Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 18:11

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Visitors for the Chalet School "Spoiler Alert"
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 16:19 
Hearing strange noises in the night
Hearing strange noises in the night

cestina wrote:
Yes I had a kilt too and it was normal winter skirt weight. I loved it.... Most of my friends had one.

Me too - think mine was Royal Stuart. Lots of them around then, though I think they were more for younger girls, maybe up to about 12/13, rather than older girls.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 03:04 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

ivohenry wrote:
Yes I had a kilt too and it was normal winter skirt weight. I loved it.... Most of my friends had one.

Thanks - that makes more sense. I had visions of her lugging an entire outfit on the trip with her :D

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 08:53 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

Joyce wrote:
I had visions of her lugging an entire outfit on the trip with her :D
Typically, even if wholly Scottish, she wouldn't have had all that other stuff (jacket, sporran, glengarry bonnet etc). A girl would normally wear a shirt and/or jumper with it during the day, and possibly wear it in the evening with a blouse. And as ivohenry commented, you wouldn't normally see a kilt on an older teenage girl, or at least not until the mid-1960s when so many of the dress codes were cast aside, by the young at least.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 21:33 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

I think there are pictures of the Queen and Princess Margaret wearing lightweight kilts with a jumper in 1930's.

I certainly wore a kilt with a kind of vest/bodice attached until age 10. Anderson tartan I think!

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 21:37 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

NanaG wrote:

I certainly wore a kilt with a kind of vest/bodice attached until age 10. Anderson tartan I think!

My daughters had those in the 70s. They loved them but they were both under 10 at the time.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 22:38 
Learning the difference - can and may
Learning the difference - can and may

I am Scottish and I remember having a tartan pinafore as quite a young child. I am sure I would have had at least one kilt at some time during my childhood.

When I was 26, in 1980, I had a second job one summer working three nights a week in a kilt/gift shop. Everyone working in the shop had to wear kilts and we had to buy them ourselves, with discount.

The infuriating thing was that the kilts were all made on the small side with the result that if you were usually a 10 you had to buy a size 12 and so on.

Quite a lot of boys in Scotland get full Highland dress for their 21st birthdays and that does cost hundreds of pounds. These kilts are the very heavy kind. My nephew ( and his dad) have kilts, tweed jackets etc but I cannot remember whether or not this was nephew's 21st birthday present.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 22:44 
Arguing from cause to effect
Arguing from cause to effect

Audrey25 wrote:
The infuriating thing was that the kilts were all made on the small side with the result that if you were usually a 10 you had to buy a size 12 and so on.

I'll admit that I have a kilt at the back of my wardrobe which I bought in a gift shop many years ago. I thought I'd put on weight and that was why I couldn't wear it any longer. Now I know that my size 12 really is only a size 10! :lol: :lol:

We've sidetracked away from the original topic, haven't we? I reall must find my copy of Visitors and re-read it.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 18:11