is having problems.

You can also click the title of the new post you want to share (the bit in green on LGM) and copy that link, and it will take you to that post.

Like so.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2014, 16:25 

If you get to the end of reading a chapter and want to review, then realise that you aren't logged in, it can be a pain, as once you log in you have to go back and find the story chapter you were reading.

If you keep the page with the story open, open a different browser tab and log in, then go back to the original browser window and refresh the page. You can then just go ahead and write the review quickly and simply. This works on safari, but would guess it should work with most browsers.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2014, 00:34 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

I was just casting a modly eye over the SDL and would like to raise a few points for your consideration:

1) Drabbles that are classed as 'mature' should be put into St Mildred's please. There seem to be quite a few sculling around the other fic houses at the moment.

2) Please only rate your drabble as 'mature' if it actually is? That is if it contains explicit sex and violence references and would be rated 18 if it were a film. There also seem to be a few fics that don't seem to fit into this category. Also please note slash drabbles don't necessarily need to be classed as mature unless containing explicit sex scenes.

3) Grammar and spelling really add to a drabble's readability. If you would like someone to read your drabble before it's posted (a beta reader) please do ask on the CBB! I'm sure someone will be pleased to help.

4) Don't forget to use a genre for your work - e.g. romance/angst/drama - it helps people access types of drabbles they might want to read.

Merci

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2014, 21:38 
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep

Why can't you move your own drabbles between houses if
neccessary?

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2014, 21:47 

You can change the house in the edit drabble options, so you can. I've occasionally started as mature as I wasn't sure if I was going to write things that might get more serious / graphic and then changed it later once sure that it's ok for general.

I thought it ought to be mature if a major character dies or covering subjects that might be triggering for people?

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2014, 21:52 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

I'd assume it's because people can make a judgement call about whether they want to read it, by which house it's posted in, and if it has explicit (St Mildred's) content, it will always have that content in the drabble.

"Nothing happens unless first a dream." Carl Sandburg

We must not project modern ideas onto our ancestors, nor make them fight our battles

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2014, 22:40 

You can put more adult drabbles into St M's without marking them as mature - mature is really so people aren't confronted with an explicit sex scene or similar without warning even if they do go into St M's.

Re character death, if it was a Game of Thrones death then yes it should be mature but no need to mark as mature just bc someone major dies per se. EBD herself killed off enough characters!

Triggers should perhaps be more appropriately used in author's notes but Liss isn't too worried about that.

As a broad recommendation things that should be mature - rape, violence, self-harm, explicit sex scenes, abuse

Things that shouldn't necessarily be - bullying, depression, alcohol, illness, same sex relationships, the sort of drabbles I would describe as sex farce iykwim.

Anything I've missed?

If you need some guidance you can always post here or pm me - happy for feedback & discussion too. But please don't stress over it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2014, 01:12 

Thanks, that does help.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2014, 23:25 

Are there various mods on the SDL like here? Since Liss does'nt actively post here anymore (a bit of a shame), perhaps she does'nt visit the SDL either. I suspect the house/rating of some of my drabbles may have been modded but can't be sure.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2014, 08:48 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

Can I refer you to Mia's posts above? As you can see she mods in SDL.

Tan with mod hat on

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2014, 10:19 

Nobody can change your ratings because the SDL software doesn't work like that. We can change the house but nobody has done this ever - we rely on authors choosing the correct house based on the guidance.

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2014, 11:03 

Katharine I've just had a look and your three drabbles are in Ste Scholastika. That's the house for crossovers. Are they crossovers though? You might want to put with which fiction/film/etc they are crossing with.

If you put your fic in the wrong house then you probably won't get as many comments as if it was properly categorised.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 May 2015, 16:38 

As a reminder, if you want to know a story has been updated on SDL, the "Favourites" system is good, you just have to make sure you click to add that story to favourites, then click again on Submit to add it fully.

Not for everyone if SDL is busy as you get emails, which can get annoying when busy. But it does help when the SDL is quiet as it is now, and when updates aren't as regular. Or if they are very regular you can leave the emails notifications unread or in a folder until you can read the drabble and the last one unread will probably be where you left off. Each email takes you directly to the chapter.? It is worth logging in on SDL first though if you plan to review, then clicking the email link.

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 May 2015, 16:18 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

Something odd is happening when I try to post a story on the SDL. I go to 'Add New Story', fill in the title, house, genre, story text etc. etc., then when I click on Preview, it says in the box with the drabble details that it is part of two different Series; EBD unit and Maynard Madness. :? What's that all about, please? I have nothing to do with either of those series and don't see how on earth it's connecting my drabble to them? :dontknow:

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Stacie Benson's Reading Notes
It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 02:51