Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 29 May 2020, 15:04

Post subject: Scrapbooks
PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 19:09 
Arguing from cause to effect

In Adrienne, Joey invites the younger girls to make scrapbooks for a hospital in a poor part of Carinthia, and supplies magazines, calico and varnish, presumably to act as some kind of laminate, and offers prizes for the best/funniest/most aesthetically pleasing. I also remember scrapbooks coming up a few times in Hobbies Club, like when Emerence makes one, and Kitty Anderson goes one better in Feud and makes a scrap screen. I used to keep a scrapbook where I stuck stickers of my favourite bands, old fanzines, cut out articles etc. and I know in America, loads of people do family scrapbooks, but I think the kind they do in the CS is a bit different and seems to involve cutting out random photos and sticking them in scrapbooks for people to read/look at. Wikipedia has an entry here - is this the kind of thing CS girls would have done?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Scrapbooks
PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 19:34 
Trying to be helpful
Trying to be helpful

My grandmother had a scrap book like that, she was born 1875 so well before EBD's time. Aswell as cut outs from magazines it had commercially produced scraps of angels and cherubs etc.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 20:53 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

They do seem very old-fashioned for CS times, by which time people would be able to buy professionally printed books. OK if you were making one for yourself, but I'm not sure who bought them at Sales :roll: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 20:59 

It does seem a bit Victorian. Did people in hospitals regularly have scrapbooks to look at back then?

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 21:19 
Playing the competitions
Playing the competitions

Scrapbooks with pictures, made on stiffened paper and varnished are comparatively robust, can be safely handled by children and require neither the ability to read nor the presence of adults - and can be cleaned.

The ones in Adrienne were destined for a "poor" hospital that was likely to have significant lack in provision of all manner of things. It was unlikely that they were well-served in terms of children's toys and books and may well have been short of staff as well. If you want a comparision think of the dreadful pictures shown of children in orphanages in Romania in 1989. In those circumstances, anything that could be used to amuse children would have been a good thing.

Certainly by the time of Adrienne it's becoming hard to think who might be buying such things at the Sale (but, frankly, that's true of a lot of the stuff that must have been produced) but earlier in the series books would not have been as readily available particularly picture books for children during and immediately after the war years. There's even mention in one of the books as to the difficulty of obtaining fiction for the School itself which leads to the donation of "old" books including ALOE's "The Crown of Success". In those kind of circumstances a scrapbook would have been an obvious gift for younger children.

(As an aside, think of the mention of Diana Barry using mail-order catalogues to entertain her children in one of the later Anne books...)

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 21:49 
Fifth Form!
Fifth Form!

Victoria wrote:
(As an aside, think of the mention of Diana Barry using mail-order catalogues to entertain her children in one of the later Anne books...)

And in the twenty-first century, too. My grandson, when he was about 2, loved the Screwfix catalogue - it had pictures of strimmers, lawn-mowers, hammers, screwdrivers, saws, and all sorts of other exciting things (and it was a good job I could read the descriptions even if he couldn't, so at least I knew what we were talking about)!

And didn't Janet and Allan Ahlberg produce The Baby's Catalogue because they had a child who was fascinated by the Mothercare catalogue?

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 22:40 

So they were a bit like picture books?

I was obsessed with the Laura Ashley catalogues as a little kid and I even had my favourite patterns, including a dark red and sage pattern called Albert which I was obsessed with. Looking back, it was probably one of the first signs of me being autistic. I could name loads of patterns as well.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 May 2020, 22:02 
Being taken down a peg or two

There is a description of the making of scrapbooks in Peggy I think when Polly Winterton is looking for a landscape to copy and sees Julie Lucy (?) making a scrapbook. EBD describes at length the process which involves stretching fabric, covering with size, sticking on pictures and then varnishing and making a cover. Laborious and expensive when I am sure that ready-made blank scrapbooks could be bought cheaply. But it could be that home-made is best in the CS.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 12:41 
Being told to stand on your own two feet

Mel wrote:
There is a description of the making of scrapbooks in Peggy I think when Polly Winterton is looking for a landscape to copy and sees Julie Lucy (?) making a scrapbook. EBD describes at length the process which involves stretching fabric, covering with size, sticking on pictures and then varnishing and making a cover. Laborious and expensive when I am sure that ready-made blank scrapbooks could be bought cheaply. But it could be that home-made is best in the CS.

I assume that being laborious could be seen as a feature, not a bug, when it was a question of keeping the girls quietly occupied?

