Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 02:42

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Books: The Mystery at the Chalet School
PostPosted: 29 May 2017, 15:56 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

Afternoon all, I hope you’re enjoying better Bank Holiday weather than the overcast sky and spitting rain we’re getting here. :roll: This week’s discussion thread is on the novella The Mystery at the Chalet School, first published in 1947 in the Chalet Book for Girls, although it wasn’t released in paperback until 1994. Chronologically, it covers the winter term just after Jo to the Rescue. New girl Dorcas Brown joins the Lower Fifth and befriends Gay Lambert, Jacynth Hardy and Gillian Culver, but her reluctance to talk about her home and family causes great intrigue within the school, hence the ‘mystery’ of the title. Notable events:

Two weeks into the term, the members of Lower Fifth discuss their newest addition, Dorcas Brown, and how every time they have tried to chat to her about her family, she promptly clams up and changes the subject. Later on the Second Triumvirate discuss her as well, and Jacynth points out that if she wants to keep her family details private, it’s none of their business.
That evening, the Seniors are dancing in Hall when Jo turns up to invite the new girls to Plas Gwyn for tea, and says she hasn’t been up before now as the triplets have been ill with chicken pox.
After Jo leaves, Gay tells Dorcas she is Josephine M. Bettany, but Dorcas doesn’t recognise the name. However, when Gay lists some of Jo’s books, including the latest release The Leader of the Lost Cause, a startled Dorcas begins to say something, then stops suddenly, much to Gay’s suspicion.
The Seniors go to Plas Gwyn for tea, and Jo, already advised by Daisy that there is something odd about Dorcas, has no more success than anyone else in getting her to talk about her family.
On the bus home, Dorcas muses on how she almost gave herself away once or twice, and on what a piece of luck it is to meet Jo. She hopes to get friendly enough with her to persuade her to change her mind about something in order to please her sister Eunice.
Meanwhile, over dinner at Plas Gwyn, Robin observes to Jo that she thought there was something oddly familiar about Dorcas, but she couldn’t quite put her finger on what it was.
As half-term approaches, Gay tells Dorcas that the girls remaining at the school for the holiday will be going to the cinema to see a historical film, Tedder’s Cove, starring Eunice Brownlow. Dorcas is horrified, but Gay doesn’t notice her change of expression. Dorcas resolves to pretend to have a headache on the day of the trip so that she doesn’t have to go.
Half-term arrives, and Dorcas and Jacynth talk about the trip. Jacynth says she has rarely been to the cinema, and Dorcas asks if it was because she doesn’t approve of it. Jacynth replies that she and Auntie couldn’t afford it, much to Dorcas’s surprise, as she knows the CS isn’t a cheap school. She asks Gay and Gillian about it, and they tell her Jacynth’s backstory. Dorcas asks if they approve of the cinema, and they both reply that they like it once in a while but don’t go that often.
After tea, Gillian and Jacynth look at a magazine in the Senior common room which contains stills from Tedder’s Cove, and both are sure that Eunice Brownlow resembles someone they know. Gay and Dorcas come in, but when Gay tries to show the magazine to Dorcas, she bursts out that she’s sick of the film, and runs out of the room.
Although stunned by Dorcas’s reaction to the picture of Eunice, Gillian tells Jacynth and Gay not to say anything to Dorcas, and nothing further is said until the day before the cinema trip, when Gay shows the magazine to Jacynth again and announces that the girl Eunice resembles is Dorcas. Initially sceptical, Jacynth begins to spot the likeness after Gillian comes in and agrees with Gay. Once again, however, they agree to say nothing.
Meanwhile, Dorcas realises that she won’t be able to get out of going to the cinema as Matey is going with Miss Edwards to visit Miss Annersley for the day, so there would be no one to look after her. Desperate to try and hide her resemblance to Eunice and avoid the sort of trouble she had had at Bentley Hall, she cuts her hair to give herself a fringe.
Her new haircut causes a sensation the next morning when everyone sees it. She tries to say that she cut it because she has been having headaches, but is unable to explain why in that case she didn’t go to Matron. As there is nobody to stay behind and look after her, Miss Burnett reluctantly says she will have to come on the trip, but that she can report herself to Miss Wilson the next day.
The party takes the bus to Armiford and spends the morning at the Cathedral before having lunch at the Lucys’ house. Miss Linton suggests that Julie and Betsy join them, and Janie agrees.
After seeing the film, the girls are making their way out of the balcony to the cinema café when Betsy spots the resident cat sitting on the stairs and rushes forward to pet him. She nearly overbalances but is saved by Dorcas, who sees her and manages to push her out of the way in time, only to fall down the stairs herself and render herself still and white (but not to all appearances dead).
The cinema manager phones for an ambulance, and the doctor who arrives in response tells Miss Burnett that Dorcas has concussion and a broken collar bone, but hopes there is nothing worse. He tells her to have some tea and then come along to the hospital once they have had a chance to examine Dorcas for any other injuries.
While Miss Linton takes the girls home, Miss Burnett goes to the hospital to see how Dorcas is, and finds she has no injuries beyond what the doctor had initially seen. He meets her when she comes out after seeing Dorcas, lets her use his phone to report to Miss Wilson, then runs her back to Plas Howell in his car.
Later that evening in the staffroom, Miss Burnett and Miss Linton discuss the incident, and Miss Burnett says she is certain that Dorcas and Eunice Brownlow are sisters, and wonders why Dorcas kept it dark.
The next day, when Miss Burnett and Miss Linton report to Miss Wilson, the latter confirms that Dorcas and Eunice are sisters, and that Dorcas’s mother had arranged with Madge to have Dorcas entered as Brown rather than Brownlow.
Dorcas arrives back at the school three weeks later, and is told she has a small part in the Christmas play. Lower Fifth are stunned at how severe the staff are during lessons that morning, and when they sit down to a very basic dinner obviously made at short notice, Miss Wilson reveals that there has been a chapter of accidents in the kitchen, involving Cook badly burning herself, the kitchen fire flaring up and covering everything with soot, and a rack of plates being smashed in the confusion.
When the Second Triumvirate and Dorcas are discussing the scene later, Dorcas observes that it would make a good flick, and the others decide to reveal that they know who she is, and ask her why she tried to hide that she was Eunice’s sister.
Dorcas reveals that when she was little her family went out to America due to her father’s work, and that on the voyage over a film producer spotted Eunice. After some persuasion, she was cast in a film, and started out on what soon became a successful career. Their mother, too, also started acting, but Dorcas was considered too plain. After some years in America the family returned to England, and Dorcas went to a school where she eventually discovered that people who were friendly with her only wanted the chance to meet Eunice. She therefore begged her mother to send her to another school under the name of Brown instead of Brownlow so that she could hide her connection with Eunice, while the rest of her family have returned to America.
Eunice, meanwhile, has read The Leader of the Lost Cause and is dying to make a film version, but Jo’s publishers have refused. Their mother has already come over to England to try and get Jo’s publishers to agree to a film, and Eunice herself is coming in the spring. Dorcas asks the Second Triumvirate if they are going to tell her secret, but they say they won’t unless she broadcasts it herself.
The day of Phoebe Wychcote’s wedding to Frank Peters arrives, and a representative from each form attends. They bring back the second tier of the wedding cake for the rest of the school to have, as they had had a collection and given Phoebe a tea service as a wedding present.
The Christmas play is held on the last Saturday of term, and halfway through it Miss Annersley is spotted in the audience, causing huge excitement backstage. When the play is over, the girls rush to see her, and she tells them she won’t be back until the summer term at least.
That evening, Dorcas tells Gay and Jacynth that she’s not going to hide her identity any more, and that she plans to tell Jo as well, and see if she can persuade her to change her mind about not letting The Leader of the Lost Cause be made into a film. By the end of term everyone knows who Dorcas is, but although they are pleased, there is none of the self-seeking that went on at Dorcas’s last school, much to her relief.

