Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 26 Sep 2017, 10:18

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: The Bettanys on the Home Front
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2016, 20:21 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Madge says that Ted came to see them in the summer holidays when he was home on leave, so that would suggest the summer of 1915 (or even 1916), which would have been after this book ended ... but, if he was a career soldier, he could have been "home on leave" in the summer of 1914 as well. Or the book could have been extended by a few weeks to cover the summer of 1915. I agree that it would have been nice to see Ted, because there really aren't any tie-ins with the CS books other than the mentions of Mrs Cochrane being ill.

I'm trying to think what else she could have used, a decade before School At. Maybe we could have seen the Burnetts and the Denes, and possibly Eustacia's auntie and her family, and we're never told how Mlle Lepattre had lived in Taverton so there's no reason she couldn't have turned up as well.

I assume any future prequels will also be set in Taverton, but the Bettanys' holiday at the Tiernsee would be good topic ... although tying it in with the wartime dates wouldn't work at all!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2016, 20:35 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

[quote="Alison H"and we're never told how Mlle Lepattre had lived in Taverton so there's no reason she couldn't have turned up as well. [/quote]

Mademoiselle does get a mention but she's only described as "Mademoiselle" and she's working for one of the relatives (possibly in London - good gracious, I've just read the book and I can't remember!). At least I assume it is she as this fits with the back story she's given in TBTH

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2016, 22:27 
Chosen for the Lacrosse team
Chosen for the Lacrosse team

claire wrote:
I always imaged that Spider was actually Ida

My mother's name was Ida and my cousins used to call her Aunt Spider.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 15:52 
Arguing with your guardian

Coming late to this thread, but one of the stories in Chalet School World is about Ted Humphries' pre-war visit, hence she wouldn't have used it again for Home Front.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 26 Sep 2017, 10:18