Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 29 Jun 2017, 10:11

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Books: The Mystery at the Chalet School
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2017, 08:10 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

When Robin arrives, someone - it might even be Juliet - says how pleased Amy'll be that she's not the school baby any more. And Sybil strops when Rix calls her a baby in Exile, when she can only be 3 or 4. That all seems much more realistic to me than Robin wanting everyone to kiss her goodnight, when she's 9!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2017, 12:50 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

Joyce wrote:
jennifer wrote:
Another example would be her reaction to anyone who didn't adore the Robin - it's well meant, but also emotional and impulsive. She doesn't have the maturity to realize that fawning over a nine year old, no matter how cute they are, is not really something you can reasonably expect from a teenager (or even an adult).

And Madge tells her off for it as well! Some people are just not the baby fawning type. I am much more likely to play with and want to hug a friend's pets than the children.

Audrey25 wrote:
Cannot work out why I am not keen on her.

To me, it's the way she reforms and becomes boring! Other people like Cornelia reform but stay interesting and fun.

Cheers,
Joyce

That's a good point Joyce. She does lose her personality. :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2017, 13:18 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

I think I may have pinned down my dislike of Juliet in her too-good-to-be-true persona. I think I have always envisaged her as this character. Does anyone else remember the film?

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2017, 17:07 
Deciding to learn Russian
Deciding to learn Russian

Goodness, what high melodrama, cestina! :lol: I'm afraid I don't see Juliet as being like Rhoda at all. I'm not enamoured of her, particularly, but I can see why she might change after Madge's incredible kindness to her.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2017, 19:00 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

In defence of Juliet, she has grown up knowing she is not wanted by her parents; she has been abandoned once in India and probably her school-mates there knew about her "caddish" father and mother. I can see her being over-whelmed by Madge's kindness and willingness to give her a fresh start and that she is probably going over-board in her efforts to make good. Having been rejected again by Donal and his sister, I do wish she had had the strength to reject him and not fall into his arms. I like Juliet!

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 10:25 
Learning all about Matey!

lizco wrote:
In defence of Juliet, she has grown up knowing she is not wanted by her parents; she has been abandoned once in India and probably her school-mates there knew about her "caddish" father and mother. I can see her being over-whelmed by Madge's kindness and willingness to give her a fresh start and that she is probably going over-board in her efforts to make good. Having been rejected again by Donal and his sister, I do wish she had had the strength to reject him and not fall into his arms. I like Juliet!

Juliet has always been one of my favourite characters; she had such a rough time with her parents, and I think her reform is like you say, down to her trying to make up to Madge for getting a fresh start.
When Donal (and Kay) come along she probably felt much the same, here was someone who really cared for her, and she wasn't going to let that slip away. A desperation to be loved, to find her place in life.

'Well,call me Aunt Fanny on my tombstone!'

Rosalie in 'Theodora...'

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 18:01 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

Caroline wrote:
Back in the day, getting an "annual" for Christmas was a quite normal thing, whether related to your favourite girls magazine or related to your favourite author.

We always used to get annuals (not Chalet School - I didn't actually like the series much when I was younger, only coming to it when I was in my late teens or early 20s) after Christmas as my mother and/or grandmother, whichever it was who bought them for us, used to wait until they were reduced to half-price!

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 21:23 
Being taken down a peg or two
Being taken down a peg or two

I still get the Dandy annual for my dad every year - they start selling so early that I can get it for his birthday instead of Christmas. (He thinks it's ridiculously dumbed-down since the days when he collected the comics, but still enjoys it!)

I wonder if the cinema disapproval thing, if cinema was so new at the time, was just *because* it was new? Like people looking at someone reading a Kindle and going 'huh, who needs that new-fangled yoke, a REAL book is better'?

'huh, who needs a cinema, a REAL actor on a REAL stage is better!'

Of course, the people who are now pointing out that you can carry your whole library to work without breaking your shoulders would have been pointing out that the cinema gave time for the actors to perfect the performance, and for more people to be able to see something if it ran for longer than a theatre show, and for more locations and things to be included...

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 22:38 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

I don't think theatre and cinema are in the least comparable. They both have their good points.

The acting for live theatre is different from the acting required on the TV / cinema where the camera can zoom in. I think stage acting has to be more exaggerated because the audience is further from the action.

Occasionally on TV I have seen an actor perhaps more used to the stage going a bit over the top with his/her actions.

On the other hand the cinema gives us the chance of seeing locations/actors we might never otherwise have the chance to see, especially those of us who live a distance from London.

I love live theatre though and amateur productions especially have a charm of their own.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 29 Jun 2017, 10:11