Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 23 Sep 2020, 01:29

Post subject: Favourite fantasy "missing books"
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2019, 01:21 
Dashing off for your part in the play

Branching off from the Robin thread, Miles talked about fantasy 'missing books' - ie, the books you mentally imagine having been written in the Chalet series but not published. What are your favourite ideas?

I have a couple. One is the missing tale of Joey in Canada, spurred on by how her characterization changes and freezes at about the move to Switzerland. I picture Joey heading to Canada, and finding herself, for the first time since the age of twelve, outside of the Chalet school/San bubble, and consequently a very normal, unremarkable person. She's in a big city, and doesn't have the social status that goes with being the owner of a big house in the village and wife of a doctor. Jem and Madge are the important San guests, no-one has heard of the Chalet School and they change the subject or run away when Joey talks about it, Joey Bettany's books aren't particularly well known. Instead of devoted servants and a deferential lower class, the local working class are independent and not particularly impressed with rank (and hired servants keep quitting without notice when they find out just what is expected of them). She's kind of isolated with the birth of the twins - she doesn't have a big social network to visit her when she's in the latter stages of pregnancy, or tied to the house after their birth. So when she comes back Europe, she doubles down on the School and San environment, where she's comfortable and important, and old friends from the same environment.

Another one is Robin's journey from leaving school to becoming a nun in Canada. We don't see much of her after she leaves school, but she goes to Oxford (and is on her own for the first time), tries settlement work, has Jem veto both her planned career and marriage/children, travels to Canada with the Maynards and decides to join a teaching order, on a different continent than her family. That's got to be an interesting personal journey.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Favourite fantasy "missing books"
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2019, 06:49 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I'd like one about Margot Venables - we know next to nothing about the Russells' background, and I think the story of her elopement and her difficult time in Australia would be fascinating, although probably too adult to class as a CS book.

I'd also like one covering Marilyn Evans being Head Girl. There've been a few fill-ins covering the Armishire/St Briavel's years, but that one's been avoided so far - I think it's been suggested that GGBP aren't keen on a book which would have to make it clear that the CS authorities made a mistake. I find that a bit frustrating. In the early years, Madge freely admits that she was taken in by the Carricks and that she shouldn't have employed Matron Web without interviewing her first. We all make mistakes :lol: . I think the school authorities had to accept that times had changed and exams and university entrance were now important - and, by saying that no-one from Special Sixth could become HG again, they showed that they'd done that.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2019, 21:46 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

I’d really like another La Rochelle book, to find out what happened to Heather, her sisters, and Pollie Ozanne. Maybe various of their children actually are at the CS along with all the other La Rochelle kids, but they just don’t like to talk about it? If only we knew!

Gay’s chinese adventures, too, please. It would help me get all of relations straight in my head :D

And, of course, Judy, Jose, Ailie and Janice as leaders of the school along the lines of Bride’s gang. Maybe after the school has left the platz for a new location, due to, erm, avalanches...

Last edited by Caroline on 25 Sep 2019, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2019, 07:02 
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne

What comes to mind is, it would be nice if there was a book about Grizel in New Zealand (though someone wrote a drabble about it).

And not sure if I've posted exactly the same thought on here before; There is a short story about Glendower House in one of the GGB books.

But seems like it could be tough to write a full novel about it because there is almost no information to speak of about the place in the CS books?

I have written a drabble which talks about Glendower a bit, but only from an indirect, far more modern day angle.

And, what would have happened to Gertrude, the German spy on Guernsey after she disappears from the series. Alixe von Elsen in Brazil as well, that seems kind of odd?

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2019, 11:02 

I would also love to find out what happened to Pauline Ozanne. I picture her as an eccentric playwright living in London.

