Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 08:30

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Books: Adrienne and the Chalet School
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2018, 07:53 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I quite agree - he was completely irresponsible! He didn't even seem to bother to think what would happen to Adrienne if/when he died. Even Eustacia's dad, who seemed to take little interest in her, arranged for her aunt to be her guardian, and the Carricks at least left Juliet with someone they knew would look after her.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2018, 17:39 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

Ailie should be the same age as Jack Lambert. Madge and Ruth Lambert were expecting at the same time, in Gay.

I agree Mr Desmoines, or whatever his name really was, is probably the worst parent - barring Stephen Venables, possibly.

Not educating Adrienne, or equipping her to earn her living, or making it possible for her to have friends her own age. Not making provision for a guardian in case anything happened to him. Not telling Adrienne anything about his or her mother's family, or at least leaving information for her to find after his death. He might have wanted to cut himself off, but she had a right to know.

Prof Richardson wouldn't win any father of the year awards, but they did have a housekeeper until they went to the Tyrol, and they all went to school, so there were other adults they could turn to in case of need. And the Richardsons had each other, whereas Adrienne was entirely alone.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2018, 22:32 
Swept off by Matey to pack

Just finished this book. I have only the Armada copy but absolutely no mention of what had happened to Rosamund or any announcement or even mention to readers about Len being the new head girl. Is there any mention in the unabridged versions?

We are also told that Len was Anna's darling and had been since she was born. Well, no, she wasn't. In another book, it could have been Joey & Co, we are told Anna's darling was Charles.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 11:05 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

Audrey25 wrote:
Just finished this book. I have only the Armada copy but absolutely no mention of what had happened to Rosamund or any announcement or even mention to readers about Len being the new head girl. Is there any mention in the unabridged versions?

There is absolutely no mention of Len being made Head Girl or why Rosamund left in either Adrienne or Readheads in the hardback. In fact Rosamund would have to be one of the least mentioned or have the least scenes of all the Head Girls in the entire series. (Discounting those who don't have a book like Bette Rincini).

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 11:16 
Being rude to your sheepdog

Does EMD condemn Adrienne's father's fecklessness, or is it excused because he's an artist, and fecklessness in artists is romantic? Do we hear anything about his art - whether it's any good, moves anyone to tears etc etc?

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 15:31 
Dashing off for your part in the play

There's not a lot said about the father - just that he was a travelling artist, didn't have much money, and didn't pay any attention to practicalities, leaving all that to his wife (and presumably, his 11 year old daughter after his wife died).

The switch in Head Girls is weird - every other time there's a mid-year change of Heads, there's a discussion of why it's happening. And later on, nobody seems to find it strange that almost 18 year old Len, brilliant and hard working, is being kept back in Upper Sixth for an additional year.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 16:04 

The best suggestion I've heard - and I can't remember who made it, sorry! - is that EBD started to panic in case the publishers pulled the series and her beloved Len :D never got to be Head Girl, so she shoved Ros out of the way. However, even Loveday, who only got to be HG for five minutes so that Bride wasn't directly succeeding Peggy, got an exit storyline. So did Mary, who was shoved out of the way so that Jo could be Head Girl. It's very, very odd that there isn't so much as one sentence explaining that Ros was "needed at home", or had taken up the offer of a job or a place on a training course.

I do sometimes wonder if EBD did genuinely think she'd written about something already, and just forgot that she hadn't. Phil Maynard's illness is another one. Being a rather weird person who has a lot of conversations in her head, I do sometimes genuinely think that I've told somebody something, and then realise that we never actually had the conversation in reality. If you're planning what to write in a book, you must go over things in your head, and maybe she really did forget that she hadn't actually put it in writing. Or am I just overthinking this :lol: ?

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 17:49 

Or she might have talked about it, or made rough notes, and then thought she'd actually put it in the book.

Jo didn't actually need to become HG when she did; she had another year of school ahead of her. I should think think it was done so that EBD could use the 'not wanting to be Head Girl' storyline as part of the wider 'Jo growing up' story.

