Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 00:40

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Books: Prefects of the Chalet School
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 01:03 
Indulging in a midnight feast

Well, I kept it up after all. :D I really wondered if I would make it to the end, but here we are with the final discussion thread of the series: Prefects of the Chalet School, first published in 1970 and picking up straight after Althea, covering the second half of the Maynard triplets’ final term at the CS. It wouldn’t be a proper Chalet book without at least one natural disaster, a doctor rescue, an engagement to said doctor, a Middles’ prank gone wrong, an eventful ramble to the Auberge and a Sale with one of Tom’s dolls’ houses, and this book has the lot. Notable events:

As the school arrives back from the half-term trips, the prefects hold a meeting to discuss plans for the Sports, the Regatta and the Sale. The meeting is interrupted by Erica, Althea and Jocelyn, who arrive as a deputation to propose hiring motor boats and having races in them as part of the Regatta. The prefects send them packing, pointing out that nobody has had any training with them, and also that it would be too dangerous.
Smarting from the prefects’ crushing snubbing, the three Middles meet early the next morning to discuss their next move. Jocelyn is all for simply hiring the boats and a boathouse themselves, but when the others point out they have no way of getting any practice in, she gives in and agrees to canvassing for more votes from the other girls, particularly motor-mad Jack Lambert.
Jocelyn duly approached Jack, who admits she likes the idea but that it is too late now to do anything about it. She advises Jocelyn to put her idea forward in plenty of time for the next year’s Regatta, much to Jocelyn’s disappointment.
Kathie Ferrars, Nancy Wilmot, Sharlie Andrews and Rosalind Moore soon notice the discontent among the Middles and discover the cause, and consult Jo Maynard on how best to put a stop to it. Jo proposes that they tell the girls to organise the full funding of the project for the following year by themselves, reasoning that once they realise just how much work is involved they’ll cool off on the idea.
The mistresses take their proposal to Miss Annersley, who agrees to it. Len arrives at the study just as they are leaving to confess that she believes the prefects were too harsh and hasty in putting down the motor boat idea. On hearing Jo’s proposal, however, she agrees with it.
After Abendessen that evening, Miss Annersley tells the girls that while she believes motor boats are a good idea, nobody has had anything like enough practice, and that the costs involved would mean it would have to be treated as an extra like music, which would mean the parents paying extra. She tells them to give up the idea for now and concentrate on other things, but Jocelyn determines not to give up, although Erica and Althea have by now given it up as a bad job.
Len, Primrose, Audrey and Eve take Upper IVa and b on a ramble to the Auberge, though the mistresses due to accompany them are called away by the Head, leaving the girls in full charge of the prefects. They settle down to have their Mittagessen in a spot near a river bed which has dried up in the heat, but as they are finishing, Reg Entwistle comes by and warns them that a terrific storm is coming up fast. The girls are rushed back up to the path to the Auberge, but Len, who is last, is nearly caught in a terrific rush of water that hurtles down the mountainside. Reg stops her from going headlong and gets her up to the path.
Len faints from the reaction once they reach the safety of the Auberge and Reg has a wrenched back muscle from holding onto her through the flood, but otherwise nobody is hurt, and the two Upper IVs, once over the shock, are quite proud of their adventure. Miss Ferrars explains that a dam at a lake on the Rösleinalp had been broken down by a cloudburst, causing the sudden rush of water.
A mysterious illness breaks out in the school which nobody from either the San or outside hospitals can diagnose, but it spreads so far that the Regatta ends up cancelled, which reconciles Jocelyn to the vetoing of her motorboat idea.
One evening, Gretchen, one of the maids, misses the last train up to the Platz from the valley and sets out to walk up. By the time she reaches the school, everyone is asleep, and, not wanting to wake anyone and get into trouble with Karen, she climbs in through an open window, only to find herself trapped in a locked storeroom. She bursts into tears, the noise of which wakes up Matron Henschell. On her way downstairs to investigate, she trips, catches her arm in the bannisters and knocks herself out. The end result is a fractured arm and concussion, and she is sent off to convalesce for the rest of the term, leaving the other matrons, Nurse and the prefects to share out her duties amongst themselves.
Exams loom, and the prefects are busy supervising setting up the desks and filling inkwells. Afterwards, the triplets and Carmela Walther are strolling around the gardens when Margot reveals that she hopes to enter the Order of Blue Nuns after gaining her MB, then go in for tropical medicine. Carmela is astonished, but Len and Con indicate that they have had an inkling about her plans for a while. Len says that she isn’t sure about Reg yet and wants her degree first in any case, while Con hopes to publish a historical novel, though she isn’t sure yet on which period.
