Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 28 May 2020, 21:27

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Maynard Boys
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019, 23:40 
Dashing off for your part in the play

I wish we had heard a little bit more about Joey and Jack interacting with their sons when the boys were at school in England.

I know the series was about the CS but EBD brings the Maynards into the books so frequently and therefore their sons but it is as if out of holidays they do not exist.

Jack must have gone to England for meetings of the San board etc and to see Jem when he is there. We know Joey must have gone to see her publishers but never any word of them seeing the boys.

In Summer Term Joey chooses to visit in the Easter hols for business reasons, but surely it would have made more sense for her to go before or after and mention also made of her visiting the boys' school(s)? Surely the plot could have been worked round that?

She must have went to just about every event in Chalet School history (except where extreme pregnancy and childbirth stopped her) but not even a tiny mention is made of either Joey or Jack being at a single thing to do with their sons.

Joey does not even stay at the Tirol to be with Charles when he was hospitalised after his appendix operation. She goes back to Switzerland with the rest. Yet she and the twins and Rosli could easily have stayed on. There must have been accommodation at the Sonnalpe.

I am sure the Maynards could have got a school maid to help at Freudesheim, and Anna could have packed for Stephen and Michael going back to school and overseen the triplets.

Or am I being unreasonable?!

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Maynard Boys
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019, 07:10 
Being told to stand on your own two feet
Being told to stand on your own two feet

I have often wondered why the boys were there since ,as Audrey says, they were largely ignored.I think in Richenda when Joey is going for that operation Jack says afterwards they are going for a holiday and visit some aunts, the boys were not included in their plans seemingly.
I confess, on a side note, Jack saying Joey needed a rest from her family always annoyed me, since most were at school, or looked after by Anna/Rosalie or Len and co in the school holidays.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019, 09:23 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

But then it would be a tad unbelievable to have had no boys at all in the Maynard family, though I would guess that what they got up to was not of that much interest to EMBD in her writing (if she has a soft spot for any of them, it's surely Charles). For the most part, the books focus on the female experience of life, and were aimed at girls; Elinor's own life also seems to have been fairly female-centric, growing up in a largely female family through her father's leaving her mother, and the death of her adored brother and only other sibling. I know that Jack says to Mary-Lou in Problem that everyone wants the girls to have boys among their friends, but that's part of the 'we don't want you having improper friendships like Joan's with Vic Coles' argument.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019, 15:49 
Receiving support from the form

I remember reading a few drabbles set at the boys school and loving them - the boys got excited when the triplets came to see them at school for sports day because Joey and Jack didn't come because it clashed it the chalet school sale

And I think it was made fairly obvious that their parents didn't tend to visit them at school, they don't even take them to school

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019, 19:17 
Going to investigate
Going to investigate

claire wrote:
I remember reading a few drabbles set at the boys school and loving them - the boys got excited when the triplets came to see them at school for sports day because Joey and Jack didn't come because it clashed it the chalet school sale

And I think it was made fairly obvious that their parents didn't tend to visit them at school, they don't even take them to school

I think these might be the two drabbles you are thinking of, Claire, they are by Eilidh, and in the SDL. Here's hoping the links still work:

http://sallydennylibrary.co.uk/viewstory.php?sid=76

http://sallydennylibrary.co.uk/viewstory.php?sid=175

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019, 19:21 
Trying to be helpful
Trying to be helpful

claire wrote:

There was a very good series of drabbles by Eilidh about the boys at school on the SDL. Most recent is sadly unfinished. She moved onto LGM

http://www.annersley.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=227

Don't know if that link will work. If it doesn't, look for story Stepping out of the shadows LGM Seniors' fiction Last post was Dec 2015 and she hasn't logged onto LGM since. Not sure that she ever reads here either. I think her life is very busy with young family.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019, 20:06 
Going to investigate
Going to investigate

I just found a link to another story by Eilidh, in the Index Drabbleorum - it's about Steve's first couple of terms at Prep School, contemporary with The Chalet School and Barbara. Hope the link works.

board/archive/files/StTFarfromhome291109.htm

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019, 22:41 

Yes they were them

Not sure if they are also in the drabble index if you want to read them with all our comments going through

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019, 23:04 
Trying to be helpful
Trying to be helpful

Elder in Ontario wrote:
I just found a link to another story by Eilidh, in the Index Drabbleorum - it's about Steve's first couple of terms at Prep School, contemporary with The Chalet School and Barbara. Hope the link works.

