Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 14:09

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Books: Bride Leads the Chalet School
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 23:21 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

This week’s discussion thread features Bride Leads the Chalet School, first published in 1953 and covering the Easter term following Shocks and Oberland. Head Girl Loveday Perowne leaves the Chalet School two terms early, and Bride Bettany takes the wheel in her place. Meanwhile, the Chalet School at Tanswick closes down and many of its pupils come to the St Briavel’s CS, including Diana Skelton, who causes trouble for the prefects, and Bride in particular. Notable events:

The book opens during the Christmas holidays at the Quadrant. Mollie Bettany is still recovering from her operation in November, and it appears that Peggy will have to leave St Mildred’s in order to run the household in her place. However, a letter arrives from Mollie’s sister Bridgie, whose daughter is about to get married and move to Kenya. As she wants the newlyweds to have some time living themselves before she goes to join them, Bridgie offers to come to the Quadrant for a few months and run things until Mollie is fit again.
That afternoon, Miss Annersley arrives at the Quadrant with the news that Loveday Perowne’s godfather has died and left her a ranch out in South America. She and her parents have gone to settle up affairs there and will be gone at least six months, leaving the Head Girl post vacant. Miss Annersley offers the job to Bride who, after some deliberation, accepts.
The new term begins, and rumours soon begin to spread that Loveday has left. The prefects, as agog as anyone over the news, are eventually enlightened by Bride when she arrives. That evening at Abendessen, Miss Annersley confirms to the school at large that Bride is now Head Girl.
The next morning, the prefects go for a walk, and Tom reveals to the others that she won’t be going to St Mildred’s with them as they can’t afford it, and that it isn’t really necessary anyway as she has decided to become a missionary, working in London.
That evening, the new girls arrive as per the new rule, and Bride is met by Betsy Lucy and Katharine Gordon, who inform her that they have met one of them, whom they call A Beauty, and remark that she is very stuck on herself. Bride spots a likely candidate Abendessen, and notices that there are far more new girls than is usual for an Easter term. She also notices Julie playing with her dessert, and Julie admits she has tummy pains, but orders Bride not to say anything.
At Prayers, Miss Annersley informs the girls that the Chalet School at Tanswick has closed following the death of the headmistress, and thirty nine of its girls have joined the St Briavel’s CS. She also says that a new mistress, Miss Moore, will be arriving the next day from Canada to take over the new form, Upper IVB, which has been created to deal with the influx of new girls. She also announces that a branch of the San has opened in the Oberland (only to open again the following term in Changes :roll: ) and the proceeds from the Sale that term will go towards that. Finally, she announces that they have arranged for the use of the local swimming baths at Carnbach three times a week, much to the delight of the girls.
After Prayers, Nancy and Bride meet Betsy with The Beauty, whom she introduces to them as Diana Skelton. Bride welcomes her pleasantly, but Diana’s languid reply and Cockney accent startles her and Nancy, and they begin to feel uneasy about how the Tanswick girls will fit in.
Fifteen year old Marian Tovey, one of the Tanswick girls, finds herself in Leafy dormitory and Upper IVA, both populated by Mary-Lou and Co. She earns herself an immediate black mark with them when she ignores dormitory rules about tidiness and lining up to go down to Frühstuck, getting Gwen Jones, the dormitory prefect, into trouble. Later, during a Scripture lesson with Miss Annersley, she and the other Tanswick girls fail to stand up when the Head enters the room, and later when she prepares to leave it. Miss Annersley gently points out what is expected of them in that regard and leaves them feeling stunned at how many rules there are and how much work is expected of them.
The staff invite Miss Annersley to coffee one evening and regale her with tales of woe regarding the Tanswick girls, particularly Diana, who has riled them all with rudeness, refusing to hand work in, and general snobbishness. Mlle de Lachenais also suspects she cheats, although she has so far been unable to catch her at it. Miss Annersley tells them that she will have to stay with them until at least the end of the year, but that she has already warned Miss Wilson not to accept her at St Mildred’s. She reveals that Diana’s father is a millionaire who has worked his way up from almost nothing, and warns the staff not to let the girls know about it, as she thinks they will use it against her in retaliation for her snobbishness.
