Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 23 May 2018, 21:25

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Books: Theodora and the Chalet School
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 16:53 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

I think Emerence ought to be able to buy a small present for her friends. She is returning to Australia and may never see them again but they have been an important part ofher life for the past 5 or 6 years.

Yes the clock is too expensive and she should have handed the cheque into the school bank. But if she had been able to discuss her father's letter and wishes with Miss Annersley or her form teacher or Mary Lou, surely a compromise coud be reached.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 19:15 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

Hi everyone,

I will have to delay the Joey & Co thread as I have a guest coming to stay tomorrow for the week, so I won't have time to do the usual summary until next weekend. I was hoping I could get it done today, but I haven't had a minute to call my own since I finished work on Friday.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 19:42 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Don't worry. Have fun with your guests. We can wait. Thanks for doing this.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 20:05 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

Emerence is placed in a bit of a difficult situation. She's not supposed to tell anyone she's leaving while, at the same time, she's supposed to buy them remembrances!

She nearly gets away with that balancing act over Margot because they are such good friends and therefore Margot didn't think about the present being other than a friendship token but other people would have found odd if Emerence had suddenly started giving presents wholesale.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 20:05 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

Aquabird wrote:
Hi everyone,

I will have to delay the Joey & Co thread as I have a guest coming to stay tomorrow for the week, so I won't have time to do the usual summary until next weekend. I was hoping I could get it done today, but I haven't had a minute to call my own since I finished work on Friday.

thefrau46 wrote:

Agree - have a well-deserved week off!

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 22:17 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

abbeybufo wrote:
Aquabird wrote:
Hi everyone,

thefrau46 wrote:

Agree - have a well-deserved week off!

Another agree!

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 22:45 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

Another saying enjoy your time with your guests.

Quote:
But if she had been able to discuss her father's letter and wishes with Miss Annersley or her form teacher....

Well, there was no reason why Emerence couldn't have spoken to Miss Annersley or her form mistress. If she'd handed in the money as she was supposed to, and explained what her father had intended her to do with it, I'm sure she would have been allowed to buy small gifts for her friends.

Presumably Miss Annersley knew she was leaving. Mr Hope was wealthy enough not to care if he forfeited a term's fees in lieu of notice, but he should have let the school know she wouldn't be back as a matter of courtesy.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 23:57 
Lamenting the amount of work
Lamenting the amount of work

Another vote for 'enjoy a break from this with your guests' - I'm well aware of how much work summarising these books can be, and thanks so much for all the effort you've put into it!

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 04:43 
Being taken down a peg or two

Alison H wrote:
One of the girls in Enid Blyton's St Clare's books - is it Eileen? - starts buying expensive presents, and then it turns out that she's stolen the money because she's desperate to make friends and thinks that buying presents is the best way to do it.

It's Kathleen in the St Clare's series who does that and the storyline is repeated in the Naughtiest Girl series with Martin.

Also in St Clare's we see wealthy Angela and relatively poor Pauline who compete to give Hillary the best birthday present.

At least the CS girls don't bother with buying each other birthday presents. With Blyton, I always wonder what happens with those girls who have birthdays in the holidays. You've been buying gifts all term for your friends at school but come your birthday, unless they post it, they don't have to reciprocate.

Quote:
I think it just doesn't occur to her that other people might feel awkward about it. She wouldn't have dreamt of expecting an expensive present back ...

I think the point is not whether Emerence would expect anything but that I have been raised to reciprocate in kind which can get very embarrassing if a) I am not expecting a gift or b) I cannot afford it.

claire wrote:
I'm sure at one point Tom is told they can't exchange money because of this rule - when I'm sure what she was meaning was swapping the physical value of coinage for the same physical value (ie 2 thruppences for 3 tuppences - thats not lending each person has what they always had)

Tom offered to lend money to another girl who had been fined by Matron and was left with only 2 thruppences - one of which had to be for the church offering and the other for stamps, leaving the poor girl with nothing for herself. Tom was told bluntly she is not allowed to lend or borrow anything to another girl.

Quote:
Presumably Miss Annersley knew she was leaving. Mr Hope was wealthy enough not to care if he forfeited a term's fees in lieu of notice, but he should have let the school know she wouldn't be back as a matter of courtesy.

