Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 26 Apr 2017, 03:10

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Joan Baker/Rosamund/Triplets/Problem
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 13:21 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Mabel wrote:
I (shameless plug here) wrote a brief article on this for FOCS magazine a few editions ago. My conclusion was that EBD suddenly got cold feet about her ability to keep the series going/Chambers willingness to publish it for long enough to give Len her year as head girl. Rosamund had been given her reward, because EBD always liked her, but if she did her full term, and if EBD expired/Chambers pulled the plug, then Len might never get to be head girl.

Haha, I like this idea!

Although, as Audrey points out, it is weird EBD didn't make more of a splash about Len becoming HG - maybe she felt guilty cos she knew she'd done the dirty on Ros :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2017, 00:40 
Learning to stand on your own two feet
Learning to stand on your own two feet

It is interesting that in the books where the triplets are prefects, there's actually very little story time spent on the prefects as a group. For example, in earlier books, we usually find out which prefect does which job, often via depiction of a prefects meeting, or references through the text. The last year of the series in particular, we get almost no information outside the Big Three, which we get in detail, and Con is appointed magazine prefect instead of elected by her peers, the way it was normally done.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2017, 09:21 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

It would have been very interesting to see Len chairing a meeting with girls like Betty, Alicia, Heather and Ricki, who were older than her (and the CS usually puts a lot of emphasis on age) and arguably had stronger personalities. I think most of them left at the end of Summer Term, but they were certainly still there when Len first became HG.

The original leader of all that gang was Jo Scott, but she was removed from the scene before she could become HG.

Mabel, that makes a lot of sense :D . But poor Ros still deserved a proper exit storyline! (Maybe Joey ran her over with the minibus so that Len could become HG.) Yseult, Emerence and Josette all left suddenly as well, but explanations were given.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2017, 13:25 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Ros and Jo Scott both just vanish!

Len is liked and respected by her peers so I can't see her having much trouble with them. She's also not the first HG to be younger than most of her fellow prefects. But it is weird that we don't see more of the prefects at this time - although just as well as we'd probably just have continual repetitions of Len is responsible/Margot is bad/Con is a dreamer, and everyone else in the background. I think EBD is most comofrtable writing about Middle aged girls. Maybe that's why she stuck with this age group in the later books.

jennifer wrote:
It is interesting that in the books where the triplets are prefects, there's actually very little story time spent on the prefects as a group. For example, in earlier books, we usually find out which prefect does which job, often via depiction of a prefects meeting, or references through the text. The last year of the series in particular, we get almost no information outside the Big Three, which we get in detail, and Con is appointed magazine prefect instead of elected by her peers, the way it was normally done.

We do see this happen occasionally. I think it is Kathie Robertson who gets chosen by the staff to be the 'kids special'. Actually in the case of magazine editor I think it makes much more sense for it to be a staff appointment than an elected one (with the girl being elected because her father is a journalist, half the time :roll: )

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 07:23 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

jennifer wrote:

I always wondered how and why the staff would intervene to choose the girl. And wouldn't that be seen as favouritism?

And while I can see why they gave it to Con to help her be more assertive, what happens if another prefect says they want the job as well?

Is there an awkward silence at the first prefects meeting as Len explains it's been given to her sister. Not to mention the owner's niece. And Mrs Maynard's daughter ...

And given that there were almost 20 prefects by Len's day, the voting and allocation of jobs would go on forever. :D

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 07:55 

IIRC, it was Frances Coleman who was chosen as Juniors' prefect. It was just a plot device to give Eilunedd an excuse to moan that there hadn't been a proper vote and try to make out that Peggy was being dictatorial, but the idea was that Frances was good with the younger kids.

Con was the obvious choice for magazine prefect and would probably have been elected anyway, but I think EBD wanted it to seem that she was equal with Len and Margot, who'd both been chosen for particular jobs, rather than just being one of the common herd.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 09:24 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Alison H wrote:
Con was the obvious choice for magazine prefect and would probably have been elected anyway, but I think EBD wanted it to seem that she was equal with Len and Margot, who'd both been chosen for particular jobs, rather than just being one of the common herd.

Yes, the occasions when the staff intervenes there are good reasons given for it. But it is done so randomly as if they are not sure the prefects would be able to sort out that job for themselves.

With Con, HG and sport prefect are both head appointments and have been from the beginning of the school along with second prefect. But giving Con the magazine editor job comes out of nowhere.

Given how careful Miss Annersley was about not appointing Bride to HG in case it was seen as favouritism, it seems odd it doesn't occur to her this time.

And given this was the CS, only someone like Deirdre (!) would have said "I would really have liked a shot at that job and it's just been handed to Con on a silver platter."

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 11:40 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

I've always found it a little odd that just because someone loves reading and writing they are the "obvious" choice for magazine editor/prefect. Wouldn't being an editor involve a lot of hard work and organising and nagging people for submissions? Not sure that really sounds like dreamy Con's cup of tea.
And I say that as a dreamer who loves reading and writing!

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 13:50 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Maybe that's why they make Con take on the job, to force her to be a bit more grounded?

Do we ever see a girl being bitter because she hasn't been made Games Pre? I'd have thought if anything that would actually be a more popular job than HG.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 02:24 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

RubyGates wrote:
I've always found it a little odd that just because someone loves reading and writing they are the "obvious" choice for magazine editor/prefect. Wouldn't being an editor involve a lot of hard work and organising and nagging people for submissions?

Having been a real editor, not a school mag editor, yes a lot of organising and chasing people up is required - and I was chasing up people who's job it was to write for the mag. And you also need a LOT of tact if you want the author to change or rewrite something.

And yes, apparently it was given to Con to help her be more 'wide awake'.

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 26 Apr 2017, 03:10