Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 29 May 2017, 19:51

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Books: The Chalet School In Exile
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 12:50 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Alison H wrote:
It's particularly odd as Jo knew that Con Stewart was engaged to a man who worked in Singapore. No-one expected at this stage that Singapore would be taken by the Japanese, and Jo must have expected Con to settle there. You never know where people are going to end up, but it would have made more sense to pick someone whom she at least expected to be around.

But even having godparents who live close by doesn't guarantee they'll be part of the child's life. My husband only found out after his mum died, going through all her papers and chanced upon his baptism certificate, that his Uncle Harry was his godfather. Uncle Harry was his dad's brother and my husband met him once, on a bus. He was with his dad and his dad said "all right Harry?" to a strange man who got on the bus, strange man said "all right Joe?" and when my husband asked who it was his dad said "oh that's my brother, your Uncle Harry". :shock: :shock:

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 13:35 
Receiving support from the form

Brie and Fiona's posts make the Godmother choices a bit more reasonable. Gottfried was almost a certainty and rightly so and Jo had been through a lot with Miss Wilson.

I also think that EBD wanted to give one of her own names to a triplet - she used the name Len herself at one time. Hence Miss Wilson as a Godmother and so the name Helena and then to Len as the shortened version makes complete sense.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 13:47 
Glad to be back at school
Glad to be back at school

She also gave them all Mary, her second name. Although it is very common for Roman Catholic girls to have Mary as one of their names, is it common to have more than one with it as first name? This always struck me as very odd.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 13:54 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

ivohenry wrote:
She also gave them all Mary, her second name. Although it is very common for Roman Catholic girls to have Mary as one of their names, is it common to have more than one with it as first name? This always struck me as very odd.

I met a Mary-Brigid once, who said all her sisters were also Mary-something!

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 14:39 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

The Empress Maria Theresa, after whom the Maria-Theresienstrasse in Innsbruck is named, had eleven daughters, and gave every single one of them (including Maria Antonia, aka Marie Antoinette) Maria as a first name :D .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 14:45 
Attending a prees' meeting

Perhaps it's as well that Jo couldn't think of three names that she liked beginning with C for the triplets - they'd all have been Mary C Maynard, and there would have been untold confusion over paperwork, bank accounts etc, especially when they were older. I know whereof I speak, having had a name very similar to my mother's...

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 16:02 
Bored
Bored

ivohenry wrote:
She could have given each of them two Godmothers, it's more usual (at least in C of E, think also RC) to have two of same sex as child and one of the other, though just one of each is OK - and of course the Royal Family have lots!

Not in the Catholic church, ivohenry. Just one of each has always been the norm. Are we being deprived? :lol: I was astonished when I found out Anglicans have two male or female godparents, depending on the sex of the baby.

It makes it rather difficult as to which friend you choose, and especially hard if you want a sister or brother and they happen not to be Catholic.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 02:39 
Exams...
Exams...

Is Philippa a Mary as well?

I get the feeling by the time Phil and Geoff come along EBD no longer cared about things like names and godparents :D

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 04:07 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

In the newsletters, she's Philippa Anne - no other middle name is given (and Geoffrey Martin). Felicity is Felicity Josephine, and Cecil is Cecilia Marya/Marya Cecilia. So the Mary thing is pretty much just for the triplets.

As an aside - we never get a middle name for Mike, Maeve or Maurice, of the second generation of the clan.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 05:17 
Exams...
Exams...

jennifer wrote:
In the newsletters, she's Philippa Anne - no other middle name is given (and Geoffrey Martin). Felicity is Felicity Josephine, and Cecil is Cecilia Marya/Marya Cecilia. So the Mary thing is pretty much just for the triplets.

One of the trips somewhere says all the girls except Felicity have Mary as a first name.

I don't have the books near me but I think it's when Cecil is born and they are discussing her name. So Marya is regarded as form of Mary.

Wonder why Felicity and Phil get left out? :D

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 07:37 

Felicity's middle name is Josephine, because Jack thought that at least one of the girls should have Joey's name :D .

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 08:05 

Alison H wrote:
Felicity's middle name is Josephine, because Jack thought that at least one of the girls should have Joey's name :D .

Of course he did! :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 09:59 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

One thing that baffled me in Exile, even when I first read it back in the late 80's was why on earth were they going to leave an important document like the Peace League in what was essentially going to become enemy territory. I remember thinking at the time, 'why aren't they taking it to England with them?' I know hindsight is a wonderful thing and they don't know WWII is about to start, but still!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 10:20 
Exams...
Exams...

Fiona Mc wrote:
One thing that baffled me in Exile, even when I first read it back in the late 80's was why on earth were they going to leave an important document like the Peace League in what was essentially going to become enemy territory. I remember thinking at the time, 'why aren't they taking it to England with them?' I know hindsight is a wonderful thing and they don't know WWII is about to start, but still!

And why the need to hide it all? :D Would the Nazis really have cared?

cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 10:24 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

I think the problem was that some of the Austrian and German girls had signed it. So there could be retribution against them if it were found.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 15:13 

I don't have the book to hand but when they planned to hide the document were they all still intending on leaving Austria conventionally? Might they have been wary of being searched at the border?

I should imagine though that the main reason for the hiding of the document was to make the story even more exciting and also to make an excuse for Jack's feelings for Jo to become public and to kick start the flight from Austria.

It seems mad for anyone to have signed this document but they were schoolgirls and maybe EBD was also wanting to make the point of solidarity between nations, despite war.

I have loved all the posts on this thread and cannot thank Aquabird enough especially as she could not have been feeling very fit when she wrote this.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 10:35 
Exams...
Exams...

What actually happens to the Peace League paper? It sort of vanishes and we never hear of it again.

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 11:06 

Robin having still had it on her when she left the Sonnenscheinspitze with Hilary, I seem to remember that Jo kept it somewhere safe after Jack handed it to her at the end of Exile. I have a recollection that it is mentioned again, perhaps in more than one book, but can't remember which.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 11:17 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

I believe Jo keeps it in deposited at the bank in a safe, at least during the war years. I think it's mentioned in Highland Twins? I guess in later years it might have been kept in the school museum?

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 11:19 

When Madge and Jem were discussing moving to Guernsey, Madge - quite understandably - got very emotional about how their world was being torn apart because "a group of men have gone quite mad". They must all have felt like that. They were being separated from their friends, knowing that they probably wouldn't be able to keep in touch, and that terrible things almost certainly lay in store, especially for those who'd be remaining in the territories controlled by the Third Reich. A group of schoolgirls signing a piece of paper wasn't going to change anything, and they couldn't realistically hope to meet up once a year, but at least it would have felt like doing something to protest against what was happening. And signing something must have felt like making an official friendship pact. At one time, there was a horrible thing about pricking your fingers and mingling your blood with your friends' blood, but thankfully that seems to have passed! But signing a "for ever friends" declaration might have felt like a more official commitment than just saying that you'd always be friends ... if that makes any sense :roll:!

ETA - on a different note, I love the way that Robin, who's really rather annoying in most of the earlier Tyrol books, comes into her own in this, first rushing to try to help Herr Goldmann, then being one of the leaders in the school when it reopens and being the one to spot that there's something suspicious about Gertrud. It's a shame that we don't get to see more of her in her mid to late teens.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 29 May 2017, 19:51