Maybe Emmy could have bought things in secret then tell the girls on the very last day and given out the gifts then. Because otherwise it looks very weird for her to be distributing presents with no reason whatsoever and not attract suspicion.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 08:46 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

It's a very clumsy plot device :lol: . It's not as if Emerence was leaving because of anything shameful/embarrassing, or any private family business. There was no reason why her father should have told her not to tell people she was leaving at the end of term. To Len and Con, it would have looked as if she'd bought Margot a very expensive present just because: it wasn't her birthday, or Christmas, or any other special occasion. But, OK, it is a plot device!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 12:39 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Yes, I suppose the idea of the clock was to bring it all to a head. It also proved though that Margot was greedy as well as everything else. The original dea was that Emerence buy all her friends reasonable presents.

Mr Hope does not strike me as a very imaginative parent but could his reason for asking Emerence not to mention the fact that she was leaving, have been to give her a normal last term. Also, he may have thought that Margot would put pressure on Emerence to try and persuade her parents to let her stay and so have made Emerence's last term difficult and sad.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 19:59 
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne

I wonder what Mr. Hope was thinking when he gave Emerence all that extra money. If he thought his daughter was mature or sensible enough to explain to the staff and deposit it in the school bank, he obviously doesn't know her very well. Or maybe he didn't care what she did with it. Or maybe he's not involved enough to even know there's a school bank. He knows his daughter is immature enough that she's leaving school early; it was silly of him to put Emmy in this position in the first place.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 20:39 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

Audrey25 wrote:
Mr Hope does not strike me as a very imaginative parent but could his reason for asking Emerence not to mention the fact that she was leaving, have been to give her a normal last term.

Actually - this is what I had always understood to be the reason. I read this early on and at the right age, so quite like this book, despite its flaws.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 10:54 
Exams...
Exams...

Audrey25 wrote:
Yes, I suppose the idea of the clock was to bring it all to a head. It also proved though that Margot was greedy as well as everything else. The original dea was that Emerence buy all her friends reasonable presents.

I don't see that there is any evidence of Margot being greedy. She saw the clock in a shop window and admired it. EBD specifically states that she had no though of owning it. I'm sure we have all admired thing in shop windows that we have no thought of buying. It was only when Emerence decided to buy it for her that things took off. Maybe one can see it as a lack of will power to do what she knew was right and refuse to let Emerence buy it for her.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 15:04 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

Miriam wrote:
Maybe one can see it as a lack of will power to do what she knew was right and refuse to let Emerence buy it for her.

But why would she? Let's face it, I'd have trouble with a refusal like that, if I really liked a thing and somebody, that I knew had no money troubles, offered to buy me that thing. And I'm in my 40's. Margot was only a teenager and Emerence was her best friend.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 17:25 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

But what was Margot planning to do with the clock? Her parents and sisters would recognise at once that it was valuable.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 17:46 

I don't think either of them stopped to think - it was a spur of the moment purchase, and they weren't the most sensible of people anyway.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2017, 01:34 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

I also see the clock incident as impulsiveness/weakness rather than greed. Margot's admiration of it is innocent, Emerence's offer is impulsive - well meant, but not well thought out. Margot knows very well that she shouldn't accept it, but she really, really likes it, and gives in.

I think the modern equivalent would be if Emerence had offered to buy her, right that moment, a new, top of the line iPhone. That's well out of the range of normal gifts among middle class teenagers, but also something very coveted where it might be hard to say no.

The bullying and plans for blackmail, though, are pre-meditated and just plain nasty.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2017, 03:13 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

But does it not all boil down to greed in the long run? Margot did not need the clock and her actions might have been innocent in the beginning, but she ended up accepting a wildly inappropriate, expensive gift just because she liked and wanted it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2017, 05:26 

Mel wrote:
But what was Margot planning to do with the clock? Her parents and sisters would recognise at once that it was valuable.

She was planning on smuggling it home to her room and keeping it hidden. Presumably keep it a secret till it was way too late to return it to Emmy.

Quote:
To tell the truth she had begun to wonder how she was to get it back to school without either of her sisters finding out. She knew that it wasn’t going to be easy to hide it, but she trusted to luck She ought to be able to slip home during the next day or two and then she could tuck it away in her own bedroom. On their fourteenth birthday, the triplets had been presented a bedroom apiece, Joey insisting that they were old enough to require their own sanctums now. During term-time, Anna kept them swept and dusted, but in the holidays they looked after their own. Each room had a small cupboard that locked. Margot felt that she could keep her clock there until she had had time to consider how best to explain it to her mother.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 23 May 2018, 21:25