One evening in mid-February, the prefects are having an informal meeting when Julie Lucy, who has had a return of tummy pain all week, becomes suddenly very ill with them. Believing she has appendicitis, the prefects get her to bed and fetch the staff. The doctor is sent for, and when Nurse examines Julie, she believes it may be peritonitis. Julie is taken off to hospital, and the remaining prefects and Mlle say a prayer together for her before going to bed. The next day, Miss Annersley arrives back and tells them that Julie has been successfully operated on and they are hopeful she will make a full recovery, but that if it had been twelve hours later, she would have died.
Later that morning, Miss Annersley sends for Betsy and Vi and tells them about Julie. Both are badly upset at the news, but Vi is soon consoled and sent off to join her friends. Betsy is still worried, but Miss Annersley points out the strides that have been made in medicine and that the best thing they can do is pray for Julie. She allows Betsy to have breakfast alone with Nancy, but insists that she rejoin the others afterwards and try not to worry.
With Julie recovering but definitely not returning that term, the prefects decide to send a deputation to the Head and ask if Dora Robson could be promoted to her place. The voting makes them slightly late for overseeing Kaffee, which has a knock-on effect on slow eaters, including Diana. When everyone else has left and Bride and Primrose tell her to hurry up, she loses her temper, flings her cake on the floor and stamps on it. Primrose tells Bride to go and join the deputation and leave her to deal with it. She makes Diana clear up the cake with the threat of the maids seeing her, and tells her to come to the Prefects’ room later and apologise. Diana, however, does not appear.
Things remain at a deadlock for a week between Diana and the prefects, and Bride decides to write to Jo for advice, as she doesn’t want to go to the Head unless as a last resort. Jo writes back and advises them to dock Diana of her privileges if she continues to refuse to apologise.
The prefects send for Diana and manage to get her to come, and give her the choice of apologising in front of everyone at Kaffee the next day, or lose her privileges such as Hobbies and the fiction library. Furious, Diana finally agrees to apologise, and does so the next day with great reluctance. Elfie and Nancy, seeing the glares she gives to Bride, warn the latter that Diana will be out to get her own back, but Bride laughs it off.
The prefects hold a meeting to discuss the theme for that year’s Sale, and after rejecting several ideas as either having been done before or unworkable, Bride hits upon the idea of using A.L.O.E.’s The Crown of Success as the theme.
The girls hold a show of their work so far for the Sale, including a model village made by Tom, Nella Ozanne and Katharine Gordon. Then Matron sends for Bride and takes her down to the Head Girl’s study, and Bride is stunned and horrified to find that it has been completely wrecked.
Bride goes straight to the Head, who orders Matron to lock the door, then comforts Bride, who bursts into tears. After consoling her, the Head asks if anyone has a grievance against her, but Bride can’t think of anyone, so she sends her to bed and calls the staff, Seniors and Middles together.
After telling the girls what has happened, Miss Annersley asks who did it, but nobody stands up. Mary-Lou notices that Marian Tovey is scarlet and whispers a message along to the rest of her form. She is caught and hauled up to the front, but it has the effect of prompting Diana to realise that Marian will give way if questioned, and so she stands up herself and confesses, and reveals that she blackmailed Marian into helping.
The next morning, Miss Annersley questions Bride and the other prefects and gets the full story about Diana from them. She then sends for Diana and has a long talk with her, making her apologise to Bride and pay for the damage caused, and putting her under constant supervision for the rest of the term. She also puts Marian in solitude for two days and bans her from cake, sweets and jam for a week.
The Sale is held, and the model village is won by Sir James Talbot, the Opener, on behalf of his wife. He donates it to a hospital for poor children with TB. The Sale raises £217, 1S 6d in total.

