Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 11:25

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Books: A Genius at the Chalet School
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 18:12 
Deciding to learn Russian
Deciding to learn Russian

Hair colour, she has black curls. Although it seems strange to us now, the word really was in common usage then, I expect some of us had paintboxes with a colour called n----- brown, or even bought jumpers or skirts called that colour. We were simply using as a colour description, like rose red or grass green without any thought of it being pejorative. EBD cetainly didn't mean it to be.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 18:56 
Going to tea at Freudesheim

So if a white person had curly black hair, that would make them a n*****? That's really bizarre. It was like when Joey made that comment about Frieda's baby, even though Carlotta wasn't black either. Just olive skinned.

I knew about that word being used as the name of a colour. Seems weird, especially when you consider how many shades black skin has.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 19:12 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

E J Oxenham doe the same sort of thing - I remember a remark by a fair-hared character about a dark-haired one, saying enviously that, 'You n-----y people always look good in pink'...!

It was just common parlance and didn't have any deliberate racial connotations, just descriptive of dark hair - not necessarily curly either.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 19:21 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

I have always taken it to mean that the general colouring, i'e hair,eyes etc was darker than the rest of the of the family. In frieda case all she and the boys & Gretchen all fair & blue eyed, and baby Carlotta is dark haired etc. Hence the comment

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 19:24 

I've got dark hair, and I'm also very pale and burn easily. I got my dad's pasty skin.

On another note, I understand Nina and Miss Burnett being angry at Hilda, and I agree that Hilda should have paid attention, but Miss Annersley, Miss Lawrence AND the rest of the class all laying into her as well was a bit unfair. It was an accident, and she did apologise, and she ends up being so miserable she has to go and lie down. Joey at least calls Nina out on her unforgiving behaviour in the extra bit for the paperback, as does Miss Annersley, so that's something.

That aside, Nina is a wonderful character. I'm only halfway through and I love her. And she has a very kind and supportive family. They don't have a clue about music, but they do what they can to make sure she can practice, and she in turn is willing to look after the fire and clean the room and so on. It is interesting how she never really becomes part of the Gang - she's not a total Billy No Mates, she does make friends, but music always comes first and she always has this feeling of being slightly detached from her peers.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 21:04 
Giving a Junior an order mark

Would you like '"She's a little darkie" any better, though? Both were common at the time, and I distinctly remember my eldest cousin's daughter (born in 1965) saying to her mother (quote) "People will think you're a nigger" because my cousin was both dark-haired and suntanned. To us now it's no less horrible because it's casual racism, but it was very common indeed, and as others have said, not deliberately nasty.

Genius was first published in 1956 - just over sixty years ago, when life was very different than it is today, so I'm afraid this really is yet another case of having to make allowance for that.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 21:06 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I think the Hilda storyline is one of Mary-Lou's finest hours. Her butting in often annoys me, but she does very well in this book. Everyone is ridiculously hard on Hilda. Injuries do happen in ... OK, leapfrog isn't sport as such :lol: , but injuries do happen in PE lessons. It's not as if she deliberately hurt Nina, or if she was mucking around: it was an accident during a game organised by a mistress, and we're told that Nina wasn't standing correctly because she wasn't used to the game. If she was so afraid of injury, she shouldn't have been taking part in Games lessons. Professional sports players are often banned from things like ski-ing holidays for just that reason.

It's pretty silly to play leapfrog with 15 year olds. It's fine with little kids who won't differ than much in height and weight, but, at 15, one girl could be 9 inches taller and four stone heavier than another.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 12:30 

I don't think Nina should have done leapfrog either tbh, not if she had to protect her wrists that much. And Mary-Lou is great in the book. In fact, I like her in the Swiss books in general that I've read, although she is a bit obnoxious in 'Barbara'. The series takes a noticeable downturn once she leaves the school.
Noreen wrote:
Would you like '"She's a little darkie" any better, though? Both were common at the time, and I distinctly remember my eldest cousin's daughter (born in 1965) saying to her mother (quote) "People will think you're a nigger" because my cousin was both dark-haired and suntanned. To us now it's no less horrible because it's casual racism, but it was very common indeed, and as others have said, not deliberately nasty.

Genius was first published in 1956 - just over sixty years ago, when life was very different than it is today, so I'm afraid this really is yet another case of having to make allowance for that.

I know, it was common for people to throw that word around a lot in the old days, I just didn't realise WHITE people got called it. I thought the word only referred to black people.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 13:03 

Fair point!

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 13:09 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Lotte wrote:
I know, it was common for people to throw that word around a lot in the old days, I just didn't realise WHITE people got called it. I thought the word only referred to black people.

I think that is why some of the misunderstandings have occurred, because people of colour have been upset, thinking it was directed as a pejorative term to them, when at this period - and I don't excuse more recent usage - it was a neutral term used for all people who had any darkness of colouring, including just their hair, and that anyone who had learnt latin would know the derivation for.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 13:13 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

abbeybufo wrote:
Lotte wrote:

I think that is why some of the misunderstandings have occurred, because people of colour have been upset, thinking it was directed as a pejorative term to them, when at this period - and I don't excuse more recent usage - it was a neutral term used for all people who had any darkness of colouring, including just their hair, and that anyone who had learnt latin would know the derivation for.

One of our family names was "Blakeman" - referring to a dark-haired family in an area where many were blonde or ginger. Similarly "Fairhead"

"Association does not infer causality"

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 14:47 

Oh yes, lots of surnames commenting on colouring - Whitehead, Polyblank, Horabin, Blakelock, Redhead, Blount, Russell, as well as the more frequently found Black, White, Grey etc...

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2018, 20:09 

Irish speakers will know more about this than I do, but in the Irish language I recall that when a person is described as black, it means they have dark hair. (The word for actual black people means 'blue people'.)

Someone commented earlier on Tom making houses and I'm in the camp that thinks she'd jump at the chance, and I think at this point she's in London so she'd probably get the kids in her youth club to help as well. Tom's houses are like little works of art. (And I'm another one who loves Elisaveta and is glad to see her back.)

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2018, 20:13 

Lotte wrote:
Irish speakers will know more about this than I do, but in the Irish language I recall that when a person is described as black, it means they have dark hair. (The word for actual black people means 'blue people'.)

Those of us who read Barbara Taylor Bradford's books in the 1980s :lol: will remember that Emma Harte's best friend, Shane O'Neill, was known as "Blackie" because he was a "black Irishman" - a white person with dark hair and eyes. Maybe it'd be considered offensive now, but 40 years ago (I think the book was originally published in the late '70s) it wasn't.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 23:37 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

You see the same problem with sites claiming that this person or that (Charles II was one) must be African because they were referred to as "black" or had "black" in their names.

That's a modern usage being imposed on a historical use. Charles II was known as "The Black Boy" not because he was African but because of his hair colour. (And the last "King of Scotland" wasn't African just because he had "Dhu"/"Dubh" in his name...)

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2018, 11:37 
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor

Victoria wrote:
You see the same problem with sites claiming that this person or that (Charles II was one) must be African because they were referred to as "black" or had "black" in their names.

By that logic my ancestors must have been aliens from outer space? :)

(Lesley Green)

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2018, 16:46 
Declaring it to have been the best term
Declaring it to have been the best term

Lesley wrote:
Victoria wrote:

By that logic my ancestors must have been aliens from outer space? :)

(Lesley Green)

:lol: :lol: :lol: a

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 11:25