Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 09:06

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Books: The Chalet School and the Island
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 10:16 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Caroline wrote:
I had thought he commuted weekly, coming "home" for the weekends. But maybe I am misremebering, and EBD doesn't make it clear.

I thought that too so there must be a throwaway line somewhere we are both thinking of.

Victoria wrote:
Jack was, quite clearly, the only male in the entire GO oeuvre, who could survive by himself for more than 48 hours....

The line I am remembering is Jack asking Joey when she was coming home because even though Anna was looking after him, her menu was apparently limited.

Which I thought was weird given Anna does most of the cooking anyway so what could possibly be the difference? Or maybe it was just his way of saying he missed his wife.

But I may be remembering a line from Rescue when the Plas Gwyn was fine and he was staying there on his own while everyone was on holiday.

cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Books: The Chalet School and the Island
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 11:33 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

Caroline wrote:
Vintagejazz wrote:
Caroline wrote:
But surely the point is that to Annis, Nell and Hilda are Teachers, and also Teachers that she has been at loggerheads with for at least two terms. Joey isn't, she has no agenda, Annis has no preconceived ideas, or guilt or shame, or anything around Jo. She is the neutral person who can comfort Annis without any of the teacherness creeping in or reminding Annis of past misdeamenours...

But she wasn't comforting her, or being a calm reassuring presence. She was over excited herself and rushing out to the car dying to blurt out that Annis's father was there and trying to force her to play a guessing game when the poor girls was exhausted and shocked.

OK, but I was reponding to Jayb's comment about breavement counselling....

You know, now matter how everyone else seems to want to see the worst in Joey and everything EBD has her do, I can't help but like her. So there it is. I think I'm entitled to my opinion, rare as it seems to be on th CBB these days.

I think Joey provokes strong and mixed feelings in readers. But she's like the exasperating cousin you sigh and complain about sometimes. But you'd really miss her, all the same, if she didn't turn up at Christmas or for the annual family picnic.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 09:06