So, thoughts on this book? How do you think Bride measures up as Head Girl? Thoughts on Diana and the other Tanswick girls? What about Julie’s peritonitis and how everyone handles it? Do you think the right calls were made in the aftermath of the ragging of Bride’s study?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Books: Bride Leads the Chalet School
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 01:25 
Finding out about the Sale

This is probably my favourite of the Island books, although I do have some reservations.

I like the domestic scenes with the Bettanys at the start. With Madge and Jo off the scene, it's nice that they get a chance to take centre stage.

I do think it was rather unkind to wipe out nearly all Bridgie's family just so she could come and help out at the Quadrant! It's also rather sad that she says she doesn't suppose she'll ever have a house of her own again. She's probably quite young still, maybe mid-forties, she could even marry again.

I'm not really convinced by Hilda saying the reason they didn't originally choose Bride for HG was because they were afraid it might look like favouritism. Bride was either the best candidate or she wasn't; I don't see Hilda and Nell ever being afraid to do what they thought was right because of fear of what people would think.

I like Bride's whole crowd. There are some quite strong characters there, but they're fun too.

The Tanswick storyline is something new; we had Rivals, in the Tyrol era, but EBD didn't really make a great deal of the merging of the two schools in New. I suppose EBD had been thinking about it since at least Wrong. Was that when we first hear of the Tanswick school? She must have been trying to work off a whole lot of ideas before making the move to Switzerland.

I like the way the little prayer meeting when Julie is ill is described. It's more effective for being low key, without the preachiness of some of the later books.

I think the whole section on the wrecking of Bride's study is very well done. Bride's reaction, first her anger, then her breakdown, is very believable. I like the way the truth comes out, with a variety of characters being involved. Mary Lou is at the forefront, but she still gets squashed for her own good.

As to whether Diana should have been expelled, I think one could make a case either way. Thekla had a longer record of misbehaviour leading up to her expulsion. This was Diana's first offence at the CS. Her treatment of Marian was an even worse offence than the wrecking of the study, and could well have deserved expulsion, but possibly Hilda felt she couldn't punish Diana for something that originated at Tanswick.

The one thing I don't like is Bride referring the whole matter to Jo. It's to keep Jo involved even when she's not there, but it does slow things down, and makes the prefects look weak. In fact (as Jo should have known) it was established in the school's very first term that when someone defied the prefects as Diana did, the proper thing to do was to report her to the head. Gisela did it when Grizel defied the prefects then, and both Madge and the authorial voice said she was right to do so, without any suggestion that it made the prefects look weak.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 03:01 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

JayB wrote:
I do think it was rather unkind to wipe out nearly all Bridgie's family just so she could come and help out at the Quadrant! It's also rather sad that she says she doesn't suppose she'll ever have a house of her own again. She's probably quite young still, maybe mid-forties, she could even marry again

Or even live alone!

I was always confused at that part because we get a sudden onslaught of Mollie's family without any previous reference.

She has a younger sister called Bridget who Bride is named after. Despite us being told ages before that the sister had died in childhood!

Bridget and her husband Patrick had three sons who died in a yachting accident. Patrick then dies. That leaves Bridget with her daughter Pat who is getting married.

But in the letter she says this:

"Pat’s wedding is fixed for February 3rd so ’tis busy we are as you may imagine. It’s a very quiet one as her father died only three months ago"

Which sounds like a very strange way to describe your husband! So is the groom her son? And therefore Pat's father is NOT Patrick?

But Bride complains that Pat did not ask them to be bridesmaids:
"‘I think it’s rotten of Pat not to ask us to be her bridesmaids,’ Bride grumbled. ‘I was looking forward to that—the first wedding in our generation!"

Which makes it sound like Pat is their cousin and not Rodger. Unless Bride expects to be asked to be bridesmaid for her cousin's new wife!

But "their Uncle Michael's daughter" Mary is flower girl, so we are back to Pat being the cousin.

So I think we have to assume Pat is the cousin and Bridget chose to refer to her dead husband as "Pat's father" rather than by his actual name! :shock:

Quote:
Gisela did it when Grizel defied the prefects then, and both Madge and the authorial voice said she was right to do so, without any suggestion that it made the prefects look weak.