That night, a group of Middles led by Jocelyn decides to have a midnight picnic, as Carlotta von Eschenau has managed to smuggle in a box of contraband, and they know they will have to eat it that night before anyone finds it. However, as Jocelyn is creeping up the corridor to wake her fellow conspirators, she suddenly remembers they have nothing to drink, and she turns towards a bathroom to get some water.
Meanwhile, Jack Lambert, having woken up thirsty, had gone to the bathroom for a drink, and as she turns the door handle to go back to bed, Jocelyn turns it on the other side at the same moment. The knob comes off on both sides, leaving Jack trapped in the bathroom, and Jocelyn flees in fear, taking her side of the doorknob with her. Jack, after debating whether or not to drop out of the window and get back in another way, decides against it and instead yells for help.
Most of that part of the house arrives at the scene, including Con, who takes charge of sending everyone back to bed while Matron Duffin consults with Jack about her predicament. She eventually frees her with some tools from the Hobbies cupboard, and Con reports that, having got everyone back to bed, she has something to show her. Matron tells her to bring it to her in the morning.
Con duly arrives the next morning with Carlotta’s loot, which she had found lying in her dormitory. Matron thanks her and tells her not to say anything until she has decided whether to tackle it herself or report it to the Head.
Carlotta discovers her tuck is gone, but is unable to consult with the others before Frühstuck, and at the end of Prayers which follows, Miss Annersley asks her point blank if the box is hers. Carlotta and the others own up, and Miss Annersley scolds them, then tells them that they will be completely separated from each other and in the charge of a prefect in their free time for the week, and warns them that any further misbehaviour will result in them missing the Sale.
Preparations for the Sale continue, and Minette produces a litter of seven tomcats. Meanwhile, the girls spend a day preparing cakes and sweets, which are interspersed with a series of mishaps including Margot being drenched in green vegetable dye, Minette causing Jane Carew to trip up and drop a tray when she chases after another cat, and Bruno escaping from Freudesheim and levelling Margot, the first family member he sees.
The following day, events open with a viper being delivered to the kitchens in a basket of spinach sent down from one of the chalets, terrifying the kitchen staff until Matey and Gaudenz kill it. That night, Jack Lambert wakes up with the feeling that all is not right, but on doing the rounds of the dormitory she finds nothing amiss. Coming to the conclusion that there may be burglars in the school, she gathers a posse to investigate, but before they can begin searching, there is a loud disturbance outside which rouses the entire school.
The girls are sent to Hall to wait, and in the midst of the commotion Mary-Lou arrives, explaining that she hitched a lift up to the Platz with the Polizei, who are currently doing battle with a gang of men outside, whom she believes are either rowdy undergraduates, or an armed gang intent on kidnapping the terminally ill daughter of a Danish billionaire who is at the San. A Polizei officer arrives then to tell them that they have captured the ringleaders and it is all over.
The next day, final preparations for the Sale are made, and Tom’s dolls’ house arrives: a country inn with all the trimmings, and the competition is to guess its name. Madge also arrives for the Sale and is pressed into opening it, as Lady Carew, the original Opener, has had to cancel due to a sprained ankle.
The Sale is held, and Tom’s inn, which raised one thousand and five francs, is revealed to be named St George and the Dragon, and is won by Matey, who donates it to the school museum. Mary-Lou and Vi Lucy come up with the idea of fixing collecting boxes onto Bruno’s harness to add to the takings, and he raises seven hundred and ten francs. Karen also sells two of Minette’s kittens for twenty five francs each.
The next day the weather breaks with a massive thunderstorm, and soon the Platz is knee-deep in flood water. News comes from the San that Reg, who had been called out to attend an accident case in a nearby village, is missing, and his empty car is found near the stone bridge over the flooded brook. Len hears the news from one of the maids and is horrified, but the Head flatly refuses to tell her anything further and sends her off to attend to her duties.
Reg is eventually found by some of the men led by Jem, having slipped in the brook and struck his back on a boulder. He is taken to Freudesheim, and Len demands to see him as soon as he is allowed visitors. When she does, she confirms that she has made her mind up and they become engaged, although she intends to get her degree first.
The term ends with the usual clearing up of the school, although there is some doubt over whether either the railway or the coach road will be useable. The prefects assemble in Hall for a final talk, and Len reminds them that no matter what, they are Chalet School.

