Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 09:51

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Visitors for the Chalet School "Spoiler Alert"
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 10:49 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

“Spoiler Alert”. Please do not read any further if you do not want to know anything about the book. These discussions are completely open for discussion (hence the spoiler alert).

This was the very first fill in ever written for the Chalet School series and is published by Collins Publishers in 1995. The book focuses on visitors from the visiting school, Grange House mentioned at the Prefects meeting in Head Girl. A large portion of the book focuses on the visiting school and their viewpoint. The school starts off with Juliet making a new friend in London – Patricia. Patricia’s school is heading to the Tiernsee in Austria and they agree to look up the Chalet school. The school term starts with the news that French and German days will be started. A new school hall is built and Joey faces her first term without Madge being at the school. Miss Annersley and Matron Lloyd are introduced to the school and Bette Rincini is made Head Girl. Grange House arrives and due to a mix up at the Stephanie, the date they are expected is the 7 October, not the 4 October. The Chalet School soon comes to their rescue and agrees to provide meals for them. This cements friendly relations between the school and the Chalet School becomes the unofficial hosts of Grange House, providing evening entertainment and showing them around the area. The school have friendly matches with Netball and Hockey. Middles get up to their usual mischief and we follow Grange House as they travel to other parts of Austria. Joey invites Patricia to the Sonnelpe to spend Half Term with her and Patricia gets to discuss he long held dream to be a doctor with Madge and Jem and the difficulties she faces with her Mother not being supportive of the goal. After Half Term, Elisaveta hears the distressing news that her Grandfather is dying and she is requested to return home. And the school holds it usual Christmas Play.

So what did everyone think of the book? Given it is the first of the fill ins and published by Collins how does it compares to other fill in where the bulk are published by GGBP? The author makes it very clear in her foreword that she wasn’t attempting to write in EBD’s style. Does that jar with people or do people not mind the very different writing style (including referring to Mademoiselle Lepattre as Mam’sell)? Please discuss this and anything else you can think of.

On a side not, due to the poor responses to the discussion starters for the fill in books, I have decided not to continue posting them after this one. It doesn’t appear that people are interested in discussing the fill in’s, so therefore I will be stopping. Thank you to all those who took the time to write something in the previous threads.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Visitors for the Chalet School "Spoiler Alert"
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 11:36 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

Hi Fiona, I just wanted to say I've enjoyed reading the threads on the fill-ins. Apart from Juliet (and it goes back several years), I hadn't read any of the fill-ins you've been posting about recently but I had enjoyed the threads. Not intended to make you continue but just to let you know I've been reading them every week, thank you :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 11:45 
Despairing over Geometry
Despairing over Geometry

Thank-you from me, too Fiona - it's a lot of work summarising a book. My reason for not posting is the same reason as roversgirl's - the only fill-in I've read is Lesley's Hilda Annersley, Headmistress - but I've enjoyed hearing about them. And yes, not said to make you keep going!

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 13:53 
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne

Another Thank you from me Fiona. I kept meaning to start a re-read of the series so I am better placed to comment and just haven't quite got around to it- and I am getting further and further behind. :lol:

On the subject of Visitors. This is actually one of my favourites of the fill ins. Perhaps because I first read it when I was a kid and still discovering many if the original books. I always loved the intro at the start as well... it made me realise I wasn't the only person out there who read EBDs books. On the other hand to me it doesn't read as an EBD, the style is slightly different, but I think because it is so focused on the other school that the change in tone actually works quite well.

I love the start of the book with Juliet and I do actually think that is quite a CS way to start a book, with a scene before school starts introducing the new girl.

Book blog: https://GiltAndDust.WordPress.com

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 14:37 
Learning all about Matey!

I also really like this book, but to me it has too much about the visitors and not enough about the Chalet School. The first chapter in London is interesting and the scenes when Patricia does first aid is very true to life. I also enjoyed saying farewell to Elisaveta. The final chapter set during the war is moving. This always seemed to me to be the first book where Joey is starting to mature a little. There are some lovely scenes set in Die Rosen and I like the Guide hike early on. This book seems less in the style of EBD than most of the subsequent fill ins.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 15:32 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

Just to say, thank you Fiona for your work, I've really enjoyed reading this thread but haven't commented because I haven't read any of the fill-ins.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 19:28 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Thank you for all your hard work so far: I've enjoyed the discussions on the fill-ins. This one isn't one of my favourites, though, because a lot of the focus is on Patricia, a character created by the fill-in author, rather than on someone we "know".

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 20:54 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Although I haven't read many of the fill-ins I am enjoying finding out what the books were about and also reading the general comments.

A lot of hard work for you, Fiona.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2017, 04:59 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Actually I was about to ask what happened to Visitors so I'm glad to see the discussion here.

