Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Thrilling Terms at La Rochelle
It is currently 29 May 2017, 08:44

Post subject: Re: Janie Steps In - some thoughts
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 11:36 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

I agree with KB. I know people think Len has led a sheltered life, which she has to a certain extent. However, she does interact with a number of people on the Platz and presumably Winifred Embury's sons etc. Also, doesn't Veta have sons? While I think Len's engagement is certainly too early, I think she has far more in common with Janie, and she is strong enough to know her own mind.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 12:00 
Attending a prees' meeting

KB wrote:
While I agree with everything you say about Janie, she is protected and cosseted by two older sisters and was kept away from the majority of society with only one consistent friend although plenty of people move in and out of her social circle.
Except that she does go to Paris to study music and perfect her French...

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 20:21 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

Noreen wrote:
KB wrote:
While I agree with everything you say about Janie, she is protected and cosseted by two older sisters and was kept away from the majority of society with only one consistent friend although plenty of people move in and out of her social circle.
Except that she does go to Paris to study music and perfect her French...

Isn't that when she's older though? I'm never really clear on the chronology of Janie's younger life, but her early years in France are spent with a governess, so isn't she in her late teens when she's there? It would have much the same impact (if not more so) as Len going to Oxford. And yet Janie still comes back to marry Julian. The only real difference is their engagement, which in all likelihood was an authorial inclusion rather than a realistic one because EBD knew she wouldn't be around to continue the story.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2015, 02:00 
Exams...
Exams...

On a completely different tangent - did anybody find the apple scene funny?

Even afterwards, when Janie wants a picnic and her cook suggests apples she goes into hysterics and even the cook finds it funny when told the story. Then Nan goes into equally wild laughter when recounting the story.

How would you tell the story -

The family bought lots of apples by accident. We then spend hours trying to find places to store them.

Am I weird for not even smiling?

cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2015, 09:01 

Amusing rather than side-splitting, I'd say, Joyce - but then I'm not really a 'laugh till I cried' kind of person anyway.

The Apple Riot does amuse me because it plays in my head as a silent movie, with the characters moving faster and faster, and ever more desperately - and there can be an element of this in slapstick humour, which I don't normally like, but odd examples do work for me:
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WRdJ5wBXpo). EMBD was a bit older than my father, but was probably equally familiar with the slapstick tradition of early cinema (inherited from the music hall and burlesque).

Sorry about the mini-essay - I did a seminar in movie history at university and some of it has obviously stuck, even after all this time!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 02:24 
Exams...
Exams...

Agree, I can see the slapstick humour in it if you actually participated in the event at the time.

But I really can't see the amusement value when telling the story to someone else. I have a strong feeling EBD and I would not have shared a sense of humour. :D

It's up there with the book of Chalet School Legends which apparently recounted funny incidents in the history of the school. Why would you care about what happened to a girl you never met or heard of?

Incidentally, I went to a friend's kid's school play the other night which was full of "in school" jokes. I sat there bored to death thinking "it's like a Chalet School pantomime."

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Thrilling Terms at La Rochelle
It is currently 29 May 2017, 08:44