So, thoughts on the final book? There’s been discussion before about whether EBD wrote it all or whether her friend Phyllis Matthewman had a hand in it to a greater or lesser extent, what do you think? What do you think of Jocelyn’s motorboat campaign? What about the big deluge at the Auberge, and the flood at the end of term? Thoughts on the various mishaps around the Sale? What about the Sale itself?

‘Messy’ was my overall impression of this one, interspersed with ‘bonkers’ and ‘what happened to that plotline?’ at intervals. EBD spends about five chapters going on about Jocelyn’s obsession with those bloody motorboats, only for the Regatta to be cancelled anyway by a mysterious illness that just vanishes into thin air! :roll: As for Mary-Lou’s casual ‘yeah, it’s either a crowd of rowdy undergraduates or an armed gang of kidnappers’, I actually burst out laughing when I read it, it was so absurd. And then we don’t even find out which it is afterwards anyway! And what happened to the girls who captured the burglar at the end of Althea having to give evidence in court for that matter?

The midnighting thing was a bore and Jocelyn is such a pest, and that whole bit about Jack Lambert deciding her gut feeling about burglars merits gathering a posse of girls together instead of going to Matey like anyone with sense would have done is just head-scratching. And again, it’s all for nothing as all hell breaks loose before they can actually do anything! :roll:

I’m pretty sure the last two or three chapters, at least, weren’t written by EBD. I think she might have got as far as the Sale before giving it up. Miss Annersley is totally out of character during the flood at the end and I’m pretty certain EBD never wrote that. I reckon she gave PM a brief of what she wanted to round the book off and let it go at that.

Anyway, I hope you’ve enjoyed these threads, I’ve certainly found some of the discussions fascinating and I’m glad Special Sixth has been a bit more active, as its graveyard feel was part of the reason I volunteered to do this. I admit it started becoming a bit of a grind towards the end because I don’t care much for the later Swiss books which get increasingly sillier, but that’s the first time I’ve done a full series readthrough and it’s pretty interesting to see the trends across the books, for example how Jack Lambert seems all set to be a series heroine, only to suddenly take a back seat in the last half a dozen or so books (not that I’m sorry about it). I shan’t know what to do with my Monday evenings now!

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Books: Prefects of the Chalet School
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 02:46 
Declaring it to have been the best term

Aquabird, congratulations on reaching the end! You have been brilliant churning this out every single week. Well done!

My fear now is that all comment on the books on this forum will come to an end. As you have said, this is what prompted you to go through the series book by book. I suppose it is up to us all to see this does not happen.

Turning to the book, I could not care less about the motor boat or few of the incidents concerning the younger girls. None of them interested me in the slightest.

