Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 20:30

Post subject: Re: Most over the top storylines!
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017, 17:32 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

The New Chalet School ...it seems a very short time span for the girls from St Scholastikas to change uniforms? And the line about squeezing everyone in seems optimistic? And the chances of the Balbinis and Von Eschenaus being related?
I still willingly suspend my misbelief to enjoy the book!

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2017, 03:15 
Finding out about the Sale

NanaG wrote:
The New Chalet School ...it seems a very short time span for the girls from St Scholastikas to change uniforms? And the line about squeezing everyone in seems optimistic? And the chances of the Balbinis and Von Eschenaus being related?
I still willingly suspend my misbelief to enjoy the book!

Most of the school rearrangements seem to happen very fast.

The merge with St Scholasticas is news to the staff shortly before the start of term. The move from Guernsey to Armiford is done between terms, as is the move to St Briaval's. The merger with the Tanswick CS is again, a beginning of term shock to the CS students. The move to Switzerland has one term's warning, for everyone from landlords to staff to parents, with a significant cost increase. The merger with St Hilda's is also a start of term surprise.

I'm not too familiar with boarding school application processes, but I would guess that you'd have to apply more than a month in advance to get your kid in someone decent. So the Scholastica and Tanswick parents get told the school is closing too late to apply to other schools, and that their kids can transfer to a nearby school with a totally different education policy, a complete new outfit to purchase, and potentially different fees.

For the various moves and mergers - they must have had *amazing* contractors and movers, to be able to turn a large country home into a school plus dormitories (including things like science labs) in a period of a few weeks.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2017, 08:38 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

The move to Switzerland is an OTT storyline in itself. None of the girls are aware of it until they arrive back at school for the start of term, but surely their parents and guardians must have known. Was there no sort of canvassing of opinion beforehand? I know there was the option of Carnbach, but that only seems to have been intended for a small number of girls other than those below the age of 12, and girls might not have wanted to stay on if their friends and most of the staff weren't going to be there. Surely two intelligent people like Madge and Jem wouldn't just have assumed that the majority of parents would be OK with their daughters being hundreds of miles away in another country, not to mention the increased cost, without consulting them first?

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2017, 05:15 
Indulging in a midnight feast

Alison H wrote:
Surely two intelligent people like Madge and Jem wouldn't just have assumed that the majority of parents would be OK with their daughters being hundreds of miles away in another country, not to mention the increased cost, without consulting them first?

As well as a complete change of uniform!!

You would think sending round a circular letter to parents the term before even to gauge NUMBERS for dormitories etc would make sense.

What if everyone ends up staying in Carnbach? Yes it's supposed to be for the younger girls, but older girls end up there as well. It's only half way through the term before the actual move that they get proper numbers to cater for.

Can you imagine if all they end up with in Switzerland is the Trips and ML? :D

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2017, 14:48 

With the Inner Circle, the mood is very much "Finally, we're moving back to Europe where we belong!"

But basically all of the students have joined the school in Guernsey or the UK, and numerous mistresses have joined the school since then. There's no particular reason to believe that the parents would be at all interested in sending their children abroad for school, at considerable extra expense, even with reasonable notice. The San connection is also pretty weak at this point. And even for the ones that stay, discovering that your carefully chosen school is going to have a nearly 100% turnover in the staff teaching seniors between years is unlikely to go over well.

And yeah, the logistical issues. The new school is, I think, a former resort? Even if the basic setup of rooms is okay, they'd still need a thorough cleaning and refitting, buying school, dining room and dormitory furniture and linens, obtaining the artistic tableware and pretty cretonne curtains in different floral fabrics, setting up a gym, science lab, art room, music rooms, domestic economy rooms, preparing playing fields, deciding on new uniforms, hiring and preparing a completely new domestic staff, figuring out where to buy supplies and how to have them shipped to the Platz, planning Swiss style menus, finding visiting masters for various musical instruments. Plus they need to sort and pack everything at the old school, figure out what stays, what goes, what has to be replaced.

Add in that none of the CS staff is even going to see the new site until the school holidays, and that Madge (as head of the board) has been in Canada for two years and is re-establishing her home in England, so she's not in Switzerland organizing things.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2017, 14:56 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

JayB wrote:
Wasn't it originally the plan that she would leave school at sixteen, then it was decided she should have another year? I recall her saying something to that effect when she was appointed HG.

Possibly Madge didn't want a moody teenager with not enough to do hanging round Die Rosen when she had her hands full already, with the nursery, the house, and being Frau Doktor Russell.

I don't think it would have been good for Jo anyway, to be stuck up at the Sonnalpe with no companions her own age. And I'm not sure she would have been disciplined enough at that age to undertake a serious programme of reading without some direction and oversight.

Wasn't she supposed to go to be a lady's maid to Elisaveta? That idea is cast aside pretty quickly, with 'Madge needs her help' being the official reason. And apparently she stays on at school just to be head girl!