They also completely misread Diana's character which EBD points out several times. To them she was a spoilt silly girl and they were prefects who are used to being obeyed. And they don't understand that Diana does not see them in that light and so does not recognise their authority.

They think going to the Head will be SEEN as being weak - but they can't see that not being able to handle the situation themselves is ACTUALLY being weak.

And Joey doesn't know Diana and completely underestimates how she will react so what she suggests pushes Diana over the edge.

To something else, during the discussion on the sale theme, they almost decide on a Nursery Rhymes sale when Madge decides to be difficult and wants to be a cow from the Hey Diddle Diddle rhyme. Bride says they would need to provide the little dog and the dish and spoon to accompany her which can't be done. And if she's on her own, she'll look silly. Madge won't change her mind so they give up the idea!! What the heck?? Why should one silly girl have so much power over them?

And they are only deciding on the theme a few weeks beforehand leaving so they need to prepare the stalls, costumes etc in a rush.

I know they have been making items for the sale all year but suddenly they need to make puppets for the history stall, paperweights with butterflies for the natural history stall, come up with contest ideas etc. If they decided earlier, wouldn't it be easier for all concerned?

Also a massive EBDism regarding which prefect Diana is supposed to be apologising to - Audrey or Madge. It should be Madge, but she ends up apologising to Audrey.

cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 07:35 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I really like the Bettany family at home scenes at the beginning.

I think Bride, Nancy, Tom, Julie etc are one of the best friendship groups in the series, but they let themselves down as HG and prefects by referring everything to Joey. It makes them look very weak. And the conversation in the staffroom, about how Diana would have "a very thin time of it" if people knew that her dad was a self-made man, is so snobby that it makes me cringe.

The school merger storyline is interesting. The days of the very small private school, dependent on its headmistress/founder, were coming to an end, and there must have been a lot of girls in similar situations at around this time. It also says a lot about how much Madge and Mlle achieved: the Chalet School could well have stayed as a very small school, and, even if it stayed open after Madge's marriage, could certainly have closed after leaving Tyrol.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 11:12 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

I liked this book in large part because I liked the characters of Bride, Tom & Co and it was nice seeing them as Prefects. Do have one question though: Primrose is Second Prefect, shouldn't she have been promoted as Second Prefect to Head Girl? I always wonder how she felt about that. In Shocks it's acknowledged that Second Prefects as almost the same amount of work as Head Girl, but not nearly the same amount of kudos. Do people think it was a fair and reasonable decision? Or is it unfair to Primrose?

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 11:30 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

I think EBD deliberately forgets about Primrose as she is dying for Bride to be HG. I love the early scenes with the Bettanys and it's interesting that they have no 'treasure' to wheel in a tea-trolley. Peggy makes Devonshire splits while the kettle is boiling. I think EBD is trying to show a relaxed informal family scene here and it's a pity that we never see them again because the Maynards take centre stage. I agree also how ruthless EBD can be in killing off characters for plot purposes. Why couldn't another of Mollie's cousins/sisters come for a year or so? I like to see ML being a naughty Middle too.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 12:47 
Going to investigate
Going to investigate

I like most of the book very much, particularly like other people I like the Bettany family scene, and the Bride/Julie/Nancy crowd.

However I really don't like the study wrecking. In general EBD doesn't do spiteful episodes which so often crop in other stories of the time, (especially magazine stories such as in School Friend etc) Same reason I don't like Eiluned's anti-Peggy campaign in Peggy Seems she's being a bit sensationalist, perhaps she felt the Island books were getting a bit same-y.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2017, 02:58 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

I loved the beginning of this book where the Bettany family just got on with it and their pleasure in having Molly recovering from her operation.

Peggy was no super hero when she thought she might have to stay at the Quadrant instead of going back to school but she was willing to do so because she loves her mother.

When EBD starts going on about Molly's relatives I didn't pay too much attention but I do remember thinking it strange Molly's sister not referring to her husband by name. Did EBD want to make the reader totally aware of the relationship or, was she not totally aware herself?

