Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 08:03

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Books: Changes for the Chalet School
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 20:38 
Finding out about the Sale

Quote:
Similar in a lot of places ... where I grew up in Poole it was "If you can see the Purbecks, it's going to rain; if you can't see them it is raining"

And on the coast in this part of the world, if you can see France, it's going to rain!

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2017, 01:31 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

If you made it a year or two later, they could have had Jem taking over the new branch, and Madge, with her youngest in the nursery class, could have taken over the management of the new school. I admit that this wouldn't work in the CS series structure as it was at the time, but it would make an interesting alternative universe version.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2017, 10:55 

I think it was right for Jack to be the one to set up the new San. It's a significant career advancement for him.

Jem is clearly in demand for international conferences. He wouldn't have been able to do that and focus on the new San. Going to the Platz would have been a backward step for him, I think; he'd been there and done that nearly twenty years before.

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2017, 11:16 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

It's a great opportunity for Jack. At the British San, he'd always have been in Jem's shadow. And, by the time Jem was ready to retire, younger doctors - possibly David, Rix or Laurie - would have been snapping at his heels.

I think it's in this book that Joey says they're originally planning on going for ten years. At that point, they have no intention of selling Plas Gwyn. Then, by the end of the Swiss books, they seem to be planning to stay permanently, or at least until Jack retires. That seems to happen with a lot of people who move away for work reasons: it's not originally intended to be for ever, but then they settle into the new place, and life in their old community moves on without them, and they end up deciding to stay. But it wasn't originally intended to be a permanent move.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 00:41 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

Alison H wrote:

I think it's in this book that Joey says they're originally planning on going for ten years. At that point, they have no intention of selling Plas Gwyn. Then, by the end of the Swiss books, they seem to be planning to stay permanently, or at least until Jack retires. That seems to happen with a lot of people who move away for work reasons: it's not originally intended to be for ever, but then they settle into the new place, and life in their old community moves on without them, and they end up deciding to stay. But it wasn't originally intended to be a permanent move.

This certainly rings true for me. I moved out here Grenoble) thinking it would be for 20 months max, and now it appears we are staying here till SLOC retires. Still there are worse places to live. :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 23:32 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

My mother used to be sent to the window before hockey matches to see how clearly Howth could be seen. If it was very clear and close, the weather would be bad.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 08:03