Thanks for link, don't think I'd read that one before

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019, 23:06 
Going to investigate
Going to investigate

These are the links to the stories in the Index Drabbleorum - You Can't choose your family is in 2 parts, hence the 3 links. Hope they work.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8185

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8544

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8958

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019, 23:07 
Going to investigate
Going to investigate

ivohenry wrote:
Elder in Ontario wrote:

Thanks for link, don't think I'd read that one before

I don't think I had, either.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2019, 22:24 

Drabbles are great but anybody got anything else on how they thought EBD treated the boys?

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2019, 01:25 

I think they simply didn't interest her all that much much beyond being part of the family - and apart from David and to some extent Rix, the Russell and Bettany boys don't seem to fare any better. As others have said, Steve, Charles and Mike are very like female versions of Len, Con and Margot; Felix and Geoff seem to me to be there for the purpose of being twin to Felicity and Philippa respectively and not much more.

I also suspect that the boys were not supposed to be of that much interest to the girls who were the majority of her readers, but perhaps her own adored brother having died young, the brotherly relationship was one that she didn't wish to contemplate in depth.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2019, 02:37 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

Noreen wrote:
But then it would be a tad unbelievable to have had no boys at all in the Maynard family.

I wouldn't have found it too unbelievable as had cousins where there were 10 girls and 1 boy and the boy was the second youngest in one family. I think having mainly one sex or the other IME is fairly common. I actually found the more even split in the Maynards more unusual until fairly recently when I met someone with 12 kids in her family and it was a 5 to 7 split which is much more even than all the others I have come across

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2019, 08:35 

What did I say though? "No boys at all", not "a majority of girls" (which I agree is quite likely). I'm well aware from childhood history that it's common for families to have a preponderance of girls or boys - and my paternal grandparents complied with that (seven girls and three boys).

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2019, 15:11 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

I find that the boys were there mostly as background. As others have said, Steve, Charles and Mike were faint echoes of the triplets (responsible, quiet and incorrigible), and the younger ones don't get much attention. As a girls' school series, it's the girls that are the important ones. It's similar with the other clan families - we get a bit of Rix and David as small children, but the other Bettany/Russell boys are very much off screen.

I do find the split in family life between the boys and girls in the Maynard family interesting. All the kids go to boarding school, but the girls go to one literally next door. They see their mother regularly and she's actively and intensely involved in their school. They can go home for birthday parties, recovering after illness and meeting new babies. The boys get shipped off to boarding school abroad at age seven, don't have parental visits at school, never go home for half term, and on at least one occasion are sent away for part of the holidays because their mother is poorly. Steve never lives in Switzerland - he visits on the holidays, some of which are spent in England and later the Tyrol. Eventually you'd end up with a family where some of the kids had been raised in Switzerland and rarely visited England, and others who had been raised in England and spent little time in Switzerland.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2019, 17:54 
Trying to be helpful
Trying to be helpful

Not so drastic as different countries, or boarding school, but among my family and friends at school in the '50s and '60s, nearly all the boys went to fee-paying private or minor public schools, and all the girls went to State schools. It was considered more important to educate the boys than the girls even then, though it was changing.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2019, 18:37 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

EBD never does that storyline in the CS books, but she does in the Lorna books - Lorna's older sisters go to what's considered a good school, but Lorna is sent to Wynyards, which is considered second division, because her brother has died and her parents are paying for her nephew's school fees. It seems all wrong now, but, at the time, a girl would have been expected to marry and be supported by a husband, whereas a boy would have been expected to support himself and a future wife and children, so, if you had to choose who went to the "best" schools, the boys won. And, in Monica Turns Up Trumps, Monica goes to a day school but her brother Barney goes to a boarding school. I doubt Dick Bettany went to Taverton Grammar or whatever the boys' equivalent of Taverton High was!

The Maynards' situation is extreme, though - they live next door to the girls' school and are involved with it on pretty much a daily basis, whereas we never hear of them visiting the boys' school even for events which most other parents would have attended.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2019, 09:05 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

I wonder how many times parents did visit their children at boarding school in the 40s and 50s?

Perhaps Dick / Mollie and Jem / Madge did that visiting for the Maynard boys, in the same way Joey and Jack did for the Russell and Bettany girls?

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2019, 11:15 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Caroline wrote:
I wonder how many times parents did visit their children at boarding school in the 40s and 50s?

Perhaps Dick / Mollie and Jem / Madge did that visiting for the Maynard boys, in the same way Joey and Jack did for the Russell and Bettany girls?

Boarding school from 1953-59, three visits a term, which included half term which might or might not have been one where we were allowed to go home, no visits in the first three weeks. Collected after Saturday school at 12.30, back in the boarding house half an hour before bedtime, collected after church on Sunday (parents could attend the service) and back in the house by 5pm.

The hotels we could be taken to for meals were strictly controlled, since we could not go to the same ones as the two boys' schools in the town nor could we visit shops in the same streets...

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 28 May 2020, 21:27