Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 12 Dec 2019, 16:47

Post subject: Re: Top sports players at the Chalet School
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2019, 20:55 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

I find things like the motor boat plot and the criminal gang in Redheads more jarring than the space flight plot, even though the latter is a lot less realistic. The space flight thing is mostly in the background and adult driven - EBD isn't expounding on propulsion theory or having the kids build rockets, while she does go on at great length about the criminal gang. Plus, I'm really, really used to people getting astronomy and spaceflight stuff wrong, in both real life and fiction, and even in science fiction shows where they should be consulting with experts. Even now, most people don't appreciate just how complicated and difficult space missions are.

Personally, I skip over almost all detailed sports descriptions in books. I was terrible at sports at school, and find reading descriptions of sports matches even more boring than watching them. So EBDs lack of attention to it in most of the series is fine with me. I think sports got more attention in the latter UK books because of lack of other topics. Austria and Switzerland had mountain rambles and picnics, blizzards, floods, thunderstorms, avalanches, exciting half-term expeditions, snowball fights, sledding, skiing, skating and other adventures, and the early UK books had war plots, but Three Go to Changes are more standard school stories.

I doubt Katherine would have gone on for professional tennis. She's talented, but doesn't really seem interested in the career, and the CS wasn't the school for aspiring professional athletes. They were set up to handle talented musicians, but didn't have the resources needed to train a tennis star. It's interesting, though, that the school produces so many aspiring PT mistresses, given their relative lack of focus on sports.

As an aside, did anyone else read the Danny Dunn books as a kids? They were a 50s to 70s series of science adventures which did include kids doing spaceflight, and a fantastic early computer programming story.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Top sports players at the Chalet School
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2019, 05:28 
Discovering that JMB lives next door
Discovering that JMB lives next door

jennifer wrote:
I think sports got more attention in the latter UK books because of lack of other topics. Austria and Switzerland had mountain rambles and picnics, blizzards, floods, thunderstorms, avalanches, exciting half-term expeditions, snowball fights, sledding, skiing, skating and other adventures, and the early UK books had war plots, but Three Go to Changes are more standard school stories.

The UK books were also around the time that EBD was actually running a school (1938-1948), and so she would have had more exposure to games than when she was a daily governess (1933-1938).

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 12 Dec 2019, 16:47