I loved this book and was very impressed at how the author was able to bring an an entire group of 10 extra girls, provide them with a personality, not ignore the girls at the CS, and yet give everyone some airtime and make it seem complete.

Patricia is such lovely character and it is a shame she cannot appear in any further books. I would have loved to see her working at the San years later. In fact, do we ever see any female doctors working alongside Jem and Jack?

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2017, 12:00 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

I also enjoy the fill in discussions but don't contribute because I haven't read them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2017, 14:14 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

Didn't Helen Mclelland write it using some notes e.t.c that EBD left? I'm sure the forward mentioned it, but haven't got the book handy to check...........!

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2017, 15:08 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

fio wrote:
Didn't Helen Mclelland write it using some notes e.t.c that EBD left? I'm sure the forward mentioned it, but haven't got the book handy to check...........!

Yes she did. She says in the Introduction, pp I - II, that when researching for her book Behind the Chalet School, she found some notes from EBD suggesting that she herself had planned to write a story set in the term between Princess and Head Girl. Although Helen had originally had no intention of writing a sequel, she later wrote the much shorter Joey And Patricia in response to readers who wanted to know what happened to Patricia.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2017, 17:25 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

I'm sorry that you won't be continuing this but I understand why not. I haven't commented although I do have all the fill-ins, mainly because I've only read them two or three times at the most whereas the cannon books I've probably read dozens of times! So I know them better. Sadly life is too short to fit everyting in.

I did think of asking Aquabird it we could have a cannon book every fortnight not every week as I don't have time to re-read. However it would take over nearly two years to finish the series. :lol: Her summaries (and yours) are very comprehensive and jog the memory well.

Many thanks for what you've done.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2017, 17:36 

thefrau46 wrote:
I did think of asking Aquabird it we could have a cannon book every fortnight not every week as I don't have time to re-read. However it would take over nearly two years to finish the series. :lol: Her summaries (and yours) are very comprehensive and jog the memory well.

Oh good Lord, I doubt I could keep it up that long! :shock: But I wouldn't worry about not being able to re-read a book a week, some of the threads are still active three or four weeks after I've started them, and others get a bump now and then after a week or two of inactivity, which isn't exactly necro territory.

Huge thanks to Fiona for doing these threads, I couldn't have run to them as well as the canon books as there are quite a lot of fill-ins that I don't have, especially more recent ones.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2017, 19:13 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

Aquabird wrote:
thefrau46 wrote:

Oh good Lord, I doubt I could keep it up that long! :shock: But I wouldn't worry about not being able to re-read a book a week, some of the threads are still active three or four weeks after I've started them, and others get a bump now and then after a week or two of inactivity, which isn't exactly necro territory.

Huge thanks to Fiona for doing these threads, I couldn't have run to them as well as the canon books as there are quite a lot of fill-ins that I don't have, especially more recent ones.

Thanks for answering and you are quite correct about many of the titles still being active.

I've just noticed my spelling mistake. :lol: Apologies!

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 09:04 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Thank you for having undertaken this Fiona. I am not sure that lack of discussion means lack of enthusiasm. I have read the threads with interest but have an in-built dislike of discussing books per se so would very rarely post. I avoid book clubs like the plague.

I shamelessly enjoy reading others' ideas though :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 10:01 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

One thing I have always wondered when reading this - why does one of the 'visitor' girls bring a kilt with her on the trip?

Was it just something regarded as normal to wear so she just brought one along in case there was a night out and it's like having an evening dress?

And how heavy are they? For some reason (mainly because I only see them on formal occasions complete with bagpipes) I think of kilts as made of very thick heavy material.

cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 11:25 
Despairing over Geometry
Despairing over Geometry

Joyce wrote:
And how heavy are they? For some reason (mainly because I only see them on formal occasions complete with bagpipes) I think of kilts as made of very thick heavy material.
In the military/ ceremonial context, yes, and it is really a man's garment, but in the UK and some other countries lightweight versions were made from the mid-19th century onward for children and were ordinary wear for them for much of the 20th century (SLOC and I both had them as kids).

Not having read the book, I can't answer for this particular example, but it could be a quite normal thing to wear.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 13:29 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Yes I had a kilt too and it was normal winter skirt weight. I loved it.... Most of my friends had one.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 14:47 
Discovering you have to be trilingual

This is one of the few fill ins I've read, and I did enjoy it. I thought the world-building for Patricia was very good, and quite realistic for many girls of her class, where the focus was very much on getting your daughters 'out' and married off.

I did think it lagged a little in places where it focused too heavily on the Grange girls to the exclusion of the Chalet School.

I loved the Grange House girl (Veronica?) who liked to pose as very cultured, but dropped clangers all the time, such as mistaking Chopin for Mozart. Nice little touch of humour

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 09:51