So, thoughts on this relatively short addition to the series? Do you think this fits in well with the canon despite being initially published in the First Chalet Book? What do you make of Dorcas and her reasons for hiding her identity? Do you think she fits in well with the Second Triumvirate?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Books: The Mystery at the Chalet School
PostPosted: 29 May 2017, 16:34 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Thank you so much for these lovely detailed summaries :D. It's surprising how much there is in such a short book.

I don't think EBD was very keen on films :lol:. Acting on the stage, like Jane's parents do, seems to be fine, but film producers are either trying to persuade Juliet & co to pose in their swimming costumes against Madge's orders or else trying to persuade Eunice to pack in school. And Joey evidently has a problem with them as she doesn't want her book made into a film.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 May 2017, 17:27 
Going to investigate
Going to investigate

Although it's short, it's nice to have it to fill a bit of the gap before Three Go to the CS. I like seeing Gay, Gill and Jacynth - we lose quite a lot of their schooldays with the big gap, and they are a great triumvirate. I also like the glimpse of the Lucys - especially Betsy and the cat! As Alison says, quite a lot of action for such a short book

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 May 2017, 17:40 

This book feels like a sort of clash between EBD wanting to sound modern and up-to-date, and her obvious disapproval of Hollywood and all associated with it. :lol: I wondered if maybe she was trying to target a slightly different audience with the Chalet Book for Girls, and wrote Mystery with that in mind, but since Tom, which was also initially published that way, is much more Chalet-ish in tone, I'm not so sure. Maybe she was just going through a phase, much as she seems to have done with cellos in this era too. I quite like the idea of Jo's books being adapted for other mediums, though.

