Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 09:36

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Books: The Chalet School and the Island
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 21:39 
Going to investigate
Going to investigate

I also like the Island books - I read most of them when I was about 12 or 13, and was completrely uncritical of everything I read. CS and the Island was a birthday or Christmas present when I was around 12, and it's still one I enjoy. Cherry Christie is a lovely character, wish we'de seen more of her, there seems to be just an occasional mention in the later books.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 22:03 
Being rude to your sheepdog

This was one of the first books I read along with Exile and Wrong, I loved it , I felt for Annis and her unhappiness., and I loved the scenes after she's rescued when she & Cherry are sharing the bunk and having mugs of cocoa, a bit more Enid Blyton , but a nice touch.
But I noticed that although Joey is very much on the scene , she doesn't really get involved with Annis , in the Swiss books She would have been sent to Joey and would have been quizzed , but here it's more the girls themselves looking out for her, Tom & Bride go after her to try and bring her back as they fear she'll do something .

And I need to mention the great Michael Bond before - GO books, there was and always will be Paddington.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 23:56 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Although this is not one of my top favourites I enjoyed this book. Armishire and the Island are my favourite settings.

I liked reading Annis's adventure at the end and how Kevin Bellever appeared on the scene and also the Impertinent Questions fight which I thought brilliant. I think EBD probably best wrote girls of around eleven which is what Mary-Lou and her friends would have been here. She really brought Bride & Co to life at the same age.

I do think it a shame that this was really where Madge - and Jem - disappeared from the series. I wonder if EBD planned what at first was only a six month trip to Canada for Madge and Jem to see how her readers would react to their absence?

It would have been better for the series if EBD had not been so obsessed with Jo. When Jo became an adult, Madge's personality was even changed to "sweet and gentle" so Joey could be the feisty sister. Interesting that after Madge was no longer to be around she was allowed to go back to her original nature.

The very first CS book I read was Wrong where Joey is in Canada. I kept wondering who this person was as she was mentioned the whole time. I wish EBD had realised the series could go on without her having to push Jo into the foreground the whole time. She did latterly make Joey into a "me, me, me" person and it was such a pity.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 16:12 
...and being forgiven
...and being forgiven

Kathy_S wrote:
I don't mind the contriving to get Joey on the scene, since she's the glue that holds the series together.

She might be the glue that holds the series together, Kathie, but she annoys me intensely when she pushes Hilda aside to get to Annis first - which she does time and again in different books. No one's allowed to have her sensitivity, whereas, to me, Hilda has just as much of that gift, but in a much quieter way, certainly in the Armishire books. I do like Kester, especially the way he sums up Jo and Hilda when he returns Annis, and murmurs to Hilda that he's glad the school has such a headmistress. I also wish we had seen more of Cherry in later books, watching her change and grow into herself after being so shy and withdrawn.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 16:33 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

Yes, that scene on Annis's return was definitely not Joey's finest hour. Even EBD seemed to realise her behaviour was inappropriate and had Hilda putting her back in her place.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 16:52 
Finding out about the Sale

Quote:
when she pushes Hilda aside to get to Annis first

Yes, I think this is the start of Jo's 'butting in'.

In Gay, with Madge and Hilda hors de combat, and Nell with enough on her plate already, it perhaps made sense for her to be the one to comfort Jacynth. And she did show real sensitivity. Her role in Three Go has been discussed on that thread.

But here, Hilda and Nell, who both have experience of bereavement, are available, and Jo doesn't have any particular relationship with Annis, there's no reason why she should be there at all.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 20:03 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

But surely the point is that to Annis, Nell and Hilda are Teachers, and also Teachers that she has been at loggerheads with for at least two terms. Joey isn't, she has no agenda, Annis has no preconceived ideas, or guilt or shame, or anything around Jo. She is the neutral person who can comfort Annis without any of the teacherness creeping in or reminding Annis of past misdeamenours...

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 20:33 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

Spot on Caroline....

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 21:33 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

I only have the paperback , does it say anywhere in the hardback just why Joey has to be there at Annis's return to the school after her adventure? As far as I can see all she does is be over excited herself and confuse the poor girl.Hilda, as the headmistress , should have been the one to greet then gently break the good news.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 22:08 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Annis doesn't get why Joey's there, either :lol:.
Quote:
Someone else burst into the little crowd standing by the car—someone at sight of whom Annis’s bewilderment became complete. How in the name of all that was true did Joey Maynard happen to be here now?

Quote:
"Have you told her?" demanded that lady excitedly. "Has anyone said anything yet? What have you said?"

Quote:
Miss Annersley took a hand now. "I’ll tell her, Jo. You’re bewildering her with your exuberance. Annis dear, listen!"

Quote:
Jo went off to join her two small daughters and bring them in to wash in readiness for the journey home that afternoon.

