Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 29 Jul 2017, 12:54

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Fill ins which cover a term already covered by EBD
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 04:09 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

One of things which has come up on the thread about Problem was how that group of girls are never shown as Prefects and Ros barely rates a mention as Head Girl. It along with reading Katherine Bruce's recent fill in of "Juniors" got me thinking about what fill in books I would love to see despite EBD already covering that term.

I would love to read a fill in based on Rosamund's term as Head Girl and see that particular group of girls as Prefects. I loved them in New Mistress and Excitements and was always disappointed I never got to read about them as Prefects.

I would also love to see Bette as Head Girl. I know Helen McClelland covered that term but we rarely saw a non English Head Girl and I do have a soft spot for Bette, that I would love to see how she felt following in her cousins footsteps.

And finally I would love to see the missing 6-12 months in Exile.

Does anyone else have a term they would loved to see a book written from a different perspective? Or do people feel, if EBD has already covered that term, they don't particularly want to see another perspective?

Last edited by Fiona Mc on 02 Apr 2017, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Fill ins which cover a term already covered by EBD
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 07:39 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

A lot of books do show more than one perspective, usually that of the prefects and that of either the Juniors or the Middles, but there are some that don't. Ros doesn't get a voice as HG, as you say, and nor does Maeve. So I think there is room for fillers showing a different perspective.

I'd love to see a book set at the Carnbach branch, which is completely forgotten about. And I'd like to see more about Ailie's gang in the later years: except in Adrienne, they get pushed out in favour of horrible Jack Lambert and a load of fairly obscure new characters.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 08:29 
Discovering that JMB lives next door
Discovering that JMB lives next door

I think it would be fascinating to read Gay from China from Sybil's point of view -- the accident with Josette, her feelings of guilt and despair as her mum tends to her sister and her dad ostracizes her, plus then you have everything that's going on with Miss Bubb and the regular school stuff.

Not sure if this counts, but I want to see Marilyn Evans' term when everything goes pear-shaped. It's so rare for an appointment to go wrong that I'm intrigued. I enjoyed the way Adrianne Fitzpatrick handled the aftermath in Champion of the Chalet School.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 08:55 
Declaring it to have been the best term
Declaring it to have been the best term

I agree about Marilyn's term - and that Champion is a great read.

Personally I'd like more of the Tyrol from the perspective of the staff. Or maybe Jem's perspective of his courtship of Madge.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 12:31 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

Alison H wrote:
I'd love to see a book set at the Carnbach branch, which is completely forgotten about.

Oh definitely. Always hated the way that branch just got shunted aside.

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2017, 07:34 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

I would like to read about madge and co, in Canada. I would also like to read about the second year at Welsen, in particular Tom's experiences at a finishing school!

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2017, 19:36 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

Tom at finishing school would have been good. She probably just did her own thing and got on with making her latest house!

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2017, 16:41 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

I've mentioned before some scenarios I'd like to see. But of course it takes huge effort to write a fill-in, who knows which ones will ever see the light of day?

I would also like to see the missing months in Exile, and the term(s) immediatedly preceding it. It would be great to have a book set at the Carnbach school, but will anyone take on the challenge? There's so little information to go on, surely a problem.

It would also be interesting to see why Marilyn Evans was so bad, and I agree with most of the others. Can't seem to shake off my negative perceptions of the Swiss books though, so less interested in that.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 05:09 
Lost!
Lost!

I'd like to see a book covering the re-integration of the Bettany family. The parents haven't seen the older set since they were age four and under, the older kids have likely been fantasizing about having their parents back for years, while Maeve and Maurice are used to being the only kids in the family and are suddenly the youngest, with the other four siblings all knowing each other well.

There are brief mentions of Maeve resenting Peggy trying to mother her and manage her, and also of Maeve and Maurice resenting being apart when they were sent off to boarding school separately.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 09:31 
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne

jennifer wrote:
I'd like to see a book covering the re-integration of the Bettany family. The parents haven't seen the older set since they were age four and under, the older kids have likely been fantasizing about having their parents back for years, while Maeve and Maurice are used to being the only kids in the family and are suddenly the youngest, with the other four siblings all knowing each other well.

There are brief mentions of Maeve resenting Peggy trying to mother her and manage her, and also of Maeve and Maurice resenting being apart when they were sent off to boarding school separately.

I think that would work really well as one of EBD's holiday stories. She was still at the height of her writing prowess round about when it was set and Exile, Rescue, Monica and Three Go were of that period and all have at least large chunks of non-school based story.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 29 Jul 2017, 12:54