Bride, Tom & Co were a great friendship group but again a group of prefects had to appear weak so Joey, in Canada, could be brought into the story. New readers to the series must have thought this really bizarre - the reliance on someone not even there.

I know Joey generally adds a bit of glitter but should she have ended up living right next door to the school in Switzerland? Could she not have lived further away or even have stayed in England. Would the series have worked so well if Joey had not been there?

Julie's peritonitis much too real but bearing in mind the months she was peaky beforehand should one of the docs have discovered?

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2017, 09:19 

Bearing in mind that Matey had given Matron Besly a lecture on how totally useless she was for not realising that Jo had toothache, you'd think she should have realised that one of the girls had a condition which was potentially fatal :wink: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2017, 11:28 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Alison H wrote:
Bearing in mind that Matey had given Matron Besly a lecture on how totally useless she was for not realising that Jo had toothache, you'd think she should have realised that one of the girls had a condition which was potentially fatal :wink: .

Julie was also supposed to have been examined by the family doc- her uncle Dr Chester? - in the hols.

My husband had peritonitis in 1963. Kept getting sore stomachs but doc kept saying it was nerves at starting a new school

Like Julie he had adhesions and also like her he had to repeat a year in school. Initially though he missed the best part of a year of school. I wonder was it realistic Julie being back so quickly especially when she was about as ill as she could be.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 01:54 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

Quote:
She's probably quite young still, maybe mid-forties, she could even marry again.

She would not even be that. Bridget is Mollie's younger sister and we are told Mollie was only 19 when Peggy and Rix were born. Peggy is now 18 so that makes Mollie 37.

Even if we are generous and say Bridget is only a year younger she is still only 36. Which means, if Pat is 23 as Mollie says, then she had the girl when she was 13!!

I know that's physically possible but far more likely EBD's terrible math skills striking again. But it's amazing no subsequent editor picks up on these things and doesn't ask her to add a line with "stepdaughter" in it.

Despite my nitpicking, I do love this book. Bride's gang just seem more evenly spread and interesting. Too many of the other friendship groups have one or two dominant characters and we barely know some of them, but in this one all of them are individual characters.

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 15:02 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

This is also one of my favourites of the UK part of the series. Bride is one of my favourite characters, and I like her whole group of friends - they're an interesting, likeable group, with no-one who dominates, and we see them over a variety of ages, from 10 to 17.

I do wonder at the CS agreeing to take the whole Tanswick crowd. They're pretty much all 1-4 years behind their age-mates at the CS in academics, and are not used to reasonable discipline or regular work, and are lacking the language skills of the others. They take in 40 new girls into a school of about 250, which is a significant percentage of the school population, and they seem to be clustered in the middle and young senior forms. So they're disrupting discipline, the tone of the school, dragging the other students back, and creating a lot of work in remedial tutoring.

I think it would have made more sense to agree to take girls who tested to within a year of the appropriate form for their age, or only girls 14 and younger, or something like that. If the school were distributed over multiple new schools, it would have been less of a disruption on each school.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 19:19 

Quote:
I do wonder at the CS agreeing to take the whole Tanswick crowd.... They take in 40 new girls into a school of about 250, which is a significant percentage of the school population, and they seem to be clustered in the middle and young senior forms.

It probably made sense, given that they're about to split the school. They've got the costs of setting up the Swiss branch, so they need the extra income, plus the fact that one branch or the other might be left without enough girls to make up the usual number of forms. The Tanswick girls would help with that.

I remembered that Bridgie was originally younger than Mollie, but for the purposes of this discussion, I went with Pat being 23, rather than tie myself in knots trying to reconcile the EBDisms! (The person Mollie really needs, of course, is Lucy Eyelesbarrow.)

Bride is a bit insensitive, saying that Pat ought to have all her cousins as bridesmaids, when her father has only recently died. Neither Pat nor Bridgie is likely to want a big wedding, in the circumstances.

One thing I like about Bride & Co as prefects is that they don't take themselves too seriously. They take their prefectships seriously, but they do plenty of joking around too.

