Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 10:58

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Books: The Chalet School and Richenda
PostPosted: 13 Aug 2018, 17:43 
Being taken down a peg or two

There is one scene in one of the UK books where one of middles is complaining that she only has sixpence left after fines for slang and 'because it's two thruppenny bits' it'll all have to go to church collections (by this I assumed that had she had three tuppences she'd have had an easy mind about only putting 4d into the collections total) and when someone offered to lend her money all the girls were horrified - all I could think was if they swap coins of the same value theres no issue

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2018, 19:13 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

There weren't tuppences then - sixpenny bit, threepenny bit, penny, halfpenny, farthing. The 2p coin came in in 1971 with decimal coinage, and was worth a little less then the old sixpenny bit.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2018, 19:52 

OK, then she could have just given a penny to each one

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2018, 21:34 
Learning to stand on your own two feet

I think they were supposed to put 'thruppence' i.e. 3d in each church collection. Otherwise she could have changed her money into pennies - that wouldn't have been against the rules.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2018, 21:39 
Swept off by Matey to pack

Regarding Len and the toothpaste, as Len was only a schoolgirl it was surely up to the "household" to provide her with toothpaste. I am quite sure there were plenty of spare tubes of toothpaste, soap, etc etc in store cupboards. The Maynards always strike me as having very organised households.

EBD needed Len to go out for the sake of the plot and must have been unable to think of Len buying anything but toothpaste! Sweets or some other small luxury such as a hair ribbon might have been more believable.

MaryR - Hope you are fully recovered soon!

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 02:55 
Receiving support from the form

jennifer wrote:
Alison H wrote:
But that's obviously a cultural thing because we see in Head Girl that Marie and Andreas's guests give money rather than "things", and that someone writes down how much each person has given.

Chinese weddings are very cash oriented - you show up at the wedding with your 紅包 (red envelope), and hand it over at the appropriate table, where you sign the guest book.

It's not really a quid pro quo thing though is it? We keep track of who came to the wedding so we can thank them afterwards but not necessarily so we can repay the exact amount whenever/if that person gets married.

Anyway, back on topic.

I reread the uncut Richenda last night and not only does Joey give her the envelope of money, but Jack gives them all a 'bill' when they visit the Valais region and she also gets a rhinestone brooch that he buys for each of them. By that stage, it's basically the Maynards treating Ricki like one of the triplets.

It's very sweet to regard her as family, and fair enough you treat your daughters for half term and give them cash and gifts, but they also have no idea what Ricki's father would think and some parents would dislike it.

Lotte wrote:
I think my mum would have thought it was very kind and generous. I doubt she'd have felt "oh no, we owe them," or been offended. And Richenda did buy Joey a lovely present as a thank you.

I assumed Joey was doing it behind his back.

If I went home at that age and said XX's mum and dad gave me spending money and a pretty brooch, my mother would feel it was an obligation and we needed to return the favour. I can see that attitude can cause issues though because the other parent would think "we didn't treat your daughter in order to be repaid."

And the entire half term - treats, money, gifts etc - is going behind Pro Fry's back anyway and against his express wishes. Even if he is wrong to carry on punishing her, he expressly said 'no treats' and Joey and Jack choose to ignore him.

Ricky lies by omission to him as well in her letter when she pretends to be working.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 21:22 
Deciding to learn Russian
Deciding to learn Russian

If Professor had anyone to blame, it's himself. Since the school was shut, it posed a problem for Hilda, which she solved by involving Joey, who did what she'd have done for any visiting child and let her join in all the treats she'd planned for her girls. It wouldn't have been reasonable to leave her at home, or to change her plans for her girls. The gift of money was a kindness. I think though the brooch was a bit OTT - Jack could have bought them for his girls, then given them later when Ricki wasn;t around.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 21:48 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I suppose Hilda could just have told him that they couldn't make special arrangements for one girl. I wish she'd told Althea's parents that too, when they expected the school to find Althea somewhere to stay whilst they were on holiday. I know the parents were paying fees, but the fees were for the normal services provided by the school.

It's very rare that a parent/guardian does interfere with school policy like that ... oh, for Naomi's aunt to have insisted that she be excused from attending religious services :D . I was just thinking about how poor Mrs Florence in What Katy Did At School must have felt when she ended up having to provide individual washstands for everyone because Dr Carr, parent of two new girls in their first terms, insisted that Katy and Clover couldn't possibly use the communal ones which had always been good enough for everyone else!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 23:43 

Maybe the Chalet School was the wrong school for Richenda and Naomi.

Was there any reason why Professor Fry could not have put Richenda either to a boarding school near his home where he could monitor her half terms etc, or else to a boarding school that maybe especially catered for the children of parents working abroad and would have had facilities for children not able to go home at half term?

As for Naomi, at the time that Trials was written pupils attended religious instruction classes, religious assemblies as a matter of course. It would have caused a huge fuss and made it difficult for the school if Naomi did not attend.

She should have been sent to a non-religious school if any existed at that time.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2018, 07:00 
Taking Lower IV A for Prep
Taking Lower IV A for Prep

Alison H wrote:
I suppose Hilda could just have told him that they couldn't make special arrangements for one girl.

She did tell him that. He still insisted:

Quote:
We send circulars round to all parents or guardians, stating what is going to happen and asking them to confirm consent. He got his notice and back came a very stiff letter. He regretted upsetting our plans, but Richenda was to have no treats at all this term. She was obstinate, disobedient and undeserving of them. She was to stay at school and he hoped that her mistresses would set her work to do over the week-end which would keep her well occupied!”
Shrieks from the others interrupted her. She waited until they had finished their recriminations and then she went on.
The Abbess sent him a personal letter, explaining that there would be no mistress on duty as they would all be away, and requesting him to reconsider his decision. Talk of obstinate! If Richenda is, she’s got it from him. Back came an even stickier reply. He imagined that at least some of the domestic staff would remain and if she was given plenty of work, he expected they could see to her. In any case, he refused to bear the expenses of the trip.”

