Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 12:03

Post subject: Which Year Would You Choose?
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2017, 19:57 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

I was musing about the CS in general this morning and fell to pondering which year group I would have wanted to be in if I'd been a CS girl. I mean the overall package; not just which girls I'd be in form with, but also the school era. Given the choice, I think I'd have liked to be in Bride's year group. They join the school just at the beginning of the Armishire era, and I love the feel of the Plas Howell books: the school's big, but not so huge that the vast majority of the girls come across as mere extras, both Madge and Jo are involved so you get the best of both, Guides are a big thing still, Plas Howell itself sounds gorgeous, and while I'm not wild about the Island books, at least I'd get to spend my last couple of years learning swimming and boating. Plus, although I probably wouldn't be outgoing and confident enough to be part of Bride's gang, they always seem very friendly and inclusive to non-gang formmates like Anne Webster and Audrey Simpson, and they wouldn't put up with anyone hassling me. The only real downside, of course, would be the war and, especially afterwards, the rationing.

So which year would you have liked to join the CS, given the choice? Taking into consideration not just your classmates, but school location, structure, staffing, outside influences, etc. at that point in the series.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Which Year Would You Choose?
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2017, 20:00 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I'd like to have been in Tyrol, so I'll say the Quintette's year, when they were all together.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2017, 16:06 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

Definitely Tyrol, but later. Gillian Linton’s era, just after Jo left. The setting is still magical and there’s not too much looking back or looking forward,just enjoying School.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2017, 20:08 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

Definitely the early Tyrol years. Maybe when the school had been going around 18 months. There would still be the family feel that I think would be a nice atmosphere to be at school in.

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 16:13 
Arguing from cause to effect
Arguing from cause to effect

I'll be in Bride/Tom's group post-war, please. I'd love to be at school on the Island.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 17:20 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

I think I'd like to be there in the Plas Howell years, with Gay, Gillian and Jacynth, hope I could cope with Miss Bubb - as we have future knowledge I know it wouldn't be for long, so think it would be OK. I do like the "feel" of that period, look forward to meeting you there too, Aquabird! Although the war years were difficult, there is a real community spirit running through those books, as I think there was in wartime, and some involvement with people in the village, as well as Madge and Joey living close by. Alhough we still have Joey later, it's the last location with Madge, except very occasionally, and the last where the school is part of a local community.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 21:20 
Asked to help with the play
Asked to help with the play

My favourite books are set in Plas Howell and at the island. I would have liked to have been in the year groups of either Gay & Co, Peggy and her set or Bride and friends.

Regarding Gay, Gill and Jacynth, their personalities complemented each other, the school had a more family feeling the earlier the books were set, there was a strong, interesting teaching staff, Madge was still around and Joey was still at an age when she could almost be on an equal footing with the older girls but with greater maturity and knowledge of life.

Most of the foregoing could also be applied to the earlier years of the other two year groups, but Peggy and Bride and their friends were basically nice girls with a few real personalities and not too much dramatics.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 03:04 
Being told to stand on your own two feet
Being told to stand on your own two feet

Tirol. I'd be a younger student who looks up to Jo. And ends up coming back to reunions and whatnot. But totally forgettable. :wink:

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 13:24 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

I would like the early Tyrol days too, before they went trilingual! Also I like the freedom to wander about by the lake and in the pinewoods. The poor girls at the Platz seem to be always in the garden.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 20:23 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

I dither between the Tyrol and being at the school alongside Tom....

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2017, 11:19 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

I'd like to have been in Armishire during the early war years so either with Daisy, Beth and co. or with Biddy and her year.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 12:03