Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 23 Jun 2017, 12:56

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: A neglected cold
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2017, 15:21 
Saying you only know three German words

Joey is always described as a thriving child until a 'neglected cold' nearly kills her. My healthy 14 year old came home the Friday before Christmas with a cold -most of her friends had been similarly affected. Six days later she was still unwell, despite a regular diet of paracetamol and practically living on the sofa. She had a bad cough, felt tired and was alternately hot and cold. A trip to the GP, who diagnosed pneumonia - very scary- and said she needed antibiotics. As he predicted, she was on the mend by Boxing Day, and now, ten days on, is flourishing. It has made me realise how precarious health was in the days before modern drugs. Madge would not have been able to offer any effective treatment to her sister and that must have been so frightening for her. Seeing how ill an apparently healthy child could get has made me sympathise with her 'fussing', as an ungrateful Jo would have it.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: A neglected cold
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2017, 15:40 
Attending a prees' meeting
Attending a prees' meeting

Absolutely - and even now, pneumonia is a killer, if only because people don't always realise that they've got it, whereas flu invariably makes people feel so awful they take to their beds.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2017, 17:01 
Lost!
Lost!

Winston and Clementine Churchill's third daughter, Marigold, died at the age of three of a cold and sore throat that turned to septicaemia. The children were on holiday at the seaside with an inexperienced Mamsell, but even if her parents had been sent for sooner, as Supersal says, without antibiotics, there might not have been much they could do. EBD probably knew of other children who died in similar circumstances. And her own brother died of an illness which might have been treatable today.

And still on the subject of neglected colds, good for Her Majesty for not neglecting hers, but staying tucked up in the warm rather than venturing out on a cold foggy morning. If what she's got is anything like what I had this time last year, she'll be barely capable of staggering to the kitchen to make a cuppa and some toast. I hope she feels better soon.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2017, 17:19 

SLOC and I have the royal cold. Been two weeks now. Knowing how poorly and miserable it has made us feel I particularly sympathise with her 90 year old Maj.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2017, 17:23 
Lamenting the amount of work
Lamenting the amount of work

Yes. we've had it too. The cough is particularly nasty, and SLOC says he's felt every one of his 81-and-a-half years!

You really have to make an effort to put one foot in front of the other with this one!

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2017, 17:29 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

And we have found that once the cold has wended its weary way out of the body, the cough lingers on, and on, and on....

One doctor is talking of the 100 Day Cough that has invaded the country.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2017, 17:35 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Princess Anne told people that the Queen was feeling much better :D .

I've just been out for a walk and it was very cold and damp - not that bad for January, but definitely not the weather for someone in their 90s to be out in when they've been unwell.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2017, 20:30 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

I'd had the signs of a sore throat before I became sick with a sinus infection at the beginning of December; it just drains the energy from you. I know how it must have been much worse before the day and age of antibiotics, which they are clamping down on - we had to fight for mine this time.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2017, 20:43 
Lost!
Lost!

I hope everyone who has the Royal Cold feels better soon. :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2017, 00:26 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

I had that cold a couple of months ago. Had to stay in bed for three days and was out of action for nearly a week but it lingered for weeks and the cough went on and on. It was so bad I thought I was going to choke a few times.

The Queen much better off indoors and I hope everyone else who has it gets well soon. Makes me realise how horrible whooping cough must have been. I think I had that as a young child.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2017, 02:30 

Almost seven years ago, I neglected a cold, which turned into pneumonia. That in turn became bronchiectasis, which is a nasty - and permanent - lung disorder. It was, apparently, 50/50 that I merely ended up on the lung ward upon my eventual arrival in hospital, one consultant wanted me moved to intensive care (not that I discvered this until afterwards).

If I had been ill like that in Joey's time, I would almost certainly have died. It is a sobering thought.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2017, 19:17 
Declaring it to have been the best term
Declaring it to have been the best term

I think I had it last year, I was ill for the whole second half of December (just what you need when you're working 12 hour days) and I was still coughing at the end of January. Via some kind of energy sapping virus which put me in bed for a week and was still around in March.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2017, 21:11 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

I had it as an unwanted Christmas present from my 92-year-old father. Two weeks later, when I saw my parents again, none of us were eating or had any energy. I really was unwell until several days into this holiday, with I'm fine now, if a bit low-energy.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 23 Jun 2017, 12:56