And I do think Tom Gay is one of the most admirable girls the CS ever produced. She has a lot of influence, without ever being overbearing or preachy about it. And she doesn't make a fuss, just gets on with things.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 19:56 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

I can't imagine any school turning down the option of taking on an extra 40 pupils unless it was physically impossible. Just think of the extra fees!

I agree about Tom, an entirely admirable girl - that'll be the dolls houses of course :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 22:17 

Wow, it never occurred to me to be confused about Pat. Her mother is Bridget, Molly's sister, therefore cousin to the Bettanys. Where does the confusion arise? :dontknow: :dontknow:

Ok I'll admit to being a competely uncritical reader when it comes to the Chalet school and I never noticed any EBD-isms when I was younger. Never realised that they existed till I read a companion book that mentioned them. But seriously, as Aunty Bridget's daughter who else could Pat be but their cousin??

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 01:35 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

RubyGates wrote:
Wow, it never occurred to me to be confused about Pat. Her mother is Bridget, Molly's sister, therefore cousin to the Bettanys. Where does the confusion arise? :dontknow:
Ok I'll admit to being a competely uncritical reader when it comes to the Chalet school and I never noticed any EBD-isms when I was younger. But seriously, as Aunty Bridget's daughter who else could Pat be but their cousin??

Bridget herself is an EBDism as she is meant to be dead :D

Sorry - I never meant to start anything. But I find the wording very strange.

Bridget never refers to Pat directly as her daughter so it's inferred rather than stated. But she calls her husband 'Pat's father' rather than his name.

Even if that's normal, Bridget simply cannot be Mollie's younger sister AND have a 23yo daughter at the same time. So Pat must be a stepdaughter, but given EBD's obsession with families and telling us who are steps and who are biological, the omission is interesting.

BTW, to something very different, did anyone track down Crown of Success to read just because of this book?

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 02:57 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

Joyce wrote:
BTW, to something very different, did anyone track down Crown of Success to read just because of this book?
Interesting one, that - I've long thought that it was a slightly strange choice for EMBD to have made, and even a slightly risky one - might some readers be put off by its very unfamiliarity? And for some years after Bride was published you couldn't easily have got access to it - it's not like the Alice books, which have never been out of print.

In my case I didn't precisely track it down - Bride was one of the last books I acquired for myself, and not very long afterwards, a friend was moving house, and asked me if I'd like the few older books she had. Rather to my amazement, The Crown of Success was among them...

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 04:38 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

I figure that EBD remembered that Bride was named after an aunt, but forgot that the aunt was both younger and dead.

In Tom Tackles, Bride says that they've got

Quote:
cousins in Ireland-Mother's sister's children; and there are five in one family, and three in the other

In Bride, though, Bridgie is married to Patrick and they have daughter Pat and three sons, who were drowned in a yachting accident four years before. Then Mollie mentions Michael and Kathie, and also Kathie's sister, which would imply that Michael is the one related to Mollie. That would make sense with a later reference to "uncle Michael's Mary".

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 07:11 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

Re Crown of Success. I admit I read it because of 'Bride'' and rather enjoyed it. Somewhat akin to 'The Waterbabies' I seem to recall.
Edited to remove autocorrect.

Last edited by Jools on 18 Sep 2017, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 13:29 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

Noreen wrote:
Joyce wrote:
Interesting one, that - I've long thought that it was a slightly strange choice for EMBD to have made, and even a slightly risky one - might some readers be put off by its very unfamiliarity? And for some years after Bride was published you couldn't easily have got access to it - it's not like the Alice books, which have never been out of print.

In my case I didn't precisely track it down - Bride was one of the last books I acquired for myself, and not very long afterwards, a friend was moving house, and asked me if I'd like the few older books she had. Rather to my amazement, The Crown of Success was among them...

I read it on my Kindle ages ago. So it is available. I've just looked at Amazon.de which is my local one - the download is free and there is also a paperback version. I imagine Amazon.co.uk is the same.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 14:09