Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 04:23

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Books: Carola Storms the Chalet School
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 15:00 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

Joyce wrote:
Audrey25 wrote:
Some newspapers - certainly the Daily Mail - would still have women confined to the bedroom and the kitchen.

The Daily Telegraph here (also Murdoch owned - sensing a trend here?) is much the same. And yet we persistently refuse to be dragged back to the dark ages.

I think the Barclay brothers own the Telegraph? I'm pretty sure it's not a Murdoch paper but it could well be!

I also love the secret shopping at the beginning though the part where Carola doesn't recognise a house she has visited annoys me!

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 18:09 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

What I hadn't realised until recently was that Carola had actually visited the house twice before. I could understand her not noticing very much once especially if she was overwrought, but not so much twice.

Regarding the newspapers, the Sun and (Sunday) Times have the same owner, I think - Rupert Murdoch?

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 02:17 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Mia wrote:
I think the Barclay brothers own the Telegraph? I'm pretty sure it's not a Murdoch paper but it could well be!

He owns Newscorp which most definitely owns the Daily Telegraph. One read of it and you can tell. It's got his slime all over it.

Audrey25 wrote:
What I hadn't realised until recently was that Carola had actually visited the house twice before. I could understand her not noticing very much once especially if she was overwrought, but not so much twice.

Maybe she was being cagey because she wasn't supposed to have been there :D So she pretended not to know it and then Daisy blows her cover out of the water.

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 07:03 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

Not wanting to get off topic, but the Australian Sunday Telegraph is owned by NewsCorp (Murdoch). The Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph in the UK are owned by Press Holdings, which is indeed the Barclay Brothers, not Murdoch.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 09:43 
Presenting your school report

This thread is verging on the political. Whilst politics is not a forbidden topic on the CBB, this forum is not the place for it. It is for discussion of the books themselves - see the banner at the head of the page. We haven't descended into ad hominem attacks in this thread [yet?] but to ensure we don't, please keep the Forum Rules in mind.

*Ruth with mod hat on*

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 09:50 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

abbeybufo wrote:
This thread is verging on the political. Whilst politics is not a forbidden topic on the CBB, this forum is not the place for it. It is for discussion of the books themselves - see the banner at the head of the page. We haven't descended into ad hominem attacks in this thread [yet?] but to ensure we don't, please keep the Forum Rules in mind.

*Ruth with mod hat on*

Apologies.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 09:57 

No forum rules have been broken as I'm pretty sure Ruport Murdoch isn't crying into his pillow.

Thanks Joyce, I hadn't clicked you were in Aus for some reason.

I also like the scene where Carola has a little midnight feast on a tray, but it seems a lot of food for night. Bet she had nightmares afterwards.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 10:06 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

roversgirl wrote:
Not wanting to get off topic, but the Australian Sunday Telegraph is owned by NewsCorp (Murdoch). The Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph in the UK are owned by Press Holdings, which is indeed the Barclay Brothers, not Murdoch.

Sorry - the minute I pressed 'submit' I realised you meant the UK ones. Then I got caught up doing something else and forgot to go back and edit my post.

Doesn't help when the papers are all called 'Telegraph' :D

abbeybufo wrote:

*Ruth with mod hat on*

Sorry. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 20:17 

Audrey25 wrote:
abbeybufo wrote:

*Ruth with mod hat on*

Apologies.

Also sorry! I was only trying to provide info!

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 20:40 

Don't worry, folks, as Mia says, no rules have been broken ... but we were straying a bit far off topic, and I wanted to make sure we didn't go any farther in that direction.

*Ruth with Mod hat on*

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 04:23