Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 18:10

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Books: Shocks for the Chalet School
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 12:05 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Audrey25 wrote:
Alison H wrote:
Stacie misses two years of school, then goes to the Annexe, where the average age is about 11, and then gets into Oxford ... where she presumably does extremely well, as she stays on to do a doctorate.

Julie Lucy repeats a year because she has time off due to appendicitis, which is rather more realistic.

And then goes on to start the training she hopes will lead to a career as a barrister... This after we are told just a few years earlier that Julie is not very bright. I think EBD gets the brains of Julie mixed up with the brains of Betsy.

She doesn't start her training straight away as she then spends the next two years at St Millies. I never understood the point of Julie repeating a year as the school weren't having public exams that year, so it's not like she'd get to sit them, so why couldn't she go to St Millies.

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 12:45 
Finding out about the Sale
Finding out about the Sale

Quote:
I never understood the point of Julie repeating a year as the school weren't having public exams that year, so it's not like she'd get to sit them :?

Good point. She'd have done better to stay at Carnbach and done her A Levels there. In the real world, she could have revised in the summer/autumn and done her exams in November, with people who were doing resits, then gone to St Mildred's in January to join her own cohort.

I don't know about these days, but it used to be expected that you'd pretty much covered the syllabus by the time you did your Mocks in January. The rest of the time was revision, based on the results of the Mocks. So Julie shouldn't have missed much if any new work when she was off after her op.

In CS land, I suppose EBD just wanted her to be HG.

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 18:22 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

At the time Barbara was written, when we first see Julie as HG, EBD seemed very interested in the Guernsey families. Barbara Chester is the main person in this book but Julie, Vi and Beth Chester also feature quite strongly.

Julie is followed as HG by Betsy. EBD might have wanted continuity with the Armishire/Island books which was why she chose a character from a very established CS family. It's also about this time though that the last La Rochelle book, Janie Steps In, was published.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 22:53 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

Isn't it quite unusual to have your sister as your godmother?

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 23:14 
Overawed by Miss Moore's sharp tongue

Mia wrote:

Maybe if sister is a lot older - which one are you referring to here? Don't remember an example.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 07:11 
Despairing over Geometry
Despairing over Geometry

ivohenry wrote:
Mia wrote:

Maybe if sister is a lot older - which one are you referring to here? Don't remember an example.
And having a much older sibling was not uncommon in the large and sometimes step-parented families of EMBD's generation and a bit beyond, of course.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 07:51 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Dickie Christy is godmother to her half-brother. She's 18 or 19 when he's born.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 12:53 

ivohenry wrote:
Mia wrote:

Dickie Christy, mentioned in the thread. Just seems a bit random as she's only in her late teens, as Alison said.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 22:12 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

I seem to remember reading that one of Bobby Kennedy's older daughters was godmother to his youngest or similar.

President Kennedy could even have bern godparent to a younger sibling.

Edited to add - Rory Kennedy who was born six months after her father was shot had as godparents a brother who was only 10 or 11 and a sister of about eight.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 11:56 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

I've been reading this book lately. I'm not sure what to think in some ways I like it but in others, I'm not entirely sure. I like how Emerence is introduced and how the old mistress blames herself for it and decides to warn the school. I also like how Emerence is a typical bad child. Easily bored and wants to do everything her own way, but then I find some of the things she's done unbelievable and you wonder how she gets away with it. Her mother thinks she should be allowed to run wild and you should never say no now that to me is one thing I have a problem with as I'm sure no parent would think that.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 13:26 
Discovering you have to be trilingual

moiser30 wrote:
I've been reading this book lately. I'm not sure what to think in some ways I like it but in others, I'm not entirely sure. I like how Emerence is introduced and how the old mistress blames herself for it and decides to warn the school. I also like how Emerence is a typical bad child. Easily bored and wants to do everything her own way, but then I find some of the things she's done unbelievable and you wonder how she gets away with it. Her mother thinks she should be allowed to run wild and you should never say no now that to me is one thing I have a problem with as I'm sure no parent would think that.

Oh some do, trust me. The idea of totally undisciplined children may be abhorrent to many of us, but they do exist.

'Well,call me Aunt Fanny on my tombstone!'

Rosalie in 'Theodora...'

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 22:45 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

Mia wrote:
Dickie Christy, mentioned in the thread. Just seems a bit random as she's only in her late teens, as Alison said.

Oh, not unusual. One of my godmothers - no relation, but daughter of family friends - was only 16 when I was born.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 11:25 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

I think Len also becomes godmother to Biddy's daughter (Marie?) when she was about fourteen. Someone asks her about it, and she admits that it is unusual, but that she is very proud. Maybe because Len was so super-responsible she was considered suited to the role despite her age?

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 11:42 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

In the RC church, fourteen is the youngest one can be a godparent or it was when I was that age and became godmother to my niece.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 20:00 
Sheepdogging a new girl
Sheepdogging a new girl

I thought for Catholics you just had to have made your confirmation.

My friend is her sister's godmother, I think she's about 15 years older. It was quite normal to me.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 21:19 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

Isn't one of Therese of Lisieux sisters her godmother?

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 22:58 

Mrs Redboots wrote:
Mia wrote:

Oh, not unusual. One of my godmothers - no relation, but daughter of family friends - was only 16 when I was born.

One of my godmothers was an 18 year old second cousin.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017, 16:24 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

Just reading Coming of Age and a comment made me think of this thread.Doris is talking about Prudence and says she doesn't know why Prudences godparents wished that name upon her.
In my ,admittedly limited, experience, its the parents, not the godparents that choose the child's name.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017, 17:17 

Yes of course it is indeed usually the parents!

EBD does this in the La Rochelle books too - Honeysuckle Raphael gets her name from a godmother, remembering a casual conversation that they should follow Heather and Hazel with Honeysuckle!

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 10:33 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

I don't know about in real life, but in the context of EBD books the child is often named afted the godmother, or the godmother is given the privilage of choosing the name. Len and Con are both named after their godmothers, and so is Cecil. I don't think we hear about who is godmother to most of Jo's other children. And there are the various characters called Josephine and Margaret, where Jo an Madge are godmothers. (An even more striking example is in the Abbey books with all the little girls named Rose with their godmother being Rosamund, Countess of Kentisbury.) I can think of at least one occasion where Jo is asked to choose the name of a child who is to be her god-daughter.

Often it is a middle name, which may be used less, as in the case of John Noel Bettany, whose god-mother apparantly insisted on the name of Noel being added in - and it was then ignored for the rest of his life.

Possibly it is represent the involvement and influence of the godparents in the life of the child.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 18:10