Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 01:09

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Books: Jo of the Chalet School
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2017, 21:44 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I've never understood why people should have been made to have bread and water and walk in silence because they were using language out of the classics :?. I thought Madge laughing it off and saying that a bit of slang was OK was far more sensible!

I think Grizel's a really important character in this book. She's the one who suggests starting the Hobbies Club and the one who suggests starting a Guide company and, when she's absent because of her grandmother's death, everyone agrees that it's weird without her. And isn't it Gisela who suggests having a magazine? I really like seeing how the girls' own ideas shape the school in its early days.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2017, 22:09 
Saying you only know three German words

The Christmas in Innsbruck is wonderfully drawn - the sleigh ride, the singing at the Kirkhof and Jo dreaming about it all.
I have always found the description of the Robin as a baby really irritating however. No self respecting six year old would want to be treated as a baby...........

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2017, 22:51 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Carrie A wrote:
The Christmas in Innsbruck is wonderfully drawn - the sleigh ride, the singing at the Kirkhof and Jo dreaming about it all.
I have always found the description of the Robin as a baby really irritating however. No self respecting six year old would want to be treated as a baby...........

There is a really lovely scene in Princess where Robin refuses to used when the girls wanted to practice rescuing her with swimming. And Miss Durrant supports her refusal. I think it showed a hint of Robin having a mind of her own.

I can understand if the Robin regressed in her behaviour in the early days. Her mother died, her father leaves and she is left with strangers who don't have much experiences with small girls or who want to make a pet of her and she goes along with it because she desperately wants the petting she got from her mother, as both of her parents are now gone. It would be hard to revert back when you emotionally feel more up to it, especially when the adults and older girls have been so kind to her.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2017, 18:17 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

I love this book!

Robin is not the only one to be treated as much younger. Amy Stevens is someone else who can't bath herself.
Numerous people are carried up hills and amazing distances by various people including Madge.
And the practice through many of the books of calling the youngest pupils, " the babies or babes" suggests they were treated as very young.

On a practical point would the girls have weighed a lot less? Somewhere in my mind says that puberty was delayed to mid teens for many girls because of low weight?
My mother's 18 inch waist at 21 in 1941, was I reckon a by product of semi malnutrition!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 18:11 

These days, some children's departments class girls aged 1 - 6 as 'toddler girls' (& for boys, 'toddler boys).

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 20:08 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

fio wrote:
These days, some children's departments class girls aged 1 - 6 as 'toddler girls' (& for boys, 'toddler boys).

Toddler??? :shock: Don't they know what the word actually means?

That one belongs straight in the Pedants' thread!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 20:23 

[/quote]
Toddler??? :shock: Don't they know what the word actually means?[quote]

Hey, don't blame me if my Head Office is illogical............!! I just work for the company- but NOT on that department.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2017, 15:01 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

I really like this one, and actually I don't find the Robin too babyish at this point. She definitely has a distinct personality as well. It's in Head Girl that she really seems too young for her age - has it been EBDd by that point, or is she eight/nine?

I think Robin is portrayed as delicate from day one, isn't she?

And all adults in the CS (women and men) seem to be endowed with superhuman strength. Doesn't Madge carry Joey at one point? I'm pretty sure I'd never be able to carry a twelve year old, skinny or not.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 04:16 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

In Jo of, the Robin is little and cute, but not particularly delicate. I think it's the next book where descriptions like "frail little mortal" start to pop up. She's at her frailest around Eustacia and Jo And, where they are concerned that a night of worry could send her into a downward spiral towards death.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2017, 22:04 
Despairing over Geometry
Despairing over Geometry

Elle wrote:
I dislike EBD's portrayal of small children, it is the same with the triplets when they are small. I wonder how much she was around small children?
Well, we know from the dedications to Kenya and Problems that she had at least two god-daughters (whom she must have known from babyhood unless they were abroad and someone acted as proxy), and she probably had friends with young children and grandchildren, as well as coming across them at church.

What she didn't come across, of course, were any young children born after 1969, so those she did meet might well come across to us now as being rather young for their age, and their adults' attitudes a bit old-fashioned - and in the case of this book it's 90 years ago. I actually find some of the depictions of small children in the Swiss books (Geoff Maynard for example) much more trying than anything in the Tyrol and UK eras, and I think the kids in Rescue are pretty realistic, especially Margot jumping up and down for joy in the overflowing bath and also wondering how to get into her vest - I've always thought those were probably from real life, whether EMBD witnessed them or read/ was told about them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 14:18 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Noreen wrote:
Elle wrote:
I dislike EBD's portrayal of small children, it is the same with the triplets when they are small. I wonder how much she was around small children?
Well, we know from the dedications to Kenya and Problems that she had at least two god-daughters (whom she must have known from babyhood unless they were abroad and someone acted as proxy), and she probably had friends with young children and grandchildren, as well as coming across them at church.

What she didn't come across, of course, were any young children born after 1969, so those she did meet might well come across to us now as being rather young for their age, and their adults' attitudes a bit old-fashioned - and in the case of this book it's 90 years ago. I actually find some of the depictions of small children in the Swiss books (Geoff Maynard for example) much more trying than anything in the Tyrol and UK eras, and I think the kids in Rescue are pretty realistic, especially Margot jumping up and down for joy in the overflowing bath and also wondering how to get into her vest - I've always thought those were probably from real life, whether EMBD witnessed them or read/ was told about them.

Me too. And one thing I really like is Geoff and Phil getting deliriously happy when Samaris makes awful noises with her flute, and Joey wondering if it means they're not going to be musical - it's a really nice scene :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2017, 21:12 
Concerned about new girl
Concerned about new girl

MaryR wrote:
I think of this sort of cot as a small, light, mobile bed that can be wheeled in or out as needed, not a baby's cot. I was offered one once when I stayed in hospital with my daughter, so I could sleep beside her.

Going back to the cot discussion, here's an example I ran across last night in one of my favorite childhood books, The Crystal Tree, by Jennie D. Lindquist, published 1959 but set about 1910. Helga is just about to turn 8, and her older sister Sigrid is moving to her own room:
Quote:
"And," said Helga, "I'm not going to sleep in that little baby cot anymore. I'm going to sleep in the big bed with Elsa. Goodbye, cot! We're going to take it right out of the room and put a long table there instead. Elsa and I will each have half the table, with a chair each, so that it will be like two desks."
"Like boarding school, I think," said Elsa.

However, I can't be sure whether Helga's italics means that the cot was an actual baby crib (Ours, which we also contrasted with a "big bed," was plenty long enough for a 7-year-old, though by that age kids climbed over the bars on their own), or the kind of cot Mary's talking about, since in the next sentence we learn that Sigrid will be using a "bigger cot."

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2017, 19:21 
Attending the Fifth Form Evening
Attending the Fifth Form Evening

Coming late to this discussion, so all I'm going to say is that this book still makes me go 'Ah' when I get to the end of it! Love Madge & Jo together, love Christmas in Innsbruck, love Madge's happy ending. Ah!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 01:09