Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 05 Dec 2019, 23:08

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Miss Annersley's successor
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2019, 08:51 
Giving a Junior an order mark
Giving a Junior an order mark

jennifer wrote:
The other thing is that Nancy is the senior maths mistress. She's not going to be doing Head duties plus her teaching duties, so they would really have needed to hire a temporary maths mistress for the term.
She might have been able to put in some of her normal teaching schedule, but I agree not all - the heads of both my schools also taught, though my grammar school headmaster only did so when we were a year without an RE teacher, and he had two deputies as well as the school having a couple of office staff.

What always strikes me in Challenge is that I feel the conclusion that Nancy would be no good as head is a bit hasty. I'm not saying that she would have been right for the job - probably more of a natural deputy - and she's evidently not entirely comfortable, but this is after just one term, and no allowance is made for her lack of experience. Surely most people would not get everything right, under the circumstances? After all, even Miss Annersley is occasionally less than perfect, as with the Gertrud Becker episode.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2019, 17:38 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

In the spirit of exploring all possibilities, three solutions present themselves to mind.

The first is to kill off a family and husband, a device used by EBD already, leaving the person with so much time on their hands they return? ( A whole new topic on Who/ Where/ When and How?)

A better one: Biddy can do what so many teachers have done, return to full time work and achieve rapid promotion...

The best, would be...Mary Lou! She has as many qualifications and qualities as Madge did when she started School...

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2019, 22:35 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I don't know how many outsiders would want the job - unless they went for a Swiss national, and I'm not sure they'd have done that. OK, plenty of people take teaching jobs abroad, but usually either the jobs are extremely well paid or the person is, like Kathie, someone young and looking for adventure, rather than someone with years of experience. Quite apart from the trilingualism issue, it'd mean living in the middle of nowhere, with very little to do outside the actual school - not like teaching in an international school in somewhere like Lausanne or Geneva. Even a Swiss national might not have been keen, unless they were from the area.

I think Biddy would do a good job, if they'd accept someone going home at the end of the day, which I'm not sure a boarding school would. Or they could really go modern and Eugen could move into the school with her!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2019, 22:52 
Asked to help with the play
Asked to help with the play

Her accent might be an issue though...

I think that the difficulty in finding an outsider would depend on how prominent and prestigious the school was. If it had a very good reputation there would be more chance than if it didn't.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 05 Dec 2019, 23:08