So it sounds as if Jo was there to collect Len and Con, because it was the last day of the term. But why she had to "burst in" and start with all that, hey, you'll never guess what stuff, I have no idea! And Captain Lovell turning up just then, just as Cdr Carey turned up just as Verity was in trouble at school, is about as likely as Plas Gwyn needing repairs at exactly the same time as Plas Howell did :lol: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 22:25 

That repairs business was so contrived so that Joey could be in the story.Surely, as I think someone has said,a suitable house could have been found nearer the San instead of many miles away.What does Jack do, its not a daily commute.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 23:19 
Concerned about new girl
Concerned about new girl

I've already said that Captain Lovell's reappearance at that very moment strained my credulity. Joey, on the other hand, would naturally have been on the spot at the end of term, between her children and her role as history mistress. However, the real reason was that we needed everyone on stage to sing and dance for the finale of Island: The Musical. Or comic opera, as it has more of a Gilbert and Sullivan feel.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 09:58 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Caroline wrote:
But surely the point is that to Annis, Nell and Hilda are Teachers, and also Teachers that she has been at loggerheads with for at least two terms. Joey isn't, she has no agenda, Annis has no preconceived ideas, or guilt or shame, or anything around Jo. She is the neutral person who can comfort Annis without any of the teacherness creeping in or reminding Annis of past misdeamenours...

But she doesn't know Joey! We don't see them interacting in any way whatsoever. They are not related and she has no connection to her. If they were close a) the school would have called Joey in to help with her much earlier and b) Annis would probably not be so badly behaved in the first place.

Neutral person or not, how likely is it that Annis is going to unburden herself onto her? So EBD just assumes everyone is so happy to see the woman that they will just fall into her arms.

In fact, in the end it is Miss Annersley who actually does the explaining because Joey's over exuberance is scaring Annis. It simply makes no sense to have Joey in that scene other than to be butting in yet again.

Terrygo wrote:
What does Jack do, its not a daily commute.

For some reason I get the feeling Jack lived closer to the San and only lived with Joey on the weekends. But I can't pinpoint exactly where that information comes from. I might have imagined it. :D

And does Joey really need a massive house? The girls are at school and she only has Steven who is at day school and a baby at that stage.

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 10:51 

But she's going to have David, Sybil and Primula in the holidays. And Daisy is there sometimes, as we see in Carola.

There needs to be room for
Jo & Jack
Anna
The triplets
Steve might be considered old enough for his own room, now he's at school
Chas & Mike
Daisy (and possibly Robin; although she's left home, Jo presumably would want her still to have a place to come back to)
David
Sybil - share with Len & Con?
Primula - share with Daisy?
Plus day nursery/playroom
sitting room
dining room
study for Jack where he can keep any confidential papers he brings home

I make it a minimum of six bedrooms, allowing no separate room for Robin and having Steve in with Chas & Mike.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 11:02 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

Caroline wrote:

But she wasn't comforting her, or being a calm reassuring presence. She was over excited herself and rushing out to the car dying to blurt out that Annis's father was there and trying to force her to play a guessing game when the poor girls was exhausted and shocked.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 17:06 

Joey really had no part to play in that scene, demanding to know what they've told her(Annis) when it was Hilda's place to explain quietly to the girl.Her over excitement was not needed at all, sadly just another time EBD shoehorns her into a scene where she is not needed.

Just looking at the back of my Armada paperback and found it says Joey Bettany(?) presents the school with five boats.Joey Bettany didn't, Joey Maynard gave them one, not five.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 18:11 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

Vintagejazz wrote:
Caroline wrote:

But she wasn't comforting her, or being a calm reassuring presence. She was over excited herself and rushing out to the car dying to blurt out that Annis's father was there and trying to force her to play a guessing game when the poor girls was exhausted and shocked.

OK, but I was reponding to Jayb's comment about breavement counselling....

You know, now matter how everyone else seems to want to see the worst in Joey and everything EBD has her do, I can't help but like her. So there it is. I think I'm entitled to my opinion, rare as it seems to be on th CBB these days.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 20:33 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Caroline wrote:
Vintagejazz wrote:
Caroline wrote:

OK, but I was reponding to Jayb's comment about breavement counselling....

You know, now matter how everyone else seems to want to see the worst in Joey and everything EBD has her do, I can't help but like her. So there it is. I think I'm entitled to my opinion, rare as it seems to be on th CBB these days.

I think Joey is such a realistic character everyone has very definite opinions about her. Same as for Mary-Lou who is my favourite. I cannot take to Len no matter how many times I think she is so nice.

Credit to EBD for creating characters about whom we feel so strongly.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 22:09 
Concerned about new girl
Concerned about new girl

Caroline wrote:
You know, now matter how everyone else seems to want to see the worst in Joey and everything EBD has her do, I can't help but like her. So there it is. I think I'm entitled to my opinion, rare as it seems to be on the CBB these days.

Thank you! Please keep saying so.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 22:19 

On a completely different note, the book starts with Margot being sent to Canada with Madge and Jem. I wonder how far ahead EBD was thinking in terms of storylines about the triplets. They were 7 ( I think), so way off being major characters. There hadn't been that much talk about Margot's health previously. She seemed as healthy as Len and Con in Three Go.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 09:36