Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 31 Mar 2020, 09:56

Forum rules

Please ensure that all posts are kept impersonal. Any posts involving an ad hominem attack will be edited or deleted. Please feel free to express your views, but expect that others may disagree with them. Please limit the use of the :oops: smiley as far as possible. Please do not PM another user to argue with them; if this happens, please can the recipient contact a mod. Language of gentlemen, chaps!

Post subject: Joey's Birthday
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 12:37 
Going to tea at Freudesheim

Newbie here and the first thing I've done is got lost! I was sure there was a list here of the characters' birthdays, but can't find it. I was particularly going to ask what the source is for the date given fro Joey's DoB (November, 2018, if I remember correctly).

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Miles

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Joey's Birthday
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 12:49 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Hello and welcome, Miles. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a list of birthdays. I think Joey's birthday being in November is mentioned in Exile. It varies - in some editions she's about to turn 21, making her DOB November 1918, and in others she's about to turn 22, making her DOB November 1917! I think it's 22, so 1917, in the original.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 13:03 

Alison H wrote:
Hello and welcome, Miles. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a list of birthdays. I think Joey's birthday being in November is mentioned in Exile. It varies - in some editions she's about to turn 21, making her DOB November 1918, and in others she's about to turn 22, making her DOB November 1917! I think it's 22, so 1917, in the original.

Thank you, Alison H. Can I just ask, though, what you mean when you say "in some editions" - are you saying that Joey's age varies in different editions of Exile (Collins v Armada), or something else. sorry for my pedantry. and I'm sure I've read a birthday list somewhere - perhaps another board.

Regards,

Miles

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 15:50 

I think it's different in the Armada, but I'm not 100% sure - will try to remember to check when I'm at home!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 16:10 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

I think you need the thread in Joey's trunk viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1624 that lists birthdays month by month.

Doesn't have years, though, as there is a discrepancy anyway - not only with Joey's age, but the age of the School.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 21:59 

It's definitely Exile - found it now! When Joey meets Janie Lucy, in August 1939, she tells her that she'll be 22 in November. That's in my GGBP copy, which is the same as the hardback. However, in my Collins paperback, Joey tells Janie that she'll be 21 in November! The scene is identical otherwise.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 22:07 
Taking your duties seriously
Taking your duties seriously

Alison H wrote:
It's definitely Exile - found it now! When Joey meets Janie Lucy, in August 1939, she tells her that she'll be 22 in November. That's in my GGBP copy, which is the same as the hardback. However, in my Collins paperback, Joey tells Janie that she'll be 21 in November! The scene is identical otherwise.

Post further down thread does have years but as EBD isn't consistent it's not that useful!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 22:40 

Thank you one and all. I am obliged for such diligent sifting of contradictory evidence.

Regards

Miles

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019, 03:00 
Playing the competitions
Playing the competitions

Joey's birthday is pretty reliably Nov 27, whatever year it is, so you've got that. Poor Josette has her birthday in August, September, October, November and December at various points.

Attaching absolute dates to the series is very difficult - the events at the beginning of the war allow us to fix a few dates, but there are conflicting statements about the age of the school, age of major characters, the lengths of gaps in the story (like between Rosalie and Three Go), etc.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019, 12:20 
Battling with Matey
Battling with Matey

Somewhere or other I think it's mentioned that Joey was 21 when the triplets were born. If their birthday is the beginning of November (varies between 3rd and 5th with, I think 5th accepted as the date) and Joey's is the end of November then she was indeed 21 when they were born but as we used to say "rising 22".

I think part of the confusion may be because of this.

"Association does not infer causality"

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019, 12:47 
Attending a prees' meeting

Though I think that gets shifted slightly to rising 21 at some point later on...

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019, 19:06 

I can't think why Collins/Armada did that .. unless they were just trying to make Joey seem younger and therefore more schoolgirlish, which would be a bit odd as she was 7 1/2 months pregnant with triplets at the time! And one year would hardly make that much difference. The ages are all messed up anyway - Cornelia was 17 at this point, and there's no way she was 5 years younger than Jo to start with.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019, 19:15 
Playing the competitions
Playing the competitions

Trying to track the ages of the characters relative to each other is highly entertaining. There's one newsletter where someone questions this, and EBD says something along the lines of there not being a problem if you realize that there are gaps in time between some of the books. :D

I particularly like the poor Prudence Dawbarn, who starts out the same age and form as Mary Lou, and ends up five full forms and four years behind her.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2019, 09:31 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

If I’m remembering correctly, Exile was one of the very first CS books published as a paperback, and the suggestion was that EBD edited those first paperbacks herself, and therefore she deliberately changed Jo’s age.

I wonder if she adjusted the age because she realised at that point that a book about Jo’s trip to India was never likely to be published and therefore she didn’t need the extra year between New and Exile?

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2019, 16:53 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

In "Wins The Trick", the Chambers has Margot saying "Mother never had a chance to be grown-up because we three came along before she was twenty-two" The passage is cut from the Armada.

From a date pov, "Wins The Trick" was published in 1961 and the first Armada "Exile" in 1967.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2019, 17:38 

Thanks everyone. I do understand that there's no consistent answer to this question - I'm enjoying poking round in the possibilities. As I say, I'm new. I read my first CS book over Easter weekend (an Armada of Exile) and have subsequently started buying other Austrian-era books in GGB editions.

So, if you'll forgive a newbie another basic question as I orient myself in a world of way too many names: who is the first German pupil at the school?

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2019, 22:50 

Miles wrote:
So, if you'll forgive a newbie another basic question as I orient myself in a world of way too many names: who is the first German pupil at the school?
That's a good question, and a hard one to answer! I think I'm right in saying there are none in the first book. There are girls like Eva von Heiling (first appears in Head Girl), Marta von Eisingau (in Rivals) or Linda Sonnenschein (in Exploits) who might be German but equally might be Austrian or Swiss - or even a mixture of two, like Thekla von Stift (though she would surely count herself as German).

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2019, 22:53 
Playing the competitions
Playing the competitions

The first student we see who is explicitly described as German is Leischen Hoffman, in Rivals of the CS. Before that there are lots of German speaking students, but they are all Austrian citizens.

Have fun with the books!

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2019, 22:55 

I think I'd go for Eva, purely because we're told later that the von Heilings are friendly with the von Stifts, but, as Jennifer said, the first person whom we're actually told is German is Lieschen - who apparently comes from a North German seaside resort and looks it. How you look as if you come from a North German seaside resort is another matter :lol: .

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2019, 00:55 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

I have the Armada copy of Exile and also the hardback. In the hardback Joey's age is given as nearly 21 when she sets off for the picnic with Jack. Over a year later she tells Janie she will be 22 in the November which fits.

However, in the Armada I don't think an age is given for Jo at the time of the picnic and the next year she tells Janie she will be 21 in the November. I did read it was EBD who wanted the change.

After Exile I always thought Joey's age was given as nearly 21 when she has the triplets. Certainly in Highland Twins she is to be 24 when the triplets are three.

I thought EBD changed the age to make Joey a younger bride and mother. I also thought Joey even at the beginning of Exile seemed more mature than the Joey of New Chalet School.

Also if EBD had changed Joey's age backwards but not the other ages it explains a little why Sybil was about two years older in Jo to the Rescue than she should have been. If she was born when Jo was 17 she should only have been 7 as Jo was 24. Much the same with the ages of the Bettany girls in Peggy.

BUT at the start of Exile Robin has lost her father the.previous year. In New CS she lost him that January which does suggest there is only a term or two between the two books.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Special Sixth
It is currently 31 Mar 2020, 09:56