Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 27 May 2017, 01:26

Post subject: What if the CS had been set up elsewhere in Austria?
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 21:51 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

If EBD had gone on holiday somewhere else in Austria instead, then the school would presumably have been located elsewhere. It could just have been elsewhere in Tirol, or even Vorarlberg. In that case, I guess a visit to the Tiernsee might have featured at some point, and the Austrian books may have been fairly similar overall. I would also imagine EBD would have chosen to go somewhere else with high mountains and a lake, because it´s a very interesting kind of destination obviously. But not all of Austria is even mountainnous at all, so that might not neccessarily have been the case. Also I don´t know anything about how culture, religious traditions and so on differ between Austrian regions, but should imagine they do, as in most countries. Of course with a more distant location, it could also have taken them considerably longer to get there and back to Britain by train (doesn´t it mention a 12 hour Innsbruck-Vienna sleeper journey somewhere?).

The darker issue though is how they would have escaped in 1938.
It might have been really quite easy to get to Switzerland from a more westerly/southerly part of Tirol/Vorarlberg. Or I guess the Italian border is extremely close at some points there, it seems quite unlikely that a cross-border hunt would have been initiated by the Nazis, though in OTL they are scared of it even in Guernsey? And what kind of serious incident might have happened elsewhere anyway?

There are numerous attractive lakes and mountains in Carinthia, so that´s a conceivable alternative (with Klagenfurt instead as the local urban centre?). But their trek to Switzerland was diificult enough, and if something similarly nasty had occured, it would surely have been virtually impossible to get there from somewhere much further east, so I suppose they might have risked Italy instead. Obviously in that scenario, there would have been no Tiernsee, no visits to Salzburg and so on. All the Austrian books would have been significantly different. Thoughts?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: What if the CS had been set up elsewhere in Austria?
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 23:48 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

This just randomly occured to me, it would be interesting to hear from anyone who has visited Austria outside of the Tiernsee/Tyrol? I've never been to the country though my mother has, so don't know what it´s actually like.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2017, 00:11 
Reserving an embroidered picture
Reserving an embroidered picture

It's an interesting idea, though I know nothing about Austria really. Would the feel of the school have been different if it was in Austria but perhaps in a suburb of a town or city? I would think it would be, as there would be a lot more intereaction with others involved, and a lot less things like walks and people finding them a novelty. There would have been more competition too, and there could have been a competing school perhaps sooner in the series. It would be more like existing stories though, so I'm glad it was where it was !

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2017, 00:34 
Receiving support from the form
Receiving support from the form

I stayed at Zell am Zee which is quite near Salzburg years ago. We went on quite a number of excursions, both local and more distant like Vienna. Salzburg and especially Vienna were gorgeous. To me, it was all lovely and all Austria.

I think EBD hit the jackpot when she picked Austria as the location for the series.

First of all we had the novelty of a fairytale setting in a foreign country at a time when the ordinary person did not travel abroad. When that was beginning to wane Austria was then occupied by Germany and we then had "Exile" which defined the series.

EBD then moved the school to England. It was probably easier for her to include Joey in the series when Joeywas living nearer the school. During the war readers also probably preferred the school to be back in Britain.

When EBD had had enough of this the school moved to Switzerland - another glamorous location - for the second part of its career. Okay the Swiss books were more stereotyped and lacked the fairytale quality of Austria but EBD still got a near 30 books in that location.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2017, 08:59 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

The Salzkammergut is lovely, and has lakes and mountains as well as having Salzburg :D, but Tyrol was the place to go for British tourists visiting Austria in the Edwardian and inter-war periods. If EBD hadn't gone to Pertisau, she'd almost certainly have gone to one of the other Tyrolean resorts ... and presumably a lakeside resort, because I don't get the impression that she was one for climbing the Alps :D .

Vienna is amazing, but capital cities are always expensive and I don't think it's somewhere that a person on a limited budget would have visited for more than a couple of days.

If the school hadn't been in a lake/mountains area, the link-up with the San would presumably never have happened ... maybe Jem would have been a diplomat, or a businessman.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2017, 11:31 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

If you head out of Vienna and down towards Bratislava, Austria gets very flat indeed! But in general it's a mountainous country. I suppose EDB could have gone for a setting around Graz though that isn't as pretty as Tyrol. If you want to get an idea of what Austria was like at the time try reading A Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh-Fermor who raped across it in 1934

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2017, 12:16 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

exile wrote:
If you head out of Vienna and down towards Bratislava, Austria gets very flat indeed! But in general it's a mountainous country. I suppose EDB could have gone for a setting around Graz though that isn't as pretty as Tyrol. If you want to get an idea of what Austria was like at the time try reading A Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh-Fermor who raped across it in 1934

Exile - you might want to reread what you wrote :shock: :wink:

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2017, 12:55 

From Graz, the main means of escape would have been to Yugoslavia (as it was then), as it's close to the border with what's now Slovenia. I remember staying at a hotel there and being helpfully informed that the hotel laundry was sent to Slovenia because it was cheaper (in the days before Slovenia joined the euro and prices there rocketed) than having it done in Austria :D .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2017, 14:16 
Climbing with your knees bent
Climbing with your knees bent

Quote:
From Graz, the main means of escape would have been to Yugoslavia (as it was then), as it's close to the border with what's now Slovenia.

I suppose that would have put them nearer to Belsornia.

One of the things I like about the Tyrol era books is that the school is very much part of the local community. It would have been more difficult to create that kind of community feel in a town. The girls wouldn't have had the same freedom to wander about in a town.

School By The River is perhaps what the CS might have been if it was in a town. I do like it a lot, but the school is much more regimented.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 11:32 

cestina wrote:
exile wrote:

Exile - you might want to reread what you wrote :shock: :wink:

Oops . Bloody phone

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 27 May 2017, 01:26