Even though she might have been there under bizarre circumstances, I am glad that Mary Lou was around at the end of the series. And Vi. And that Madge and Jem made appearances.

I doubt very much whether EBD wrote all of this book. There are one or two incidents which made me think she did not and Hilda is out of character.

Len should never, ever have been allowed to get engaged to Reg at this stage. Why did Jo and Jack allow this? So different from the treatment of Nan in the La Rochelle books or Alison in Elizabeth of the Garret Theatre. A lot probably did happen off-stage but Len should have been given the chance to go to Oxford free.

Maybe the engagement would not have taken place at that stage if the series was going to go on but I am none too sure about this. Of course Len would have gone on to marry Reg in EBD's world and I am inclined to think she would have married him in any world and that she would have led the way once she and Reg were married.

I think Reg would have wanted to marry one of the triplets regardless of what they had been like to be part of the Maynard world.

I didn't come into this until near the end of the Austrian books and although I read every book for weeks I stopped doing this about the time of Joey & Co. Although I like some of the Austrian books and some of the Swiss my main interest is in the Howells/Island part of the series.

Well done to EBD for keeping us riveted, and to Aquabird.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 06:32 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

There are definitely aspects of the romance with Reg in this that I don't think EBD wrote. One is the way we see Reg's internal dialog - we are occasionally *told* what the men think about their chosen woman, but never a first person statement like that. Another is the way that Mary-Lou, Vi, Con, etc. are talking about it, in a "Reg knows what he wants and is going to get it" way that's so totally not CS-like. A third is the way Miss Annersley talks about it being about time that Len grow up and make up her mind. She's 17 (18), has grown up in a sheltered, boy free environment, is still a student, and is planning to go to university - I can't see the single Miss Annersley pushing a quick engagement! And Joey's comment about not "playing fast and loose" with Reg.

The whole Len-Reg thing squicks me out in general, in a way that the other relationships in the series don't. The age difference, the way Reg picks her out when she's in her mid-teens, then stakes his claim with her parents before she has any idea of what's going on. The way her parents gossip with other people about the situation. Reg's determination to get a ring on her finger before any competition appears. The fact that Len literally has no experience interacting with young men her own age.

And Len's personality, too - she's a high performing young woman who always does what she's expected and is used to getting tons of approval from adults. She's also been raised by parents who were keen on keeping their daughters young, socially. This all puts her at a serious disadvantage when it comes to pushing back on something that Reg and the adults in her life want her to do, or even being able to stop and think about what *she* wants.

Compare that to Joey and Jack, who had a similar age difference. Joey's a forceful young woman who is used to pushing back at what she's expected to do, and has lots of experience getting into trouble. She's active in the local community, and has socialized with a variety of young men (sisters of schoolmates, young doctors). Her seniors may have some idea that Jack's interested, but stand back. Jack himself waits until Joey is ready to recognize her feelings for him, and during that period she leaves school, substitute teaches for a term, writes a couple of successful children's books, and spends a season visiting family in India (where there would be lots of available young men).

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 08:42 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Aquabird, thank you so much for all your hard work on this :D .

There's definite a finale feeling about this one. Madge and Jem finally get to make another appearance, hooray!! Mary-Lou is also back (again). It actually really amuses me that Jem, the first doctor-SLOC in CS-land, gets to be the hero who rescues Reg ... although Reg doesn't look at all heroic, being rescued by Len's middle-aged uncle instead of doing any rescuing himself :lol: :lol: .

I thoroughly dislike what we're told about the "romance". All the stuff about Reg "getting what he wants" is quite creepy. We're also told that all he can do is stop anyone else from taking his place, which sounds as if he went around threatening to beat up any other man who so much as glanced in Len's direction. And the "fast and loose" comment is horrendous. The rest of the book's fairly forgettable, although I do for once feel sorry for Jack when she gets the blame for someone else breaking the lock on the toilet door whilst she was inside!