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 14:58 

That's true about keeping them busy, but in the days when each form had a designated stall, Tom Gay's form always had the Toy Stall and worked liked slaves all year. The girls who got the Sweet or Cakes stalls had little to do except in the last week or so.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 15:08 

Yes, I feel sorry for everyone in Tom's form!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 17:53 
Playing the competitions
Playing the competitions

We know that things have to go to the appropriate stall regardless of whence it came

I can't imagine it would have been considered to be "the done thing" for the sweets-and-cakes people to have sat around doing nothing for the sale except for the last couple of weeks. In any case, if your "thing" was embroidery or painting-on-china you would still have been doing that in Hobbies Club whether or not you had the needlework or china stall. There must have been a fair amount of cross-seeding of stalls - especially as forms could not have known much in advance which stall they would have. In most cases, the actual division of stalls and what stalls there will be seem to be decided at the meeting that decides the theme of the Sale.

There's not even any real reason why Tom's form should always have toys. The doll's house was invariably the subject of a competition so could have formed part of a competitions stall or been seen as completely separate from a particular stall.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 May 2020, 22:51 

Lottie wrote:
And didn't Janet and Allan Ahlberg produce The Baby's Catalogue because they had a child who was fascinated by the Mothercare catalogue?

They did indeed - we had a copy. My daughter loved the Mothercare catalogue at that sort of age.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 19:00 

Tbf Tom's dolls' houses, villages etc. were always a huge money-raiser for the sales so I can see why her form got given toys all the time. She usually had a team helping her out, one of the Ozanne twins and a couple of others.

I'd have loved to do sweets and cakes. I'm rubbish at arts and crafts, but I love cooking and baking. I always wonder what girls who weren't good at any kind of art or handiwork would have done in Hobbies Club.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 20:40 

That would have been me :lol: . I am worse than useless at any sort of arts and crafts, and you couldn't have given away anything I made, much less charged for it. There must have been some CS girls like that!

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 21:18 
Playing the competitions
Playing the competitions

Presumably several years of needlework meant that even the worst sewer could have been hemming material for use as cleaning cloths...and there's always making raffia mats...

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 May 2020, 08:50 

Didn't one fair have a second-hand book stall? Another sold stamps to collectors. Even the competitions stall wouldn't have required any hand-made items (except prizes, and they could have had the perpetual prize of the Stuffer and Maria's silver tea/coffee set, which would have been re-donated for successive fairs).

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 May 2020, 01:39 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

They seem to mix up the organization from sale to sale, but the usual stalls seem to be

- needlework/plain sewing
- toys
- other handcrafts
- sweets, baking, preserves and pickles
- used books
- refreshments
- lucky dip/wishing well

plus various competitions and draws. In Prefects they have a china stall, and in Summer Term a silver stall, both stocked with donations.

The sewing, toys and handcrafts come mostly from the Hobbies club. Matey produces a good portion of the preserves, and the sweets and baking seem to be done at least in part by the students in the run up to the Sale. Used books and things like china are from donations, as are the prizes for the contests and draws, and the lucky dip.

I'm not sure the donations part would work very well in a boarding school. The girls have limited personal items on hand to donate, and having parents internationally mail second hand goods for a fundraiser is not at all efficient or economical. I was involved in a fair bit of fundraising for band in high school, and for a fundraiser to be effective, you need to be pulling in most of the money from people outside the families of the fundraisers. Otherwise it makes more sense just to donate money.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 May 2020, 19:22 

They're kind of limited that way. Mistresses and girls always somehow manage to find some old toot they don't want. Actually, Jennifer's post kind of reminds me of an absolutely dreadful story I found via Something Awful about a university anime club, and they were trying to raise money to go to a convention by...selling chocolate bars. I used to be in loads of university societies and trust me, we would not have sold chocolate bars to raise money. Club nights and the like were more of a fundraiser. The odd group did do a bake sale though. It was always nice to buy a cupcake or whatever from a stall between lectures.

Did Hobbies Club become mandatory? Everyone seems to be in it in Switzerland, if not before.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 May 2020, 19:48 
Playing the competitions
Playing the competitions

After one school jumble sale where we raised more from selling the remnants to a dealer than we made from the sale itself, I suggested that, in future, we should just collect the (mainly) clothing, go straight to the dealer and forget the hassle of a jumble sale.

The suggestion went down like a lead ballon...

And I agree about donations making more sense that sending nick-nacks across the world as they seem to do. I have wondered in the past of the "point" of people spending several hours of time to make comparatively small amounts when doing the same number of hours as overtime and donating the nett earnings would have been considerably more lucrative.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 29 May 2020, 15:04