Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 20:13

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Biddy
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 20:05 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

I lived in Stockport until my teens and still have a noticeable English accent after a couple of decades in the USA. It pops out in unexpected ways. One day I was downloading a file at work. I meant to say, "Wow, it's large." Instead I blurted "Bloody big, innit?" much to the surprise and amusement of my co-worker.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 03:29 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

I do wonder what happened to Biddy's half-brother, who was adopted by her step-father's sister.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 09:11 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

There are some drabbles about him, written by Frogize, but I think EBD forgot about him.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2017, 18:16 
Being taken down a peg or two
Being taken down a peg or two

I suspect that quite a lot of the time, Biddy uses her Irish accent and idiom for effect - to cheek the staff when she's younger, and to make sure her pupils have heard what she's saying when she's older.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2017, 00:31 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

My grandad was from Cyprus. He moved to England when he was about 20 and only went back to Cyprus for holidays/visits. He had a really strong Greek accent right to the end.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 20:15 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

I like Biddy, even if her Oirish accent makes me cringe (I told a friend from Belfast about it and she said, "I have never said 'wirra wirra'"), more as a pupil but I agree that teacher!Biddy does have a more distinct personality than some of the other mistresses. She is pretty mean to Miss Slater in Changes, though. It must be galling for a former pupil to be making fun of you for wanting another job and not being good at languages. And in retrospect, she's one of the school's greatest success stories - she comes from a working-class background and ends up going to uni and becoming a teacher and leading a successful life.
Aquabird wrote:
Alison H wrote:
My great-aunt (by marriage) moved to England to marry my great-uncle about 60 years ago, and still speaks broad Glaswegian :D .

Yep, my grandpa's the same. 40 years in Yorkshire, married to a Yorkshirewoman, and not even so much as a whiff of it in his accent, it's as Weegie as the day he left Greenock. I, on the other hand, start greeting everyone with 'Yawriiiiiight, luv?' before I've been there three days. :D

My dad's family were from Greenock and he and my gran and my auntie all lived in England, and none of them lost their accents. Dad's accent wasn't as strong as some of my other relatives (my great uncle Jimmy needed subtitles!) but he never lost it. I, on the other hand, pick up accents wherever I go. Put me in Liverpool and I get a Scouse twang.

ETA: I remembered something else about Biddy - how she says 'I do not' instead of 'no'. Sarah (aforementioned Irish friend) sometimes does this as well and it's because Irish doesn't have 'yes' or 'no'. I tried learning it and it's one of the things I remember. She still uses some Irishisms and has a Belfast accent even though she's been in England for years, though she says people back home think she talks posh now.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2018, 15:08 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

jennifer wrote:
I do wonder what happened to Biddy's half-brother, who was adopted by her step-father's sister.

Me too. Especially during the War. What a sad situation to separate them. I wonder if there was something subconscious there with EBD losing her own little brother.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 20:13