One thing that does interest me is that Mary-Lou, who would have been about 22 and therefore more of marriageable age than Len, is left to fly free. When she turned up in Reunion, very distressed after her mother's death and talking about how alone she felt, it would have been obvious for her to be rescued by a doctor - maybe Rix or David could have just happened to be visiting. But her future's left unscripted. I quite like that!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 09:04 
Being told to stand on your own two feet
Being told to stand on your own two feet

Just a quick thank you to Aquabird, not commented much but I have enjoyed reading all these posts so thank you for all your hard work. :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 12:10 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

Thank you Aquabird for all your hard work - have enjoyed reading the summaries and the subsequent discussions.

Fellow CBB-ers I suggest we propose Aquabird to receive the Margot Venables Prize for outstanding helpfulness and service to the CS. I am sure the vote will be unanimous (!).

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 12:26 
Invested as Form Prefect
Invested as Form Prefect

Great idea! Add my vote.

As for what can you do with your Monday evenings. Aquabird, maybe another instalment of your Petersverse?

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 12:29 
Fifth Form!
Fifth Form!

Thank you, Aquabird for all your hard work on this - I may not have commented much, but I've greatly enjoyed reading everyone's views on the various books and characters.

I agree with Alison that there is a definite air of finality about this one, an attempt to tie up all the loose ends; if I remember rightly, it was still in draft when EBD died, and Phyllis Matthewman finished it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 12:36 
Lamenting the amount of work

Coming on to thank Aquabird for all her hard work in leading these discussions - I'm sure there must have been times when you didn't want to, but you've stuck at it [wo]manfully!

There are several options going forward, if we want to keep this forum 'live' - one of which is to discuss the La Rochelle series, and then the Chudleigh Hold lot - but it needs someone else to lead them. Any volunteers? I don't feel we should ask any more of Aquabird if someone else could find a bit of time either once a week, once a fortnight, or even once a month to get us going.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 13:17 

Thank you everyone, especially for the Margot Venables nomination! :D And yes, the Petersverse was a bit of a victim to this project, I will endeavour to get back onto that now I have a little more time. I'd like to see discussions on the non-CS books, but I only own about four of them, and no La Rochelles, so I'll have to take a back seat on that, I'm afraid.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 13:37 

I could do summaries for the La Rochelle books, Chudleigh Hold, Monica Turns Up Trumps, and the Lost Staircase. There'd be a gap of a couple weeks in May when I'm on vacation without my laptop, though.

And yes, thanks to Aquabird for all the hard work!

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 14:33 

jennifer wrote:
I could do summaries for the La Rochelle books, Chudleigh Hold, Monica Turns Up Trumps, and the Lost Staircase. There'd be a gap of a couple weeks in May when I'm on vacation without my laptop, though.

And yes, thanks to Aquabird for all the hard work!

That would be lovely Jennifer!

Why don't we have a couple of weeks general discussion of the whole CS series [I'll start a thread for that next week], and you start the La Rochelle summaries in mid-April - say Mon 16th - and perhaps start with doing them once every 2 weeks, rather than weekly, so your May break wouldn't be so evident, and to give you less of a commitment?

*with mod hat on, and apologies for lack of time to lead discussions in this forum myself...

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 16:18 
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep

Thank you so much, Aquabird, for keeping this going. I've enjoyed the discussions so much.
As for this book - I've never read it. I shan't search out a copy now!

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 16:48 

This has been a tour de force Aquabird - thank you so much for doing it and remaining on course right to the end.

I haven't commented much mainly because I seem to disagree fiercely with many of the prevailing views on some of the main characters but I have enjoyed being reminded of each of the books.

I think moving on to the non-CS series is a brilliant idea and look forward to it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 17:20 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Thank you, Aquabird, for your dedication and perseverance. I've really enjoyed reading your summaries and the conversations they sparked.

