Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 14:24

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Chalet School Short Stories
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 02:30 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

EBD published a number of Chalet school short stories over the years; they are collected in a single volume published by GGBP. There are three stories set in Tyrol, five in England, and one in the Swiss years.

Joey's Convict

Joey and Robin are staying with Miss Maynard and her family. Joey overhears gossip about an escaped convict, and when a visitor arrives at the house at night, she lures him into the pantry and locks him in. He turns out to be Miss Maynard's fiance (who has a different name every time he is mentioned in the series).

Joey Shoves Her Oar In

Joey is absent-minded at boating practice, embarrassing Miss Wilson who is trying to demonstrate her students' prowess to Jack Maynard. Later, the older girls go for a walk by the lake, and find a young girl up on the rocks, defying her nursemaid. She jumps into the lake, and Joey rows over to save her, demonstrating her true boating skill.

Woollen Measles

A shy and homesick new girl, Dorothea Buck, joins the Chalet school. She is forced to wear woolen underthings by the Bad Matron, and develops a measles-like rash. It turns out that she is allergic to wool, but was too shy to speak up.

The Triumvirate Go Skiing

Daisy, Beth and Gwensi are bored and restless. The school gets a good snowfall, and they talk about skiing with their friends. They plot to make homemade skiis in the woodshed. Their attempts at skiing go surprisingly well, but they get in a great deal of trouble after.

A New Flavouring for Pies

Fiona McDonald is mad at Floppy Williams because of her rudeness to the juniors, and Flora plots revenge. Fiona tells a story about their ancestors, and a prank involving spoiling the cooking of a disliked visitor. Flora, therefore, dumps cod liver oil capsules in Floppy's casserole during cooking lessons. However, the dish is served to the staff table, and Flora has to publicly confess.

Smells of Soot

Robin and Daisy are left at home for the day while the others are out. They make Welsh cakes for tea but almost let the morning room fire go out. In restarting the fire they trigger a chimney fire, and the fire department comes. Joey and Co return for the aftermath.

The Midnight that Didn't Come Off

Betsy, Blossom and others plan a midnight feast with a smuggled package of treats. However, they discover a burglar stealing from the students' cubicles, causing a great uproar. Matey later discovers the cakes, and the miscreants get in trouble.

Beth's Diary

An info-dump travel diary of a school tour to Exeter.

Joey Goes on Television

Joey is interviewed on TV.

-----

So, what do you think of the short stories in general? Do you have a a favourite? Least favourite?

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Chalet School Short Stories
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 21:23 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

I think I have only read one of these - Joey Goes on Television - which was in one of the original CS club newsletters. Joey is with Mary-Lou and I seem to remember it was quite a good story.

At the time Reunion was published - maybe around 1963 ? -EBD was interviewed on one of the popular news programmes of the time which maybe gave her the idea for the Joey programne.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 21:33 
Attending a prees' meeting
Attending a prees' meeting

I'm not a huge fan of these, but I seem to remember that they're mostly from the Chalet Books for Girls, which is fair enough. My favourite is probably 'The Triumvirate Go Skiing', and my least favourite 'Joey's Convict' because the different names for the man (maybe that should be men!) in Mollie Maynard's life irritate me...

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 21:36 
Going for a walk
Going for a walk

I like Joey's convict, nice to see Maynard family's home life. Joey shoves her oar in is another good one

There's another in Chalet book for girls where these two come from with a slight connection - Rescue of Woolly Bear, where Joey and Robin make an appearance though story isn't about them

Another god one is Thiumvirate went skating. Daist Gwensi and Beth are a nice trio,

Beth's diary and Joey goes on TV aren't favourites of mine, not sure if I've ever re-read them, pretty sure not Beth's diary whjich I probably skipped through when I did read it.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 14:24