Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 00:02

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Books: A Future Chalet School Girl
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018, 00:17 
Presenting your school report

Mrs Redboots wrote:
I assumed the toothpaste was just an excuse and what Len really wanted was Tampax or similar, but she wasn't going to say that to her father! One pretended, back in the day, that one's male parent was ignorant of such things....

Tampax? For a virgin in the late 1950s? Surely not?

It was perfectly possible that the girls swapped between toothpaste and tooth powder - we certainly did. And look, you could even get beakers to match the tins of powder

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018, 05:04 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

Mrs Redboots wrote:
I assumed the toothpaste was just an excuse and what Len really wanted was Tampax or similar, but she wasn't going to say that to her father! One pretended, back in the day, that one's male parent was ignorant of such things....

Not even just in 1950s. My dad in the 1980s/90s was incapable of adding my pads to the grocery list when it was his turn to do the shopping.

Even when I showed him the pack of the type I wanted, his excuse was always that he would buy the 'wrong' one. Mum finally told me he was embarrassed. I had no idea that sanitary pads could make him blush!

JayB wrote:
I always took it that the boys, at school in England, would have greater access to British and American pop music than the girls on the Platz.

Me too. Though we are told Joey's radio was powerful enough to get channels from Britain, I don't see the Maynard girls asking their mother if they could listen to 'pop' music on it.

And in 1961 there was a song called "Hello Mary Lou (Goodbye Heart)" by Ricky Nelson. Now that would have been an interesting chorus: "Sweet Mary Lou/I'm so in love with you..."

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2018, 23:32 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

I've just come to this thread and am amazed that no one has commented on how the former St Scholastika's needed an extension to accommodate the Maynard clan. Surely there must have been more St. S. pupils than Maynards? :D

I'd forgotten completely about tins of toothpaste.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2018, 00:55 
Playing Impertinent Questions

Miss Browne added an extension to the original chalet and I think that whoever bought St Scholastika had it removed. Therefore when the Maynards bought it, it was too small. The extra rooms sound a bit extravagant for a holiday home - a sitting room for the girls and a workshop for the boys! Also I noticed that the two Fs are considered old enough to have a room or rooms in the new part but are told 'but you can sleep here tonight.' I never understood the logic of that.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2018, 17:59 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

Quote:
The extra rooms sound a bit extravagant for a holiday home - a sitting room for the girls and a workshop for the boys!

And with the triplets going on sixteen, there weren't going to be many more years when the whole Maynard family would be holidaying together.

The sensible thing to do would be to let the house, or parts of it, to mistresses or Old Girls wanting holidays at the Tiernsee, when the Maynards weren't using it. Much better than having it standing empty for eleven months of the year.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2018, 18:24 

JayB wrote:

The sensible thing to do would be to let the house, or parts of it, to mistresses or Old Girls wanting holidays at the Tiernsee, when the Maynards weren't using it. Much better than having it standing empty for eleven months of the year.

I can well imagine that they did precisely that, though with their propensity for offering parts of their home to people I should imagine they did as I do, which is simply to say people are free to go and stay in the house whenever I am not using it myself.

We don't get to read everything that happens in the CS world :wink:

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2018, 18:34 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

It would have been a nice idea. AFAIK, we never hear of some of the staff who'd been there in Tyrol days going back there. I don't think Miss Annersley, Miss Wilson, Rosalie, the Dennys or Frau Mieders got to go on the trips in Coming of Age, and I'm not even sure that either of the Mlles did.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2018, 18:55 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

We never hear of Madge going back either.

Did the St Mildred's girls have their own trip to the Tiernsee? Nell probably went with them.

I should think Frau Mieders, and Hilda and Nell, went on private visits in their own time. Frau Mieders possibly still had friends and family in the area.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2018, 21:35 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

Madge does go back at least twice. It is stated at the end of Joey & Co that Madge and Jem are going out for a holiday once term starts. We are told at the end of A Future Chalet School Girl that Madge and Jem are going to the Tirol before they go to Australia.

Much is made of Jo's attachment to the Tirol but Madge's feelings for that part of the world must have been at least as strong. She set up, and made a success of, her beloved school, met and married Jem, set up home, had two children, brought Jo safely to adulthood, looked after the Betganys and the Robin and others, saw Jem make a success of the San and grow as a doctor.

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but it is also at the end of Future we hear Robin is going to live in France. The Maynards "cheered" but shockingly, in Adrienne as Robin is returning to Canada we hear that none of them, not even Joey, visited her when she was in France.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2018, 23:00 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

Quote:
Much is made of Jo's attachment to the Tirol but Madge's feelings for that part of the world must have been at least as strong.

Yes, if not stronger. Madge's emotions aren't all on show as Jo's were when she was a girl, but she must have been deeply affected by her experiences there.
Quote:
Shockingly, in Adrienne as Robin is returning to Canada we hear that none of them, not even Joey, visited her when she was in France.

I wonder why EBD made a point of saying that. She could have said nothing about it, or made a passing reference to a visit to Robin by the Maynards that took place 'offscreen' some time in the holidays.

I suppose Phil's illness prevented Joey going for part of the time, but not all of it, and you'd think Hilda or someone else could have gone, if Jo couldn't.

