Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 10:55

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Books: The Chalet School and Richenda
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 19:33 
Promotion to Five A
Promotion to Five A

I was born in the 1940s. I was never smacked or hit in any way at school, remember being smacked just once by my father; my brother, cousin and I had been expressly told not to play in a local sand extraction pit, becaiuse it was dangerous - but we did. My brotherand I got smacked, but not my cousin because "she wasn't his child". I could see his point,but I still thought it wasn't fair! I was about 10 at the time, and they were 9 and 8.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 19:50 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

Joyce - Mother's selective memory must have made it difficult. The school punishments also sound tough.

Ivohenry - Especially when a child anything unfair rankles.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 20:39 
Scarlet fever!
Scarlet fever!

My mother never regretted her physical punishments. They were for our own good and we should have been obedient. :shock: To be fair, it didn't happen often, but I can recall one morning when she chased me round the kitchen table to give me smack. I was 16!! :roll: I don't feel in any way angry about it all. That was the way it was - as it was at school. I was the first girl at my junior school to get the slipper, when they stopped caning the girls. That happened in 1955, and I have no idea why, as I was very timid child. There was, however, no physical punishment at my convent grammar school from 1957 onwards, and I never saw any physical punishments in any school when I started teaching in 1969 - although I did see some in some of my teaching practice schools up to that time.

Yes, Richenda's dad was harsh, but he expected her to respect his wishes, and she didn't. He was so wrapped up in his ceramics he didn't try to understand her, but she was still wrong. in the end, of course, it all worked out well, as they learned to understand each other, thanks to other people's wisdom.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 10:55