Prior to this thread it was a while since I'd read this book, and I'd forgotten how much Mary's doctor actually features; I'd thought he just shows up at the cinema, and had forgotten the whole bit about him meeting her at the hospital afterwards and driving her home. I had to exercise restraint not to add that he no doubt produced an engagement ring at some point, too. :wink:

Don't get me started on the school being involved in Phoebe and Frank's wedding and getting the second tier of the cake, though. :roll: Apart from anything else, rationing says hi.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 May 2017, 19:13 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Unfortunately, I have not read this story so cannot comment. However, didn't EBD have a protegee - Hazel Bainbridge? - whose daughter, Kate O 'Mara, was quite a famous actress? I renember some of the stuff she was in. She could have died fairly recently. She may have been in something with Pam Ferri(e)s years ago but I think I am maybe mixing her up with somebody else.

Last edited by Audrey25 on 29 May 2017, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 May 2017, 19:37 
Going to investigate
Going to investigate

Yes, Kate O'Mara and Belinda Carroll were Hazel Bainbridge's daughters.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 May 2017, 20:05 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

I've googled Hazel Bainbridge and she was also an actress. She was connected to EBD. There's something about her in an article about EBD's life story but because of the background on which the article was printed it is not clear enough for me to read on my phone screen

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 May 2017, 21:54 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

Yes, she was to EMBD rather like the Robin is to Joey, except that she had two living parents as well.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 May 2017, 22:39 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Noreen wrote:
Yes, she was to EMBD rather like the Robin is to Joey, except that she had two living parents as well.

I read that too :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 May 2017, 23:49 
Finding out about the Sale

Noel Streatfeild didn't much like film either, in her case from an actor's point of view. The Painted Garden was serialised in 1948; I wonder if EBD's publishers knew it was forthcoming and suggested EBD wrote a cinema story?

I think I've only read this once. Like previous posters, I'd forgotten there was so much in it. It's nice to see more of Gay et al, and to hear about Miss Annersley's continuing recovery after the accident.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 05:47 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Is Dorcas mentioned again? I only remember one more mention when Gay is talking about a visit to watch a play and she calls her Dorks :D

I love hearing more about Gay and Jacynth in this book because they are such a lovely pair.

Jo's ability to write historical fiction without access to a library or internet always bemused me.

I assume she would want to be as accurate as possible even in tiny details and not include time travelling animals (one of my favourite historical authors had a squirrel where no squirrel existed for centuries to come :D ), but where and when does Jo do her research?

She talks about the terrific amount of reading and research required for all her books, but where does she do it?

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 09:01 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

Joyce wrote:
Is Dorcas mentioned again? I only remember one more mention when Gay is talking about a visit to watch a play and she calls her Dorks :D
Only briefly - she wins the obstacle race in a gym 'tournament' in Tom, and goes to a fancy dress party as a gipsy in Rosalie.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 09:25 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

I wasn't even aware this book existed. I must try and get my hands on a copy.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 13:24 
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne

It is available as a two in one pb with Chalet School and Rosalie, and I think has also been republished by GGBP. It is quite short but I was actually surprised by both how much they contained and how enjoyable these three stories were when I re-read them. Perhaps they don't stand up to the books immediately before or after them but I think they are pretty enjoyable on their own. I wonder if EBD realised she had given several lovely sets of characters relatively little screen time and set about to remedy that? Does anyone know how much later these were written?

I love the half-term with the cinema outing and the Lucy's in particular (despite its rather dramatic outcome).

Book blog: https://GiltAndDust.WordPress.com

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 16:27 

Quote:
Jo's ability to write historical fiction without access to a library or internet always bemused me.

Well, that was true of most writers of historical fiction, until not all that long ago.

Georgette Heyer used the London Library, iirc, but that cost money.

I used to go up to London and use the University of London's Senate House Library, to which I had a ticket. That cost me my train fare and whatever refreshments I bought.

Writers who couldn't easily get to London just had to rely on their county library system. In Jo/EBD's case, Armiford/Hereford Library. Jo presumably also had access to all the school textbooks and library books and any journals the school subscribed to.

Research methods of historical novelists pre-internet would make an interesting study, actually, but I'm not sure enough is known about the working methods of enough writers to provide sufficient material.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 18:09 

Some books provide lists of books and articles which the author found helpful ... but don't say how they got hold of them all. University library inter-library loan? How you would access that from the Gornetz Platz is a mystery, though! Maybe she made regular trips to one of the big cities, and EBD forgot to mention it :lol: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 20:11 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

Quote:
The Seniors go to Plas Gwyn for tea, and Jo, already advised by Daisy that there is something odd about Dorcas, has no more success than anyone else in getting her to talk about her family.