Another interesting side book - Chalet Girls at War - which follows the stories of what the adult Chalet girls did during the war. We know a bunch of girls were in the WRNS, that Evadne was engaged and her fiance killed, Bernhilda and her family emigrated to the US, Bette lost her money and moved to Canada as a "housekeeper", Margia got stranded in Australia and did nursing, Louise ended up with her family in Canada, Sophie's mother died and she took over the care of her father and brothers, Luigia was killed in a concentration camp, Carla lost her husband and baby, Elisaveta and family escaped from Belsornia, Giovanna Rincini was in the Women's Labour Corps, Thekla vanished, Suzanne died of illness. It would be a difficult book to write well, but could be really fascinating.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2019, 13:59 
Being taken down a peg or two
Being taken down a peg or two

I would like to see a book parallel with Redheads.' Poor Ros Lilley is short-changed in that book as her term as HG is barely mentioned. I would like to see her joy in being appointed, letters from her proud mother, prefects' meetings and her dealings with troublesome Middles. Also her inner her misery when she decides to leave due to...? Father ill? Maybe also Joey anxious that Len would be made HG and subtly persuading the triplets/Hilda that an extra year's sixth would be beneficial - which in the end is hardly necessary.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2019, 11:43 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

I would like to read about Margot’s trip to Australia where she stays with Emerence and catches up with the Russells. :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2019, 16:02 

The only books I want are the two that EBD clearly "wrote" (even if one was only written in her head) that is : "Two Chalet Girls in India" and "Gay In China". I want these because they are referenced in the main series and it's maddening!

It might have been nice to see a book set at Glendower House in the same way that "CS in the Oberland" parallels the CS term proper but I think it would have had to have been at the same time as "Barbara" as this is the point where we still "know" characters at the school (Miss Edwards, for instance)

Although EBD integrated characters from her other books into the CS, I'm not sure how well she would have managed going in the other direction. "The Lost Staircase", for instance, is a nice book and Jesanne and Lois "charming" people but the "feel" of the book isn't very much like the CS (Perhaps it is an EDB for EJO fans...). Whereas Jesanne and Lois can be brought into the CS books, had they firstly been CS characters and then appeared in The Lost Staircase, it would have been a very strange move. For this reason, I don't really want books about CS girls outside the CS. EBD wrote the CS books well and many of her other books aren't as good.

A version of "Reunion" centreing on the OG coming back for the Silver Jubilee celebrations might work well.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2020, 21:31 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

I've enjoyed reading people's ideas. Here's one of mine. Not just a missing book, a missing story arc. I imagine it like this (I've had to delete a chapter from a proper existing book to make it work, but bear with...)

It's the Swiss era. So, we start with a traditional book, we'll call it TWO FIONAS AT THE CHALET SCHOOL. Two new girls start: Andrea Fiona Pryde and Roberta Fiona Holmes. They have the same middle name but are a study in opposites. Roberta is hopelessly underprepared in the usual way (ie: poor parenting) and gets into all sorts of scrapes. If we're lucky, Dr. Jem will turn up and discourse on instant obedience and its relationship to a young woman's physical health. Andrea is the opposite: her mother apparently had an idyllic time at a school in the Italian tyrol and, knowing the ropes, has prepared her daughter well. Andrea is academically excellent and in all her behaviours a credit to the school. At the book's conclusion, Roberta does something drastic and Andrea has to rescue her. Andrea's characters is established as The Girl Whose Mother Prepared Her Based On Her Prior Experience.

Over the course of the next few books we see Andrea made prefect and, finally, head-girl. A number of staff - Kathie Ferrers for one - even meet Mrs Pryde in Innsbruck and report back on an elegant blonde with a real commitment to girls' education. She does not, however, visit the school until...

PRYDE OF THE CHALET SCHOOL (symbolic title or what*). Andrea's final term and her mother comes to the end-of-term sale/play. 'Joey, don't you recognize me?' Because, yes, that blonde hair was dyed; yes, the middle-name Fiona was a clue; yes, all the staff who met were Swiss-era appointments; and, yes, the bit I've had to delete is the final chapter of Highland Twins. Mrs. Pryde is not The Woman Who Had A Great Time At School in the Tyrol. She's Betty Wynne-Davies, The Chalet Girl Who Screwed It Up Badly And Can Only Complete Her Redemption Through Her Daughter's success.

I love a happy ending, but you've got to earn 'em.

*what, probably!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 23 Sep 2020, 01:29