I think the Adrienne storyline is possibly the most ridiculous.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 01:02 

jennifer wrote:
And yeah, the logistical issues. The new school is, I think, a former resort?
Plus they need to sort and pack everything at the old school, figure out what stays, what goes, what has to be replaced.
Add in that none of the CS staff is even going to see the new site until the school holidays, and that Madge (as head of the board) has been in Canada for two years and is re-establishing her home in England, so she's not in Switzerland organizing things.

And how on earth are guests rooms of a hotel even vaguely large enough to be turned into dorms to sleep 10-12 people? Unless they were all massive suite sized they knocked down walls.

And while we do see the girls go through stuff like sports equipment and books to get ready, that's only a fraction of what would have needed to be done.

And yeah, there is noone on the spot to overseas renovations besides 'flying' visits during which apparently the builders are told what to do. They must have had an exceptionally good site manager!

And all the furnishings and equipment could only be moved over once the term is over. Unless they bought all the beds, desks etc from scratch and moved the old stuff over to Glendower house.

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 01:10 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

Joyce wrote:
And yeah, there is noone on the spot to overseas renovations besides 'flying' visits during which apparently the builders are told what to do. They must have had an exceptionally good site manager!

They are not far from St Mildred's so perhaps the staff there came to visit the site every day or two. They would know what is required.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 05:33 

KB wrote:
They are not far from St Mildred's so perhaps the staff there came to visit the site every day or two. They would know what is required.

Miss Wilson, building manager extraordinaire!

But I do realise I am being very nit picky and sorry about that. But I do love all these little details that EBD leaves out and we can all discuss to death knowing that we will never know for sure. :D

House renovations can be done from afar. One of my best friends in Hong Kong was redoing his place in Sydney via the occasional visit, a very good manager, email instructions and photos etc. But that was only one house and it still took three years to get done.

Cheers,
Joyce

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 10:10 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Joyce wrote:
... I do love all these little details that EBD leaves out and we can all discuss to death knowing that we will never know for sure. :D
That's because we're at least notional (sad) grown-ups - at least, that's how the original young readers would've probably have seen it (cue Bunkle's mother, in Bunkle Butts In "Now I think you'd better all go off to bed. I can see Aunt Georgie is simply panting to cross question me about rates and taxes and water bills and fuel, and all sorts of things which interest grown-ups and would bore you stiff").

On reflection, I think I have to nominate the school trip to Geneva in Genius, where Biddy's hat blows away and somehow most of her hairpins too, so her hair comes down and turns into this uncontrollable entity with a life of its own, until she can get to a shop and buy two packets of hairpins and a headscarf to subdue it...

ETA: And though I enjoy it as a Norman Wisdom-style 'film', the whole of Summer Term -
Erica bumps into Joey in Oxford Street (and the whole business of her being 'bequeathed' to Joey); is involved in the train crash (and all that that entails); falls down the stairs; knocks her books all over the floor and bangs her head on her desk trying to pick them up; trips over a pine tree root and breaks a bone in her foot; is attacked by a swarm of bees; comes to grief tobogganing downstairs on a tray; and has to be rescued from a near-to-collapse crater by Eugen Courvoisier. And Gretchen von Ahlen falls into a tub of Gaudenz’s patent long-lasting yellow-wash and gets v upset (and v yellow), and the Sale is spoiled by thunderstorm and torrential rain, complete with thunderbolt.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 11:46 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

Noreen wrote:
ETA: And though I enjoy it as a Norman Wisdom-style 'film', the whole of Summer Term -
Erica bumps into Joey in Oxford Street (and the whole business of her being 'bequeathed' to Joey); is involved in the train crash (and all that that entails); falls down the stairs; knocks her books all over the floor and bangs her head on her desk trying to pick them up; trips over a pine tree root and breaks a bone in her foot; is attacked by a swarm of bees; comes to grief tobogganing downstairs on a tray; and has to be rescued from a near-to-collapse crater by Eugen Courvoisier. And Gretchen von Ahlen falls into a tub of Gaudenz’s patent long-lasting yellow-wash and gets v upset (and v yellow), and the Sale is spoiled by thunderstorm and torrential rain, complete with thunderbolt.

Not to mention the cream bun episode at the beginning. You're right, it's very Norman Wisdom-esque!

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 13:20 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Thanks, abbeybufo - how could I have forgotten the cream cake incident?

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 10:45 
Climbing with your knees bent
Climbing with your knees bent

I think the Robin/Engelkind storyline is somewhat OTT, especially given how long it lasts. However, Robin does end up as a nice, sensible sort of character.

Summer Term is just ridiculous really.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2017, 14:06 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

All the multiple births in Madge, Joey and Dick's families.

And I agree, the Robin storyline up until Exile where she finally starts acting her age, is totally OTT. In fact, it almost ruined Head Girl of the Chalet School for me because so much of the start features Robin being carried around and treated like a baby when she's actually about 8 or 9 years old.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Slogging at Lessons :: Books .:|:. Lemon Biscuits & Liberty Bodices
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 20:30