Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 23:40

Post subject: What if Barbara hadn't joined the Gang?
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 17:53 
Being told to stand on your own two feet

A thread in Special Sixth got me thinking: What if Barbara had failed her trial to join the Gang? Would she and Vi have become so close? Would Barbara have been friendly with her, but close friends with other non-Gang members?

What if Vi and Babs became close outside of school, like during holidays together -- could Vi have petitioned for a retrial? What if Barbara had told Beth or Julie or Nancy that even though she and Vi got on so well together outside school, Vi kept her distance at school and she didn't understand why? Would one of the Old Girls interfered?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: What if Barbara hadn't joined the Gang?
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 18:29 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

If Barbara was not one of the gang I doubt if she and Vi would have been so friendly. I doubt if anyone else would have interfered.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 18:44 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

I can't possibly imagine that Vi's cousin and well-on-the-way-to-being "best friend" would have been ostracised.

ML and Vi were the moving spirits of the gang, the strongest characters and both were decent upstanding good sport school girls, it doesn't seem feasible that Vi's pal would have been excluded when ML's pal (Verity) was included.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 21:05 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Ros Lilley becomes close friends with Len and Ted, and, by extension, with some of the others in their form, yet always remains friendly with her old pal Joan, who isn't really close to any of the others. It's not the same thing because there's no Gang as such, but she manages it very well. I think she partners Joan on walks sometimes, rather than hanging around with the bigger group of which she's part, and they stay in touch after Joan leaves school, but we never see Joan with Len and Ted.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 17:09 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

This is the second time I've seen a mention of a trial to join the Gang.

Maybe it was cut out of the Armada pb, or maybe I just never took much notice of it, but I don't remember seeing anything about it before. What kind of trial was it?

I'm imagining something like the initioation rites that people do to join sororities in the uS! I'm sure it can't have been that bad though.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 18:37 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

Wasn't it more probation than a trial?

:lol: at Hazing at the Chalet School. There's a drabble idea.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 19:09 
Saying you only know three German words

Did the gang not accept her because she was Vi's cousin? I know that she said she understood that if they hadn't accepted her for herself the fact that she was Vi's cousin would have cut no ice, but the very fact that Vi was friendly with her would have signalled to the gang that she was alright. Not to mention she was Beth's sister and the gang and others thought that Beth was one of the best head girls they'd had.
I haven't explained that very well but surely it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation? Plus of course Barbara was desperate to be a 'real chalet girl'

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 21:07 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

Yes I thought it was more of a probationary period to see if she would fit in.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 11:01 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

miss_maeve wrote:
This is the second time I've seen a mention of a trial to join the Gang.
I'm imagining something like the initioation rites that people do to join sororities in the uS! I'm sure it can't have been that bad though.

It's more that ML decides who gets to join, and it's a feeling of "you are one of us' then an official initiation rite.

With Barbara, ML casually mentions in passing that she was now a member of the Gang but in Kenya, Jo appears to pass some kind of unspoken test and is officially told she is part of the gang.

I guess if Barbara was not accepted, then it would mean she had somehow not met the Gang's standards and been left to make friends with other girls. But I would hope Vi would somehow have managed to stay friends with Barbara and be a Gang member at the same time.

Can anyone name all the Gang members? There are 12 of them by the end of Kenya.

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 11:25 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

There's ML, Vi, Hilary, Verity, Barbara, Lesley Malcolm and Josette. Doris Hill is still at Carnbach. Lesley Bethune is also new in Kenya. Are Christine and Catriona counted or just friendly with them? I can't think of any more.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 12:54 

They're all listed in Barbara, but I haven't got my copy with me :lol: . Christine and Catriona are included, although they never seem to feature much, and were apparently part of a trio with Gwen Parry who goes to Carnbach.

