Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 16 Jul 2020, 05:12

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Adult Matters- Cornelia of the Chalet School
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 03:55 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

Cornelia of the Chalet School is the first fill in book written by Jackie Roberts, which was self published. It is set after during and after ‘Three go to the Chalet School’ and follows Cornelia on her journey back to America. It is during this voyage Cornelia meets her future husband Max Van Alden who is accompanying a Dutch girl who lost both her parents to a death camp in Poland during the War. Cornelia is also reunited with an old girl from the school. The book covers a number of adult matter, amongst which are men who will pretend to love Cornelia for her Father’s money, concentration camps and prejudice towards Jews; and the complexities of love and marriage.

So what did people think of the book? How did people like the relationship between Cornelia and her Father and how he handled Cornelia’s suitor who was only after her money? Did people think it was natural he would ask for Madge’s help?

What did people think of Maarje and how she handled having to move to America? Or of Max’s attempts to differentiate between Germans and the Nazi’s? Is there any way an non-European or even a non-Jew at the time could ever comprehend the magnitude of what happened in Europe at the time?

What did people make of the Graf and Grafin’s marriage and relationship? And what did people think when it was revealed who the Grafin was and told us her story?

Please discuss this and anything else you may think of

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Adult Matters- Cornelia of the Chalet School
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 15:41 
Discovering you have to be trilingual

I don't have a copy of this fill-in and haven't seen it on the usual sites. Where can I get a copy?

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 21:11 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

I haven't got this fill-in but it sounds interesting and I'd like to hear what people think about it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 21:32 
Glad to be back at school
Glad to be back at school

I'm another who has not read this, so quite intrgued!

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 22:08 
Learning to play Lacrosse
Learning to play Lacrosse

Me neither - I did see it on ebay, and Cornelia is one of my favourite characters, so I was tempted, but the cover illustration didn't draw me in!

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 03:45 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

I have to confess various comments about the editing turned me off buying it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 10:54 
Drinking gin out of a Russian doll
Drinking gin out of a Russian doll

I think I bought my copy via Amazon although it doesn't seem to be in print anymore. The author is a member of the board, tiernsee, so maybe she'll be able to help point people in the right direction.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 10:58 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I looked for one on Amazon recently, but the only one they had was nearly £50 :( . It does sound interesting, though.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 14:47 
Buying your school uniform

Thanks for all the interest. Sorry I haven't been on for a while, I've had some personal issues since October which are fortunately resolving now but have really taken it out of me.

Anyway, yes I am the author. I agree the cover is not typical Chalet School and this is the most consistent negative feedback I've had. I also agree that the editing should have been done professionally (I relied on aa retired secondary school English teacher and my persuasive powers with the publisher that it really didn't need more.....). However, I have had good comments about the story and characterisation which I am very grateful for. Out of interest my second fill-in novel which follows this story and covers Madge's time in Canada is being edited properly and seeing how long it takes makes me realise that the editing on the first book was a bit inadequate. The second book, "Surprises for the Chalet School", will also have a more traditional cover.

For anyone interested in buying a copy of Cornelia I know that the publisher still has a few copies available. They previously gave a special price for CBB members (I think it was £12 including free UK postage, postage overseas at cost). If anyone would be interested please pm me and I'll pass their details on or e-mail the publisher direct at yersiniapress@talktalk.net

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 21:10 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Speaking as someone who has read the book :lol: I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was great getting to see Cornelia as a young adult, and the new characters introduced were really well developed. My one complaint is that the plot around one of the characters we meet seems unlikely in that we never hear about it in any of EBD's own stories, but then that's something that I find with all the fill-ins so it's only a small complaint, really!

I thought Cornelia's relationship with her father was very realistic, especially given that she spent her teen years at school, and while he does spoil her the two never seem particularly close. It would make sense for him to turn to Madge, too - presumably he'd know her quite well, and Cornelia had spent a lot of time with her and her family.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 23:20 
Playing the competitions
Playing the competitions

I read this recently and I did find the plot very enjoyable and the book hard to put down, especially once Cornelia & co get on the boat. I also liked how new characters were introduced with ease, and the more adult like themes which were tackled. I think the two teenage girls were both realistic as well, and both of their problems/misfortunes were portrayed well.

Going back to what was being discussed earlier regarding the editing of the book, I'd be interested to know if the editor was a CS fan? When I was reading it certain phrases or descriptive words were used where to me EBD would have used something different. I find that EBD tends to consistently repeat certain phrases when writing about certain individuals and I'd be interested to know if writers of fill in's try to capture the full scope of EBD's writing style or if they try to put their own stamp on it?

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 17:06 

Sorry for not replying to your questions been away in Germany and Switzerland.

No, the person who edited it for me had no experience with Chalet School books and this was the first one she had read.

When writing it I didn't try to copy EBD directly but tried my best to keep the ambience and atmosphere of the books. I definitely tried to make the characters act as they do in the main series and kept to the physical descriptions. I wanted to avoid someone reading the book and thinking but they wouldn't have done that....

In response to the comment about the "surprise revelation" in the book and that EBD had not mentioned it in the series I tried to cover this by having the person who received the revelation being sworn to secrecy...

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 10:15 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

That worked for me having Cornelia being sworn to secrecy, so I could accept it never being mentioned again.

Is Maarje going to make an appearance?

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 18:47 

Yes, Maartje makes an appearance in the next book. The next one is set around six months after Cornelia finishes which coincides with Madge and Jem being in Toronto.

Hopefully, if the editing process ever finished (!) it will be out in a few months.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 23:00 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. You'll annouce it on the board like last time won't you?

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 12:11 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

This was quite compelling and I too enjoyed the second half of it more than the first. I baulked a little about the revelation that someone had been at Bletchley Park during the war - that was still an official secret until decades afterwards and the character was blithely shouting it out in a café. The Honourable/Right Honourable thing was a bit of a slip too but on the whole quite a good effort. Look forward to reading your next.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2011, 22:26 
Arguing with your guardian

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed this book. After reading this discussion I managed to get a copy and read it very quickly. Much preferrred Thelka here!
Wendy

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 May 2011, 22:07 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

Have just finished reading this. Tiernsee kindly put me in touch with her publishers and I bought a copy from them. I really enjoyed this, especially the second half and thought the characterisation of Cornelia and her father were good. I didn't like Jo so much. The details of the ship were brilliant and I look forward to your second book.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 05:56 
Arguing with your guardian

Hi Jackie,

Could you please tell me if the 2nd book (surprises) has been published? I couldn't see it anywhere, but I noted it was mentioned here and there.

-Carly

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 May 2013, 10:39 
Being rude to your sheepdog

Does anyone know where I could buy a copy of Cornelia? I didn't know it existed until I saw this thread but then realised it was from 2011. I am very excited to find out there is another fill in that I haven't read!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 16 Jul 2020, 05:12