Even a nun as devoted to her vocation, and as sweet tempered, as Robin, might have been hurt and angry that no-one, out of all those who'd known her as a girl, took the trouble to travel to see her while she was in France.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2018, 02:07 

JayB wrote:

I assumed it was offered it to friends and family to stay there as Joey is nothing if not generous.

And what happens to the holiday home in Rescue? Is it ever sold? Josette says at some point that it belongs to the 'families' and they take it in turns to holiday there. But can they really afford to keep that place as well?

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2018, 03:01 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

JayB wrote:
Quote:
Much is made of Jo's attachment to the Tirol but Madge's feelings for that part of the world must have been at least as strong.

Yes, if not stronger. Madge's emotions aren't all on show as Jo's were when she was a girl, but she must have been deeply affected by her experiences there.
Quote:
Shockingly, in Adrienne as Robin is returning to Canada we hear that none of them, not even Joey, visited her when she was in France.

I wonder why EBD made a point of saying that. She could have said nothing about it, or made a passing reference to a visit to Robin by the Maynards that took place 'offscreen' some time in the holidays.

I suppose Phil's illness prevented Joey going for part of the time, but not all of it, and you'd think Hilda or someone else could have gone, if Jo couldn't.

Even a nun as devoted to her vocation, and as sweet tempered, as Robin, might have been hurt and angry that no-one, out of all those who'd known her as a girl, took the trouble to travel to see her while she was in France.

I thought EBD could have made an "offscreen" reference that Joey at least had visited because surely she would have done? Phil's first illness did not start until later on in the term after Robin had made her remarks and was back in Canada.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2018, 09:53 

Ailie is surprised to spot Robin at the station, dropping Adrienne off, so it sounds as if she didn't even know that Robin was in France. And Mary-Lou is upset that no-one had told her that Robin was in France - although she can only have known Robin very briefly, when the Maynards and Trelawneys were neighbours in Howells Village and Robin was around during university holidays. So it sounds as if most people hadn't even been told that Robin was there, and there's certainly no suggestion that anyone visited her :cry: :cry: :cry: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2018, 10:41 

As JayB commented when Audrey raised the subject, it does seem an odd thing to say about a much-loved character who has had such a loving upbringing by her adoptive family. I have read that at that time some orders of nuns did have a practice of discouraging any personal ties (even friendships among their members) because those were worldly attachments that might impede their vocation, but I don't think La Sagesse sounds that kind of institution at all.

It's no good - Robin must have been an under-cover agent in some way!

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 17:17 
Arguing with your guardian

The bit that always puzzles! me is why Melanie's aunt is adamant that she can't stay in England as a border, as she promised to look after her and couldn't do that if she was in another country, but is then happy to let her go with almost complete strangers to another country! I know the Tyrol is a lot closer to Switzerland than England but the principal is the same

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 18:55 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

Quote:
...why Melanie's aunt is adamant that she can't stay in England as a border, as she promised to look after her and couldn't do that if she was in another country, but is then happy to let her go with almost complete strangers to another country!

It's all one massive plot device just to get Melanie on holiday with the Maynards. The move to Switzerland, Melanie's illness, her uncle knowing Mr Embury so they can meet Winnie and she can introduce them to Joey...

And it was all a bit pointless because Melanie isn't at all interesting and her being there doesn't really add anything to the story.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 21:14 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

If the aunt is so concerned about her promise to look after Melanie, why send her to boarding school in the first place?
Carola's aunt was the outside of enough but she, at least, was keeping Carola under her own eye.

The CS World seems riddled by parents/guardians who are blithely happy to have children too far away to visit or too far away to come home in the holidays, and the opposite, the paranoid who who don't really want their child anywhere they can't see them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 18:05 

I spent this afternoon doing "plain sewing" - running up some curtains and I was thinking about this book and Con learning lacework and I think it was in "A Chalet School Headmistress" that one of the girls is learning embroidery. Yet in "Bettany's on the Home Front" they are arranging for a local woman to come and measure for dresses.

Even at my own school (a 1980s comprehensive with fairly low standards), just a couple of years before us the CSE band pupils had learned sewing and the GCE band learned embroidery.

It seems there is a definite class system in these activities which I might ignorantly clump together as 'sewing'?

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 09:01 
Buying your school uniform

Is it something to do with being poor enough to need to sew for practical reasons vs being wealthy enough to embroider as a luxury? For a real class-divide on sewing, my G-Grandmother grew up in a little village in Norfolk and would have been a similar generation to EBD. When she went to school the sewing classes made the vicar's wife's underwear!!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 09:37 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

I see things like embroidery and lace making as being more towards the accomplishment end of skills - a girl from a family that hired people to make their clothes and linens would still be expected to do fine handiwork for recreation. Whereas if a girl was from a family where they had to make their own clothes, sewing straight seams and making good buttonholes was the priority, and fancywork an extra.

The CS seems to bridge that gap. There's some effort to teach the girls basic sewing, and they do need to do their own mending, but they're not at the level of being able to actually make something like a dress. The embroidery, lace making, knitting and so on are firmly in the hobbies category, where girls do them for fun. And sewing sheets sides to middle is definitely a punishment.

My mother would be the same age as the triplets, and her training at home would have been very practical - mending, sewing to make clothing, knitting to make clothing, with lace work and embroidery not even in the picture.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 00:02