Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 17:24

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Re: Books: Prefects of the Chalet School
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2018, 01:04 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

The other issue is that Len is about to head off to Oxford for three years. In my experience, that first year or two being away from home at university tends to be a time of intense personal growth - you're in totally new environment, exposed to new people, away from your home and people who know you. It's a good time to figure out what parts of you are really you, and what parts were a part of your environment.

With high-school hometown sweethearts, sometimes the growth is in the same direction, but often it's not, and the relationship falls apart. I've even seen this happen to people in their 30s! Reg has gone through this process. Len has not, and her home environment was one that put a lot of expectations on her.

If Len and Reg were a good match, then waiting until after university to be formally engaged wouldn't make a huge difference. Len could get her degree, decide that Reg and life on the Platz was what she wanted, and they could have a short engagement and then marry. But Reg is determined to get a formal commitment before she ventures off the Platz, which in modern relationship terminology is a giant waving red flag.

As an aside - when I headed off to university, email was in its infancy, cell phones weren't a thing, and long distance calls were expensive. So university really was a fresh slate where you could reinvent yourself. I wonder how much email/Facebook/smart phones and the like have changed that, when your teenage identity follows you there, and you can remain in constant contact with the folks back home.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2018, 13:03 

Quote:
The other issue is that Len is about to head off to Oxford for three years. In my experience, that first year or two being away from home at university tends to be a time of intense personal growth - you're in totally new environment, exposed to new people, away from your home and people who know you. It's a good time to figure out what parts of you are really you, and what parts were a part of your environment.

I think Len will have more of that to do than most, if she's open to it. Most people begin to get a bit of space from home and parents when they go to secondary school and choose their own friends, plan their own social lives, do things their parents don't know about.

For the triplets, since they've been on the Platz, school has really just been an extension of home, with Freudesheim being next door, Joey popping in at all hours and many of the mistresses being her close friends.

Len (and Con and Margot) have had the worst of all worlds, really; no freedom to go off with their friends at weekends as they would at day school, and none of the extra distance from your family that boarding school gives.

And Len really hasn't grown or developed much during her schooldays. Whereas Jo, Mary Lou, and others, all matured as they passed through the school, Len has pretty much always been the same.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2018, 05:23 
Receiving support from the form
Receiving support from the form

AilidhNoor wrote:
I think EBD got a lot more conservative with age, and this is reflected in the freedoms the girls have. ...
In the Platz years, they never leave the school unchaperoned. They have no links to the local community, no engagement with the world around them. They watch no films, hear no news, meet no other young people. There are no Guides, no trips to the shops, no free afternoons like in Carnbach. It's a closed world.

Yes, even the older St Mildred's girls are not allowed to go to Interlaken on their own and they are 18-19 years old. EBD makes a point of saying that when they are at the train station it was OK to let them wander freely to explore the station stores. But they are nonetheless still being chaperoned.

At the same time we have Miss Annersley when she is lecturing the 17-18yo prefects, that girls their age have babies to look after which she expects they will in a few years. But these are the same girls who are not allowed to walk around on their own.

Audrey25 wrote:
I do know someone who married a man more or less straight from school. He was about 8/10 years older.

One of my best childhood friends married at 16 to a man she had known since she was 9, and is 12 years older than her.

To make it even creepier the man is her mum's cousin and lived with them when she was growing up. I am not suggesting anything untoward happened before the wedding, but still ...

She basically never had a chance to meet another man or go out with anyone else. She had two kids before the age of 20 and now both kids are at uni and out in the world. And she has no life and no education to fall back on.

I like him but he keeps her very sheltered and protected in a way which is totally unnecessary. And it's very obvious that he moulded her from an early age to the wife he wanted.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2018, 09:03 
Declaring it to have been the best term
Declaring it to have been the best term

That does sound creepy, Joyce.

The girl that I knew walked out on her husband after 10/12 years. She had been at least an equal partner. A number of years later he married a woman then about 24 which was around 20 years younger than he was. She bossed him to hell and gave him a dog's life. Eventually when he had retired she walked out on him. He had always said he could never go through a second divorce and, in the most tragic of circumstances, he didn't.

This is the other side of the coin and in all of the cases I know where a younger woman has married an older man she has often done it for the.money and she has invariably been the leading partner. Maybe different from Len and Reg.

Turning to Joey and Jack, does he not say somewhere that although he had no romantic feeling for the 14/15 year old Joey when he first met her, that he had known she was the girl he would marry and was prepared to wait until she grew up.

This is maybe creepier than Len and Reg but EBD was a better writer back then and we also see Joey and Jack getting to know each other over the years until they are two equal adults.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2018, 19:10 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Joey says all this in Reunion. I think both Len and Reg would have been mortified if she'd known that she was discussing them, especially as she goes into detail about Reg's financial position, with Grizel and Mollie, but, OK, that's how EBD lets us know. She says that Len's very young, that she's not had much life experience, that she doesn't know many other young men, etc etc. Then, in Prefects, as everything's being rushed to its conclusion, she's the one telling poor Len not to mess Reg about.

Maybe it was EBD's need to tie up all the loose ends, but, also, I think Reg was desperate to get a ring on Len's finger before she went off to university. Even if she hadn't found any other boyfriends there, she'd have been meeting new people, and might well have decided not to move back to the Platz. It was hardly the most appealing of places for a young person, and she'd said herself that she didn't want to come straight back at the Chalet School. It probably felt like now or never for him. And he seems to've been far more concerned about his own feelings than what was best for Len.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 20:26 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

Another vote of thanks for Aquabird, I've been enjoying these threads and catching up with them. I've never read any of the La Rochelle books, so I'd be interested to see threads on them - are they hard to come by?

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 21:07 
Lamenting the amount of work
Lamenting the amount of work

They were all reprinted by Girls Gone By a while ago - I don't know how easily obtainable they are now, but there will therefore be some full-text paperbacks around ...

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 22:46 
Invested as Form Prefect
Invested as Form Prefect

They have been reprinting the reprints, have done all but last two.Only one in print is Seven Scamps, but there will be copies of others available from dealers

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 17:24