Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 05:37

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Books: Change – Gay from China at the Chalet School
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2020, 15:35 
Being taken down a peg or two
Being taken down a peg or two

We were delighted that my father lived to be presented with the Légion d'Honneur, as he was a Normandy veteran. That was a wonderful, wonderful party, and we learnt things about his war service (which he never spoke of, although we always knew he'd been wounded when the man behind him trod on a mine in Holland) that we had never known.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2020, 13:22 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

Weren't kids in Liverpool still playing on bomb sites in the '50s, if not the '60s as well?

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2020, 13:52 
Saying you only know three German words

There were certainly bomb sites in Bristol in the 1960s. Buddleias were known as the bomb site bush since they grew so profusely there.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2020, 20:03 
Reserving an embroidered picture
Reserving an embroidered picture

I remember going to London Zoo in the mid-1960s and riding on the top of the 'bus. There were still many bombsites visible then and my grandmother was very forcible in telling me that you shouldn't play in them because of the dangers of unexploded bombs.

I lived in Sheffield at one point. The road in which I lived had a house missing at the end because of bomb damage and that wasn't replaced until the 2000s. Technically, children were still playing on bomb sites up until recently!

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2020, 18:15 
Very much in quarantine
Very much in quarantine

Alison H wrote:
Things definitely took a turn during the war years. Hilda’s reaction to the news of Jack’s death was to quote from the Bible and tell Joey to trust in God that Jack was still alive. The chances that he was still alive were very remote, and it wasn’t really an appropriate thing for Hilda to say – shouldn’t she have offered her condolences and asked if she could do anything to help, rather than give Jo what was probably false hope? .

But for anyone who believes, Alison, it wouldn't have been false hope at all. Faith asks us to put our trust in the Lord, even in the worst of circumstances, when things seem hopeless. We know He holds us in the palm of His hand. Jo would have understood exactly what Hilda meant - though her feelings did rather run amok at the thought of being left alone to bring up the girls, didn't they? :? But that's also understandable. The Lord understands tears...

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2020, 21:34 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

lizco2 wrote:
There were certainly bomb sites in Bristol in the 1960s. Buddleias were known as the bomb site bush since they grew so profusely there.

I remember those!

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 05:37