Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 17:10

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Books: Joey and Co. in Tirol
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 04:57 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

I read this after many years (yay for visiting the parents over Christmas and being reunited with my beloved books!), and I have to say the only thing I remembered is Joey's hat bands, which reminded me of those Swatch style watches that were popular in the 90s.
I do feel that in expecting Ruey to make the house more homely the triplets (and to an extent, the narrator) show a lack of understanding of Ruey's circumstances. There is, for example, a comment how the triplets were amazed that Ruey can iron since she and her brothers had slept on rough-dried sheets! I feel ironing the bed linen would not have been Ruey's top priority, given she had a household to run single-handed.
I was also surprised by the big deal made over Joey's comment on Madge's weight. It's quite mean, but very much the kind of thing siblings/ close family say to each other. However, quite why the triplets would be excited to the extent that they especially write to Josette request a report on Madge's reaction seems rather extreme. It's not *that* funny!
At what point in the series does Jack change from an easy going pleasant individual to an extremely hot tempered tyrant? In Rescue, Joey does her best to hide Margot's less appealing qualities from him, but if iirc when Margot throws a tantrum, Jack takes her aside and has an instructive talk with her without losing his self-control. I like Joey leaping out of bed to comfort Mike, and her insistence he not be punished for the full holiday: it's much more how I would expect Joey to behave. While the 2 hr faint is rather extreme, it is in keeping with the various near fatal illnesses she had as a child, only sadly there is no Robin to sing her back to consciousness here.
This is the only situation where I don't entirely disapprove of the long-lost-tenuously-related-relative trope, mainly because Ruey realise is crying out to be loved. I think she would have benefitted more from a cosy grandmother or maiden aunt who could give her their undivided attention, than a busy couple like the Rosomons. And why oh why are the connections always so remote and convoluted?!
I enjoyed being back in the Tirol (with the classic getting lost on the mountain adventure), but do wish we got more of the Tirol- so much of the narrative seems to be about housekeeping the Richardson's house.
I'm in the Len/Roger camp too, he seems far more suited to her, and they would get to know each other really well. It's a shame that Armada sanitised the "six foot of manhood" to something less ambiguous, I did think his alarming the prim old ladies in his skimpy trunks was rather risqué for EBD though!
They also seem to drink a truly amazing amount of coffee- and it's not the milky coffee they usually have or Jean's nectar. It seems rather unhealthy...
Why didn't Len call Anna when Charles was ill? Surely that would have been the best compromise? I also took "don't disturb your mother" to be "don't be too rowdy"- even if it was indigestion I don't think Jack & Joey would have complained at being woken up.
I agree it's a shame that most of the family is packed off elsewhere, but equally there are so many of them that they it's hard to keep track of, and it's hard to care about them all. I prefer having a subset of Maynards to focus on. I do like the way they take care of the Richardson's, pitching in with housework and cleaning. I also like seeing Charles breakout in mischief- he is usually quite subdued, as EBD decided he ought to be a priest from such a young age.
I wish we found out what was in that box of the Professor's.
In all, I was surprised to find that I quite the book, it's a refreshing change from the "new girl joins the CS" format, and I do like the Richardsons...I'm surprised the "robbers" they attacked didn't reappear as future spouses.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 12:58 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

Loved reading this, mrs helston.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 19:31 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

I did too.

Very belated point but back at the beginning, ivohenry posted
Quote:
This is the book where I find the most incomprehensible situation. Len asks Ruey where to put the rolls and is told - in that mug over there. How big is the mug, how small are the rolls?? Even if they would fit, seems a daft place!
Might it have been a typo for 'jug'? OK, still sounds an odd thing to do, but at least it's possible!

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 21:17 
Going to tea at Freudesheim
Going to tea at Freudesheim

Noreen wrote:
I did too.

Very belated point but back at the beginning, ivohenry posted
Quote:
This is the book where I find the most incomprehensible situation. Len asks Ruey where to put the rolls and is told - in that mug over there. How big is the mug, how small are the rolls?? Even if they would fit, seems a daft place!
Might it have been a typo for 'jug'? OK, still sounds an odd thing to do, but at least it's possible!

Or a typo for 'trug'? That WOULD make (sort of) sense!

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 01:40 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

Audrey25 wrote:
Loved reading this, mrs helston.

Thank you! I was just very excited at being reunited with my CS books :D Sadly they are now at the other end of the globe again :(

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 17:10