Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 23:51

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Books: A Chalet Girl from Kenya
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 17:46 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

Cannot think of any boss - however much I liked/respected them - after whom I would have named my children!

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 18:07 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

I sometimes wonder if it was the names EBD went for as opposed to the people.

"Len" was a name that EBD was called so I think triplet Len was named after the author. I also wonder if some of Miss Wilson was based on EBD? I can take on board Len being called after Miss Wilson and Miss Wilson being godmother. She did go through a lot with Jo - and Jack. The name Len though is just awful.

Regarding Constance, Joey said she wanted to give the three girls names starting with "C", another being Claire but cannot think of a third. Was Con Stewart made godmother because she already had this name which EBD liked and was Miss Nalder then picked for the third because she had been the other guide leader in Camp?

I would have called them (not necessarily in this order):-

Helena ....... (Josephine maybe) with Miss Wilson as godmother and no Len in sight.

Some variation of Robin's names with Robin as godmother.

Margaret Therese in honour of Madge, Margot Venables and Mlle who had just died with Simone as godmother. Marie's husband and Frieda's brother were both godfathers but Simone had no-one.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 23:41 
Battling with Matey
Battling with Matey

Joyce wrote:
And WHY did Joey not name a single one of her daughters after her three closest friends or even middle names? Maybe she was keeping the names for the quads she kept threatening to have!

Imagine Joey having quads and naming them Josephine, Frieda, Simone and Marie, and EBD writing about their schooldays in the 1980s!

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 08:38 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

Jo's still pretty young when she has the triplets, so I can see her not really thinking of her peers as godparent candidates, and looking towards people who were adults and authority figures when she was in school. Plus, they need to be Catholics.

Of her former mistresses, the candidates would be Maynard, Stewart, Wilson, Lachenais, Carthew, Durrant and Nalder. Mollie Maynard seems like an obvious choice - she's close to Joey and Jack's sister - but maybe she's too far away to contact for her permission before they are baptized.

For the men, she picks Herr Anserl, and the husbands of two of her schoolmates, Gottfried Mensch and Eugen von Wertheimer. However, the latter two are older than their wives by enough that Joey met them for the first time when they were adults.

For namesakes, Jo has

Felicity Josephine Maynard
Margaret (Peggy) Josephine Bettany
Josephine (Josette) Mary Russell
Carolotta Josephine de Bersac,
Josefa Wertheim (possibly),
Margaret Josephine von Alden (Cornelia's kid),
Josephine (Jose) Cecelia Margaret Helston (Elisaveta's kid),
Josephine (Jo) Mary Scott,
Josephine Margaret Walton (Miss Carthew's kid)

and Madge has

Sybil Margaret Russell
Margaret (Peggy) Josephine Bettany,
Theresa Daphne Bettany (middle name),
Josephine (Josette) Mary/Margot Russell (EBDism),
Therese (Tessa) Marguerite/Elise de Bersac (EBDism)
Josephine (Jose) Cecelia Margaret Helston (Elisaveta's kid),
Josephine Margaret Walton (Miss Carthew's kid).

So a small class, at least. It's not nearly as bad the Abbey series, where random people keep naming their babies in honour of Rosamund, but mostly by sticking in "Rose" as a middle name.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 09:11 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

Joey may also have had a real-life namesake: the dedication of Kenya reads:
Quote:
For my god-daughter JOEY TIMMS (Josephine Mary Loyola Timms) with much love and best wishes for all her future from Elinor Mary Brent-Dyer

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 10:59 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

It seems as if Jack didn't get a look in regarding the godparents of the triplets.

Wasn't Mollie Maynard Protestant when she initially appeared in the books (as was Jack). Maybe EBD still thought of her as Protestant.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 13:06 
Attending the Fifth Form Evening
Attending the Fifth Form Evening

Audrey25 wrote:
It seems as if Jack didn't get a look in regarding the godparents of the triplets.

To be fair, Jack was off fighting somewhere in the East when the triplets arrived. Even if they had discussed names in advance, they hadn't planned for three babys. And some people don't like to discuss things like that before the baby is born.

And Jack's sister is Mollie Maynard - wasn't that a form of Mary? All the triplets were named Mary, and while I doubt that Jack's sister was the primary consideration, it might have been an additional factor.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 21:27 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

Quote:
To be fair, Jack was off fighting somewhere in the East when the triplets arrived.

He was in France - and there wasn't a lot of fighting going on, except at sea, at that stage of the war. He was on his way to the East in Highland Twins, I think, when he was reported killed.

I can understand Jo naming one of the triplets after Nell, and wanting her to be godmother, after all they'd been through together. Less so the other two.

Regarding her friends, she didn't know when she might see Frieda again, and if there was one she was closer to than the others, it was possibly Frieda. Perhaps she felt she couldn't ask the other two without her.

If circumstances had been different, she might well have asked Herr Marani and Herr Mensch to be godfathers.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 23:51