Mary would have left at the end of that term anyway, and Jo must surely have realised she was in line to be HG in September. If she didn't, Marie or someone would have pointed it out to her. She'd have had the whole summer to get used to the idea, and there'd have been much less justification for her moaning.

In Len's case, because the triplets had been pushed through school so quickly, she should have been leaving that summer, so she would have missed out if Ros had had her full year.

Then EBD decided to keep them on the extra year, or her publishers requested it, for what was essentially a Special Sixth, so Len actually got five terms.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 19:04 
Discovering that JMB lives next door
Discovering that JMB lives next door

Alison H wrote:
The best suggestion I've heard - and I can't remember who made it, sorry! - is that EBD started to panic in case the publishers pulled the series and her beloved Len :D never got to be Head Girl, so she shoved Ros out of the way.

I think that might have been me in a FOCS article! Although it wasn't so much that the publishers might pull the series, but that she herself would run out of stamina or even die.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 21:05 

It would have tied it up better if we had got a proper explanation of Len becoming HG and Rosamund leaving.

I wonder, too, what would have been Joey's reaction? The readers of the time could hardly have been surprised at Len as head girl. Her absolute perfection riles me though.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 21:35 

Quote:
The readers of the time could hardly have been surprised at Len as head girl.

Speaking as one of those who was reading at the time, I was never in any doubt that Len was destined to be Head Girl, pretty much from the day she was born.

But it always seems unrealistic to me when the new HG is announced, and the girl in question is stunned and amazed. Surely the girls discuss it among themselves, and even when there isn't a dead cert, like Mary Lou, they must have an idea of who the front runners are.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 22:10 
Asked to help with the play
Asked to help with the play

I'd been thinking about the locket business then realised that this kind of thing became increasingly common in the Swiss books, and towards the end of the series. It seems to be illustrative of the problems EBD was having in keeping things straight.

It actually crosses two different problem areas.

Firstly, things that are mentioned which suggest more will be said about them later. There's a number of references (for example, Professor Richardson's box, Odette's tears) that look as though there was a subplot that was then cut (or possibly never developed) and the clearing-out of references to the now-absence subplot was never done correctly.

Secondly. repetition of a solution. I'm thinking here of Feud where Miss Ashley is repeatedly told that St Nicholas is too small and Prefects, where the solution to the Middles wanting motorboating is repeated THREE times. In the latter case, EBD seems to have come up with a solution (tell the Middles it's too expensive) and then tried out possible means of delivery (Jack, prefects and Head Mistress). Because the book was not edited properly (everything she wrote was shoved in) all three methods appear.

It seems to me that EBD wanted Adrienne to be related to Robin so she played with a number of ways as to how that might be discovered. One possibility was through the picture in the locket, another was through recognition by a member of the School. In the end, EBD went with ML recognising Adrienne's gestures (a much more unlikely solution than the picture in the locket turning out to be the dead spit of Robin but one which drags in the beloved ML) but the other possible solution did not have its "set-up" removed

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2018, 11:01 
Bored
Bored

Alison H wrote:

I do sometimes wonder if EBD did genuinely think she'd written about something already, and just forgot that she hadn't. Phil Maynard's illness is another one. Being a rather weird person who has a lot of conversations in her head, I do sometimes genuinely think that I've told somebody something, and then realise that we never actually had the conversation in reality. If you're planning what to write in a book, you must go over things in your head, and maybe she really did forget that she hadn't actually put it in writing. Or am I just overthinking this :lol: ?

It's quite probable that she did actually write about some things that seem to be missing, then removed them from the draft perhaps because her editor told her it was too long and 1000+ words had to go, then future references didn't get altered to make them fit.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2018, 04:26 

She does it in Two Sams as well, where there's a comment about one of them having a relative that shares a last name with one of the other's relatives, through their mothers, I think. Then it's dropped.

I don't think kids books of that era actually got much story editing. Proofreading, yes, and probably editing for length, but not someone reading through carefully to make sure that there weren't dropped plot lines or mixups in characters inside a single book, let alone over multiple books.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 08:30