There are couples who do well when they marry/commit young, but Len deserves more than Reg. She's filled the role everyone assigned to her as the responsible one, and now should be her time to be independent and discover who she is, not who everyone wants her to be. Her engagement is such a contrast with EBD's previous attitude of "Boys can wait" and "Jo did it, but that's different." Is EBD dividing Jo's adulthood among the triplets the way she did her personality? Len will be the mother, Con the writer and Margot the rescuer, but only Jo can be all three.

I like Mary-Lou, but I do find irritating the way she keeps popping up randomly post-graduation. I know she got away with things her peers wouldn't, but it's a bit much to think law enforcement would bring her along on the way to suppress possible organized gang activity. Have her show up for the Sale with Vi, that's good enough.

The motorboat storyline fizzles in a disappointing way. The idea of Jack Lambert, little Miss Act-First-Think-Later-Can't-See-Anyone's-POV-but-My-Own, being able to intuit a disturbance in the Force is completely unrealistic. Jocelyn, Erica and Althea seem like an unlikely trio. Jocelyn is a bright yet thorough mischiefmaker, Erica is a good-tempered calamity and I can't remember anything in particular about Althea, but there's no chemistry among them.

Just about the only thing I like about this book is that it's a natural point for the series to end, with our first heroine's daughters ready to launch into the excitement and trials of adulthood. I enjoy the fill-ins that explore the Chalet School universe beyond this book, but had EBD lived, I think she could have stopped here to give the series a nice rounding-off.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 20:18 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

I join the unanimous vote for Aquabird! I don't believe I have ever read the series through like this before. It is interesting to do so and I think some incidents appear less strange/yukky (Reg)/unexpected than they seem on their own. I had forgotten how early Len first talks about him and is explained as understanding her future. I do feel sad when I read Prefects, though, a combination of knowing the end has arrived and the disjointed feel of the last two books, which read like a tick list of Chalet scenarios. I also feel EBD didn't write it all herself; the episode when the troops arrive on the Platz feels wrong, even if they did bring the cavalry in the shape of Mary-Lou. I also cannot believe Miss Annersley saying what she did; she always seemed so positive and believed the best of everyone. We also get boring detail about the Sale preparations, but no sign of lessons or daily life. The incident with Jack and the bathroom door is quite amusing - Jocelyn hiding the shank under her bed is so life-like for a silly girl.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 20:34 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Three cheers for aquabird!

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 20:54 
Asked to help with the play
Asked to help with the play

I read this at about the age of 10 - when it was first published - and I didn't find it as poor as many people seem to.

Reg, I feel, gets a bad press because we only see him when EBD was deteriorating. As a 10-year-old, I saw 18-year-old Len as perfectly old enough to get engaged. Many 18-years-old girls did at that date, and getting engaged before going to university wasn't uncommon. I didn't see Reg as creepy or odd (although I thought his name was awful!).

Joey's comment about not messing someone about, I read as her warning Len NOT to get engaged unless she was absolutely sure. I still see it in that way with the added knowledge that Len was someone who. having made a promise, would stick to it through thick and thin. She wouldn't play fast-and-loose on a promise, Joey knew it and was concerned.
I feel that people sometimes think that book-parents should have exercised their legal rights in a way that would have been impractical in RL. The Maynards could have attempted to stop Len getting married (and that would have been difficult enough) but it's hard to see how you could stop her getting engaged if she chooses to.

It's been commented elsewhere that EBD seemed to see the Swiss CS as the same size as the Tyrol CS: and her attitudes often hadn't modernised. That failure of thinking is seen in the impractical attempt to mirror the Joey/Jack romance - it doesn't work in the very different situation.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 21:23 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Thanks again to Aquabird! I have rarely commented (if ever!) but always read and greatly appreciated all the time and effort you put in! Glad we are continuing non-CS books and I look forward to following those discussions too. :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 21:45 

Delighted this is going forward with the non CS books.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 00:40