Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Thrilling Terms at La Rochelle
It is currently 10 Apr 2021, 12:47

Post subject: Collecting the Armada books
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2021, 12:46 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

Do you remember when they published the Armadas in the 80s and 90s? They were all published out of order and there was the huge list in the front of each with the ones in print in bold. Looking back it was really nice going into the bookshops and seeing what you could find. I got a lot as presents and spent my pocket money. I remember buying about five in Malta when I was 11 because they had a huge selection in a bookshop and the bookseller was really happy that I was happy. I also had some of the older ones secondhand from village fairs and jumble sales and charity shops.

Then the final ones were the holiday books, which I bought when I was at university. There were always the elusive few you couldn’t even get though. I didn’t read Bride until I got the GGBP version.

Then some delayed gratification from reading the uncut versions for the first time!

I can’t believe GGBP have nearly republished them all. It’s quite an achievement really.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Collecting the Armada books
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2021, 14:07 
Swept off by Matey to pack

My first Armadas were the 1970s ones which didn't have the full list, just "also in Armada". The list varied depending on where Armada had got up to at that point. Then I got the odd "first style" one (Exile was the first one I had) and they had even fewer books listed.

I did go on to collect the Armadas as they came out (not buying the ones where I had a hardback already) except for "Oberland" which I could not afford at the time (but luckily the Children's library had a copy). I found the list showing what's already been printed and what was still to come very useful in the pre-Internet days.

Now (shuffles feet) I have all the Armadas in the different covers (...as well as hardbacks and GGB copies).

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2021, 16:33 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I honestly didn't realise that they were cut until years later, and I don't even remember thinking it was weird that they were out of order :lol: . I started reading them when I was about 8, and maybe you just don't question things very much at that age. W H Smith used to stock them back then, so it was easy to get any which had been recently printed.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2021, 18:07 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

I read them very much out of order, first I read was Jo to the rescue when I was about 8, it was the only one in what passed for a library at my junior school, then no more till about 12 when I was in hospital, and the girl next door lent me the first 4. After that I read randomly ones I was given and borrowed. I enjoyed them, but my first love, was, and still is, The Abbey books which I also read out of order, with lots of gaps as it was when the only ones available were those in Collins Seagulls. I don’t think in either case I found random order mattered though was always pleased to fill in the when I found them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2021, 17:31 

I assumed that any EBDisms in the books were the result of printing errors (for example, Miss Edwards becoming Miss Edwardes is one book) as 1970s paperbacks were riddled with such errors. Reading out-of-order disguises continuity faults as well.

Once I realised the books were abridged, that was another way of getting round some of the peculiarities. If there was a dangling storyline, I just assumed that it had been lost to the abridgement.

In some ways, reading the paperbacks was easier...

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2021, 18:21 

When I found out that the Armadas were abridged, I assumed that some storylines, such as Phil Maynard being ill with polio and how Biddy O'Ryan came to go to Australia, had been cut. But they hadn't - they just never existed!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Thrilling Terms at La Rochelle
It is currently 10 Apr 2021, 12:47