Mary-Lou, Vi, Verity, Hilary, Lesley Malcolm, Barbara, Christine, Catriona, Josette, Jo ... that's ten, plus Lesley Bethune later on (I think?), and Doris who goes to Carnbach. Clare and Ghislaine are friendly with them but not part of the actual Gang. Maeve Bettany's age gets muddled: it seems odd that a Bettany shouldn't be part of the in-crowd :lol:, but she doesn't seem to be in their form.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 13:35 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

The gang was only this massive size the first year and term in Switzerland. After the book "Mary Lou" they begin to split. They are listed in one of the last four Island books and at that time there were seven. I am fairly certain there were ML, Verity, Vi, Doris, Lesley (later there were two Lesleys but it may only have been one at this stage. I am not sure who the other two were. Hilary was later.

EBD got totally carried away and it was unfortunate ML's approval had to be given in such a formal way but, in a less formal way, this kind of thing is a part of real life and in a very much nastier way. For all its faults the gang was not spiteful or unkind.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 02:35 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Joyce wrote:
Can anyone name all the Gang members? There are 12 of them by the end of Kenya.

Yes, I am responding to my own message :roll:

This question actually kept me awake last night which just shows how sad my life has become. Mind you, I was also binge watching Sherlock.

I went through Barbara and Kenya and looked at the times where we are specifically told the Gang went off as one group and looked at who is listed as being there.

We are told there are 10 in Barbara, then Barbara and Jo Scott join making 12. But they lost Doris Hill and Josette also leaves and returns.

So the core Gang members are: ML, Vi, Verity, Ruth Barnes, Hillary Bennett, Maeve Bettany, Lesley Bethune, Lesley Malcolm, Christine Vincent, Catriona Watson.

Josette (leaves and returns in Changes)
Doris Hill (leaves and returns in Coming of Age)
Jo Scott (joins in Kenya)
Barbata Chester (joins in Barbara)

But because the gang is so darn massive we hardly hear from the lesser members like Ruth and I'm convinced EBD confused the Lesleys more than once.

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 08:04 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

And I'm never convinced about Maeve...

Poor Ruth, she doesn't seem to have a natural partner in the gang - most of the others have a "pair".

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 23:45 

I wonder why the girls who are friendly with the Gang failed to become part of it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 08:51 
Despairing over Geometry
Despairing over Geometry

mynameisdumbnuts wrote:
I wonder why the girls who are friendly with the Gang failed to become part of it.
That inexplicable thing, 'personal chemistry', perhaps, or even willingness to be part of a particular group.

As an example, in my (very friendly) form at grammar school the only real friendship group for the first two years, as far as I could see, consisted of two boys and a girl who were the best linguists and were usually among the prize-winners. And they were innovators/ leaders, but not the only ones, and what really drew them together was not the languages (a general emphasis in the school anyway) but a shared sense of humour over particular things. When the forms were re-sorted in the third year they added another girl, but I think that was it. Other people, including me, were friends with individual members, but didn't belong to that group, and apparently didn't want to belong. I can only speak for myself, but I preferred to move with a wider mix of ages and interests, and didn't find the same things funny.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 10:57 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Our forms were very much split down the middle with friendship groups, with half belonging in one group and the other half belonging in the other. This meant both groups were usually around 10-12 people. There were a couple of friendships of two or three people, however they usually were friendly with one of the groups over the other. People were usually friendly with people of the other group, and I don't think anyone saw it as being anything other than people being friendly with those they had things in common.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 03:50 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

I guess it also depends on how dominant the leader gang is and how much they have their own way.

The Gang in CS clearly gets their own way a lot and even the teachers defer to them.

My primary school had a dominant group which the teacher let arrange all the out of school things including where we went for the end of year excursion and even where the final year 7 dance was held! It was utter madness the amount of control they were given.

If you disagreed with them, you simply didn't attend. My mother refused to pay for the expensive theme park excursion (coach ride, entry fee, lunch merchandise etc) , so I stayed home that day. :D

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 23:40