Jo wasn't told?? That wouldn't have happened in the later years! :lol: :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 May 2017, 01:18 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

I can assure you it was possible to do research before the internet. :D

For Jo's case, I can think of a variety of approaches. The first would be a set of good textbooks surveying her period of interest - she could ask the history mistress at the time for recommendations. Then a trip to a good library to browse through the appropriate section in the stacks - not just general history, but also social, cultural and religious history and geography. From those, she could pick out some good books to purchase, and use bibliographies to identify more detailed books that look useful. Even the CS library would likely have some general books with bibliographies to peruse.

Purchasing the books would be more complicated that clicking on Amazon - she might spend a few days in London or Oxford visiting academic bookshops, or write in to major shops asking if they had (or could order) particular books.

She could also write to Stacie Benson, and have Stacie ask some of the Historians at Oxford for recommendations about good reference books.

For more scholarly literature, I'm just old enough to remember the days of indices of abstracts - shelves worth of books that listed titles of academic papers, grouped by topic and author. You'd search the more recent of these to find some papers to start, and then work through the references in the papers to find other papers. I do not miss this, and greatly appreciate the ability to use a unified subject index to search by author, keyword and title, and quickly link to reference papers (or all the papers that reference a given paper). My field is small enough that a good portion of the pre-internet papers have been scanned and put on line too.

Jo doesn't start writing historical fiction until after she moves to England, and by the time she moves to Switzerland, she could have amassed a fair library of reference books. Trips to England to deal with publishing and so on could give her a day or two to hit up the bookstores for new material.

For Jo in particular, though, I think one of the problems would be the fact that she spends a lot of her time extremely pregnant and resting, or nursing babies, which would put a damper on extensive library research or taking off to London for a couple of days to browse bookshops.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 May 2017, 06:02 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

I was rereading Mystery last night especially the massive chapter when Dorcas tells her life story to Gay and Jacynth and keeps emphasising how much she loves her sister who actually sounds like a total brat!

The part on the boat when Mr Brownlow leaves 14yo Eunice unchaperoned to dance with grown men and accept their favours and then says he was very proud of her! :shock: What are favours? And apparently the producer's attention was so pointed other people on the boat commented on it.

The mum, who was ill at the time, was very angry when she found out. Even now a 14yo hanging out with grown men should hopefully cause concern. If the man was already a well known producer wouldn't he have been at least in his late 20s?

But Dorcas says her mother's concern was that the attention would go to Eunice's head. Which Dorcas says it didn't. Except it did. Eunice threatens her parents when they tell her not to accept a film role, gets stroppy at her mother for wanting to chaperone her and then uproots the entire family several times over so she can be in a film.

Meanwhile poor Dorcas is clearly treated as the afterthought being dragged around after her pretty older sister.

Quote:
Miss Wilson reveals that there has been a chapter of accidents in the kitchen, involving Cook badly burning herself,

I was pretty surprised that Gay and Jacynth who are normally portrayed as sympathetic lovely girls, laugh when they hear about this accident. And the cook has hurt herself quite badly and none of them ask how she is.

Quote:
Then a trip to a good library to browse through the appropriate section in the stacks - not just general history, but also social, cultural and religious history and geography.

This is the part I wonder about. She obviously has access to the CS library - and I wonder what happens if she wants a book a girl needs for her essay!

But other than that she has to rely on whatever she has on hand or go to Berne or Interlaken.

After they move to Switzerland, the only time we hear of them going to England is when she needs a check up after being ill. And I think we can assume she was not running round libraries then. :D

But then again she was writing historical fiction and not about real people. So as long as the period setting, speech etc was accurate she did not need to constantly check and double check the actions and whereabouts of real historical figures.

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 May 2017, 11:35 

Quote:
What are favours?

I think in that context it probably meant compliments, attention, things like fetching her a drink or her wrap.
Quote:
Eunice threatens her parents when they tell her not to accept a film role, gets stroppy at her mother for wanting to chaperone her...

If Eunice had been in a Noel Streatfeild book, she would have got her well-deserved come-uppance! Stroppiness is never rewarded in Noel Streatfeild.

Jo was in England at the beginning of Summer Term. In Oxford Street, specifically, so she might well have popped into Hatchard's or Foyle's or Dillon's. Foyle's certainly used to ship to anywhere in the world, so she could have a quick browse then leave her order.

Her publisher might also have been willing to arrange for books to be sent to her. She might even have had complimentary copies of books that might interest her sent to her for review.

School probably subscribed to the TLS and History Today and the Historical Association, and the equivalents in French and German, so Jo could find out about new books that way. But as discussed on another thread, Jo wasn't particularly academically minded, so she might not have been interested in reading at that level.

One advantage she did have was that when she wanted to write historical fiction with a Continental setting, she could read up on the subject in French or German, rather than have to look for books in English.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 02:42