Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 24 Apr 2017, 10:30

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Deira Joins the Chalet School "SPOILER ALERT"
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2017, 07:37 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

“Spoiler Alert”. Please do not read any further if you do not want to know anything about the book. These discussions are completely open for discussion (hence the spoiler alert).

This is the third fill in book Caroline German has written and follows on from her previous book Juliet of the Chalet School. The book follows Deira’s first term at the school. She is the only new girl.
The book starts with Deira’s sister Bella and her Father discussing what they should do with Deira given she has outgrown her school (being the oldest girl by more than a year). Deira’s Father needs to go Ireland, whilst Bella is heading to America for the next few months to meet her fiancé family. Mr Lannis is a business associate of Deira’s Father and he recommends the Chalet School. Deira hates the idea and starts the school feeling extremely miserable about it all.
Deira travels to school with Grizel, Rosalie and the Burnetts and we see the first spat between Grizel and Deira. Meanwhile at the school, Juliet catches a chill and misses the first few days of term.
Mary tries to take Deira under her wing and help the girl settle into the school, a difficult task given how young Deira is for her age and still has a mindset of a Middle rather than a Senior. Despite an initial hiccup of Deira refusing to make her bed, Juliet helps Deira see the reason for all the school rules and her friendliness enables Deira to accept them.
The Juniors start to resent the Middles patronising ways and lock them in their Common room, so they are late for Abedessen. Madame not only ensures they are punished appropriately, she does make the Middles aware the way the speak to the Juniors isn’t all that it should be either.
Deira breaks out again and decides to rag her Form by giving them all apple pie beds and whilt Juliet is able to help Deira develop a more grown up outlook on life, the younger Middles are affected by Deira’s behaviour and a spate of childish jokes are played on the Prefects. The Prefects led by Juliet ensure the girls involved realise their hero worship of Deira isn’t what it should be and the girls are made to feel foolish in a hope to stamp out their behaviour.
Meanwhile Miss Wilson starts practical chemistry and Evadne starts her craze of tasting everything with interesting repercussions, punishing herself effectively.
The staff throw a fancy dress party for the girls as they are starting to get restless with the continual snow and subsequent lack of exercise.
Deira’s Father writes Deira with some unexpected news that she is going to get a Step Mother and again Juliet steps in to support Deira during this time and helps her to become somewhat reconciled to the idea.
The Seniors and Middles have an expedition to Innsbruck for the weekend and Deira bumps into her old Headmistress who breaks the news to Deira that she will be in her new Step Mother, much to Deira’s delight. She and her Deira’s Father marry just before the end of term in Innsbruck with Deira and her sister in attendance
The girls have an outbreak of measles, which Joey becomes extremely unwell with and all the patients are sent to the Sonnelpe to convalesce. On their return the girls decide to put a display of their hobbies and put on a country dancing display as the end of term breakup.
And finally Matron Wilson receives the devastating news her sister-in-law has died and she is needed at home, paving the way for Matron Webb to come to the school

So what did everyone think of this book as a fill in. This is Juliet’s second term as Head Girl. Did people enjoy seeing more of her in this role? Did people like reading the back story of Deira’s first term? Did it match the titbits EBD give us in the series? What did people think of reading more of Madge as Headmistress (EBD only writes 3 books during this period)? Did you enjoy seeing her in this role and being much more the hands on Headmistress than what we get later on when she is married to Jem? What did people think of the Juniors starting to grow up and want to be considered older than they had been? Does this blend in well with Katherine Bruce’s fill in for the following term (which also covers Princess)? What did people think of Grizel and her development or progression in her abilities as a Prefect bearing in mind the role she plays in Juniors and how she was the previous term? Do people feel they could see her maturing and did it seem realistic? I leave further discussion of this for Juniors of the Chalet School.

Please discuss this and anything else you can think of.

BTW There is currently a discussion happening with the next fill in Juniors of the Chalet School. However, this discussion only covers Matron Webb’s role in the book. Would people be happy for me to add to the discussion about other aspects of the book, thereby opening up the discussion of the book or would people prefer to leave it altogether?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Deira Joins the Chalet School "SPOILER ALERT"
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2017, 15:19 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Please don't miss Juniors out. It would upset my sense of order, apart from anything else :lol:. Just a suggestion, but maybe it could be used to discuss the role of Juniors in the series generally?

There are a lot of things about Deira's background which don't add up - probably because EBD seems to have had some rather strange ideas about Ireland, including inventing a name which sounds Celtic but doesn't actually exist except as the name of an ancient kingdom :roll: - and I think Caroline did a brilliant job of reconciling them so that they made some sort of sense! The bad feeling between Grizel and Deira seems to come out of nowhere, so it was good to see that gap in the background filled in as well.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 03:22 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

I bought this book a few years ago but didn't get past the early chapters. I cannot remember a single thing about it. I was never a fan of Deira though and Grizel never appealed so probably not a book I should have attempted to read.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 12:56 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Alison H wrote:
Please don't miss Juniors out. It would upset my sense of order, apart from anything else :lol:. Just a suggestion, but maybe it could be used to discuss the role of Juniors in the series generally?

There are a lot of things about Deira's background which don't add up - probably because EBD seems to have had some rather strange ideas about Ireland, including inventing a name which sounds Celtic but doesn't actually exist except as the name of an ancient kingdom :roll: - and I think Caroline did a brilliant job of reconciling them so that they made some sort of sense! The bad feeling between Grizel and Deira seems to come out of nowhere, so it was good to see that gap in the background filled in as well.

I agree about EBD's confused ideas about Deira's background and that was one thing I remember I didn't like about this book as I had imagined it differently. I'll have to have a re-read, I think.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 24 Apr 2017, 10:30