Alison H wrote:
I was just thinking about how poor Mrs Florence in What Katy Did At School must have felt when she ended up having to provide individual washstands for everyone because Dr Carr, parent of two new girls in their first terms, insisted that Katy and Clover couldn't possibly use the communal ones which had always been good enough for everyone else!

Actually we don't know if she paid for them at all. Dr Carr bought the one for Katy and Clover, and Mrs Florence could just as easily have charged each family half the cost of one per room.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2018, 10:48 
Dashing off for your part in the play

The whole half-term fuss about there being no-one at the school doesn't make much sense in the first place. In a a school that size there's going to be someone who comes down with a bad cold or a stomach virus, or sprains an ankle, or is on Head's Report and barred from the half-term trip, so there'd have to be some plans for looking after girls who weren't going on the trip.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2018, 10:57 

Isn't there a time when half-term is changed and telegrams/letters sent to all parents to tell them of this which is also crazy as parents could be away and unable to take their children? Or is this actually in Richenda?

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2018, 11:16 

Mel wrote:
Isn't there a time when half-term is changed and telegrams/letters sent to all parents to tell them of this which is also crazy as parents could be away and unable to take their children? Or is this actually in Richenda?

Was that in Problem when the girls get an extra day? And yes, the school doesn’t stop to think of the chaos that could cause parents who have booked hotels etc to visit or take their daughters out.

Poor Rosalie actually has to call the places the girls are staying in to rebook. EBD slurs it over by saying it wasn’t tourist season so it was ok.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2018, 15:54 

Yes, because Simone had had a baby! I know EBD needed to give Joan time to run away, but imagine if they'd had an extra day's holiday every time an Old Girl had a baby.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2018, 18:00 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

Audrey25 wrote:

The Swiss CS was the "wrong" school for many of the people sent there! For most of the new girls we follow, the decision to send them to the CS makes little sense and the girls would probably have been better-off elsewhere.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2018, 18:03 

Naomi's aunt chose the Chalet School on Dr Chester's recommendation. Maybe he didn't know about Naomi's religious views, but you'd think a doctor would have realised that a school where girls spent their weekends going on rambles in the summer and ski-ing in the winter was not an ideal choice for someone with limited mobility.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2018, 22:17 
Going to tea at Freudesheim
Going to tea at Freudesheim

Yeah, i've got fibromyalgia and the thought of walking around a mountainous area does not sound fun at all to me! On the subject of Naomi, and I realise this is OT so should probably resurrect the Trials thread, I thought the fuss made over her stick was a bit much. It's an easy mistake to make, and Herr Laubach was not the victim there, and why Joey felt so sorry for him and thought Naomi needed a smacking is beyond me.

I think the CS was right for Ted, Joey's rude comments about her looks aside, because they were willing to give her a chance and let her make good, rather than judging her on her past exploits and condemning her before she shows up. And it works. It's just a shame Margot was so utterly vile to her.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2018, 04:13 

When you think about it logically, it doesn't make much sense for most of the UK students to be in Switzerland. Why would their parents send them to Switzerland, when there were plenty of good schools, including a branch of the CS, in England? The Swiss branch would be more expensive than a comparable English school, due to the cost of living difference, but it's not a high end boarding school either. The trip back and forth three times a year sounds unpleasant, and if there's a emergency, it would take days to get a girl back home (or her parents to the school).

It would make sense for girls like Samaris or Melanie, whose guardian is stationed in Europe but want their daughter to keep up with the UK education system. And it would make sense for European girls whose parents want a multi-lingual education along English lines, for San connections (but only short term) and family of San staff. It even makes sense for Richenda, whose father is deliberately exiling her from England for punishment.

In Tyrol, we've got a big group of local girls, including day girls, and they bring in various European family members. Then we've got girls with parents who are travelling in Europe or abroad (like Margia, Rosalie, Evadne or Cornelia). Later there are San connections, including girls whose family members are living at the Sonnalpe indefinitely. And Madge sets it up in Austria specifically because it's fairly cheap.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2018, 07:49 

There was the idea of spending some time abroad on the grounds of travel broadening the mind, improving your language skills, etc, going right back to young men doing the Grand Tour in the 18th century, which would fit with the idea of a year at a Swiss finishing school - although even that was more for the upper-classes than the daughters of doctors, accountants, lawyers, businessmen etc. But that's one year, and when you're perhaps more of an age to appreciate culture than you are at 11: I can't see the need to spend 7 years there, and be making that long journey 6 times a year. Historically, it was sometimes done for specific reasons, e.g. Catholic families sending their children to be educated in France or Belgium for religious reasons, but not when children are only getting the same education they'd be getting at home.

But EBD wanted the school back in the Alps :D .

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2018, 09:12 
Giving a Junior an order mark
Giving a Junior an order mark

Victoria wrote:
Audrey25 wrote:

The Swiss CS was the "wrong" school for many of the people sent there! For most of the new girls we follow, the decision to send them to the CS makes little sense and the girls would probably have been better-off elsewhere.
I'm not disagreeing, but wouldn't it make for pretty dull reading if it were the right school for everyone? And for those who think the CS ethos in the Swiss years is too conformist anyway (and again, I'm not entirely disagreeing) wouldn't that be exacerbated if all the girls were true CS types? Credit to EMBD for introducing a few spanners in the works!

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 10:58